Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creaking Floors

• 08-06-2006 2:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I've just had a double extension put on the house, the first floor has a tongue & grove timber floor. The floor has been down now 8 months and has been sanded and varnished. It has always creaked quite badly but I was hoping it might settle down over time. I have read on another tread regarding a corkboard floor that additional nails/screws might sort it out, would this be applicable to my floor or would lifting the boards and for example adding more noggins etc be a better move.

Any help welcome,
    Thanks
    D

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I would think that a few screws would help, as I did it for my mother's floor in my youth one time. I won't mention the pipe incident though :o.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭patbundy

try abit of talc first.brush it into the joints and give it awhile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

How far apart are the battens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dmck

About 600mm spacing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,793 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I would normally have expected battens every 450mm. It seems to me that the battens are too far apart. As Delly says - a few screws may do the trick.

However, I would think that the batten spacing may be the cause - particularly if there is "give" when you tread between the battens.

I'd try screws first on a well-used part of the floor for starters to see if that alleviates the issue. Don't go ripping up the floor just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dmck

will give it a go,
    ta

Advertisement