Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question/Advice on Power supply units

Options
  • 08-06-2006 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

I recently bought an appliance in the states which came with the normal power supply/transformer with an output of 15v dc. The power supply/transformer and plug is the one unit and has an input of 110/120v ac and output of 15v dc at 1100mA.

I bought a stepdown transformer to reduce the 220/240 voltage to 110/120 and then plug the transformer that came with the appliance in to that. This allows the unit to operate perfectly, however there is a noticeable hum and together the power unit and transformer heat up to such a degree that I'm afraid they will fuse together.

Now my question

If I get a normal power supply that outputs 15v dc at 1100 mA will this suffice or will it blow the appliance, huh eh! any ideas? Is this a reaonable question or have i invented the cure to insomnia?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

The stepdown transformer may have something to do with it. Is it one of these cheap ones you get in a travel shop? If so you may need to buy a stepdown transformer that is rated for Heavy duty/continous use. The other option is to get a 220v power supply that outputs 15v dc at 1100 mA

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Thnaks fo the reply Head The Wall

The transformer I got was a continuous use rated one as you suggest.

I have located a transformer that will provide the output as you suggest, but will its input of 220v mA have any impact on the appliance?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

The power supply that came with the appliance is a stepdown transformer, so you had two working together. Using just the one going from 220V to 15V would be the ideal solution

Advertisement