Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Corolla 1.4 Terra model

Options
  • 08-06-2006 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi All

I hope to purchase this car this weekend and was wondering if any of you have driven this car or had any experience with it. the car is a 2005 , 5 door model with almost 14K miles on the clock. It comes with a one year warranty from the dealer in question..The total price is 17K
    I'd be very interested in peoples opinion of this model.. also any idea on what I should be looking out for when I view the car on saturday??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

smarten31 wrote:
    Hi All

I hope to purchase this car this weekend and was wondering if any of you have driven this car or had any experience with it. the car is a 2005 , 5 door model with almost 14K miles on the clock. It comes with a one year warranty from the dealer in question..The total price is 17K
    I'd be very interested in peoples opinion of this model.. also any idea on what I should be looking out for when I view the car on saturday??

Thanks in advance

A 2005 Toyota Corolla should have the balance of the 3 year manufacturer's warranty left which in this case should be about 2 years not 1 that the dealer is giving you. Is it a main dealer?

The Corolla is very reliable, durable and generally has a good resale value. Very little goes wrong with them and they give good mpg from the 1.4 litre engine. It is also fairly nippy for a 1.4 litre. Some people will say they are boring but at the end of the day it does exactly what is says on the tin.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's mind blowingly boring. Drive it and you will loose the will to live;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They're not that bad! A Focus 1.4 LX isn't exactly exciting either Henry!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

colm_mcm wrote:
    They're not that bad! A Focus 1.4 LX isn't exactly exciting either Henry!

Agreed. You missed the ;)

The Corolla will be very reliable, and apart from the superior chassis and ride/handling a 1.4 LX Focus is fairly slow and basic.

they're not that bad to drive, fair enough they're not as sharp as a Focus, but most people won't notice that!

colours to avoid: Arctic White, Oasis Green, Frost Blue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

They're really lively for an ordinary 1.4. Add in Toyota reliability & great re-sale - I'd go so far as to say the best 1.4 hatch of this size in 'real life'.

Magazine road-testers (UK) base their preferences for the Focus/Golf on bigger engined/highly-speced models.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Why avoid frost blue?? Its a nice colour, never had anybody complain about it

It's very hard to sell knife fighter, Platinum, Stellar Blue, Night Sky Black, Chilli and Regency Red - no problem

Frost Blue quite popular on Corolla Versos though.

Any thoughts on the new glow in the dark Corolla in Mistral Blue? (Hilux too)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

We always find frost blue easy to sell, stellar blue is a terrible seller its prue mank.

That fuc7in mistral blue, what were they thinking, we have got awat okay on ours becuse they have been D4D's or lunas

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote:
    The Corolla is very reliable, durable and generally has a good resale value. Very little goes wrong with them and they give good mpg from the 1.4 litre engine. It is also fairly nippy for a 1.4 litre. Some people will say they are boring but at the end of the day it does exactly what is says on the tin.

Good summary. If you need an A-B vehicle that will keep its value and will never let you down. This is it. Most people fall into this category hence the popularity of Toyotas in Ireland. Nothing wrong with that

If you are a keen driver, you might want to test drive a few other cars

• Advertisement

unkel wrote:
    Good summary. If you need an A-B vehicle that will keep its value and will never let you down. This is it. Most people fall into this category hence the popularity of Toyotas in Ireland. Nothing wrong with that

If you are a keen driver, you might want to test drive a few other cars

Yes Unkel it may not drive like a Focus but the majority of owners that have a Corolla, Focus or Golf type cars probably don't really care or aren't bothered by how they drive as long as they are safe and comfortable. Imo if you need to be entertained in a car then look at something other than in this class of vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I have a frost blue colour. I find very light scratching by say, briars or even fingernail marks difficult to eliminate. What I dont like about the car is the aerial, it shouldnt have one in the first place, it makes the car look bad.
    There is a persistent rattle under the dashboard. One of the spotlights does not work and also there is a piece missing from the seat belt lock so one cant exactly belt up.

The car goes fine otherwise. What I am looking for is chrome door mirror covers. The ones on ebay do not fit as the later type are larger. I am also
    looking for a chrome panel to fit over the reg plate on the bootlid. Again the
    ebay items are only for Japanese or American corollas. I would like to get the Luna alloys that are fitted on the 06 but impossible to find and very expensive.

By the way, where can i get chrome wiper arms? I dont like the black ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

bazz26 wrote:
    Yes Unkel it may not drive like a Focus but the majority of owners that have a Corolla, Focus or Golf type cars probably don't really care or aren't bothered by how they drive as long as they are safe and comfortable. Imo if you need to be entertained in a car then look at something other than in this class of vehicle.

There are lots of entertaining cars in this segment sold by Opel, Ford and VW.

In recent years Toyota appear to have made a deliberate choice to go mainstream, e.g.
    - The MR2 has been killed,
    - The Celica is gone,
    - Toyota don't compete with the likes of the Golf GT TDi or GTI despite having better engines. The 3dr Corolla is reserved for the 1.4 petrol only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

maidhc wrote:
    - Toyota don't compete with the likes of the Golf GT TDi or GTI despite having better engines. The 3dr Corolla is reserved for the 1.4 petrol only.

Yeh sure the 2.0T VAG engine is sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭trant

Big Balls wrote:
    Yeh sure the 2.0T VAG engine is sh1te.

2.0T? I thought the only Mk4 2.0 Golf GTI was the 1998 / 1999 Mk4 non-turbo GTI, which was replaced by the 1.8T in 2000? The GT TDI are PD 110 / 130 / 150 1.9TDI? Or maybe you're referring to the Mk5 GTI engine, which from what I've heard is an absolute gem?

trant wrote:
    2.0T? I thought the only Mk4 2.0 Golf GTI was the 1998 / 1999 Mk4 non-turbo GTI, which was replaced by the 1.8T in 2000? The GT TDI are PD 110 / 130 / 150 1.9TDI? Or maybe you're referring to the Mk5 GTI engine, which from what I've heard is an absolute gem?

I was being sarcastic.

And he wasn't year specific.. there's a GT TDI and a GTI in the MKV too.

BTW a 1.8T MKIV GTI was available from 1998.

aren't we forgetting about the 190bhp VVTL-i Corolla T-Sport?

What engine size is that Colm? I was trying to find the spec on the higher end Corolla on the Toyota website but there's nothing there about it. 1.4 is as high as they seem to go on the site. :confused:

1.8 litre. they're fast, in a Civic-type-R-rev-the-nuts-out-of-it kinda way.

The depreciation is nearly as rapid as the acceleration though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

colm_mcm wrote:
    1.8 litre. they're fast, in a Civic-type-R-rev-the-nuts-out-of-it kinda way.

The depreciation is nearly as rapid as the acceleration though

Its not sold in Ireland though is it?

• Advertisement

yeah, we had one last year. ridiculously fast as long as you have no sympathy for the engine!

6 speed box is super sweet. doesn't look at all sporty and costs €34,500 over here.

There is also a limited edition 1.8 litre Corolla T Sport Compressor available in the UK. It uses a supercharger and has 215bhp. They only made 250 of them. The 1.8 VVTi-L engine will no longer be available when this model is replaced due to strict EU emmission regulations.

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/generic_editorial.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0768494103.1150148035@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccaddideddjimcfngcfkmdfkidfgf.0&navRoot=toyota_1024_root&portal=null&edname=CO6_compressor&catname=%2ftoyota_1024_root%2fmain_nav%2fpageTopNav%2fZone+CORROLLA&menuid=45629&zone=Zone+CORROLLA&skin=Standardundefined

I wonder how it copes with 215bhp through the front wheels.

Not particularly well I'd bet! Although the Lotus Exige Cup can handle the 243bhp that they've managed to get out of the Toyota unit!

Advertisement