Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Linux Kernel

• 08-06-2006 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Can anyone help me?
    I know a little about linux. I need to know what the kernel is about.

How many MB it typically takes up?
    Is it hardware specific?
    What are its functions?
    I hav installled Redhat9 sucessfully on an old Dell Dimension XPS D233 (P2) with 256 MB Ram. For waht reasons would I need to replace or patch the kernel?

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

ollielaroo wrote:
    Can anyone help me?
    I know a little about linux. I need to know what the kernel is about.

How many MB it typically takes up?
    Is it hardware specific?
    What are its functions?
    I hav installled Redhat9 sucessfully on an old Dell Dimension XPS D233 (P2) with 256 MB Ram. For waht reasons would I need to replace or patch the kernel?

Thank you.

The "kernel" is the main part of the operating system, that controls all other programs running on the PC, and controls underlining access to the PC hardware (all other programs talk through the kernel to get to the hardware)

When you compile the source code for the linux kernel (www.kernel.org) you can decide what options and hardware support you want included in the kernel. Older Linux distributions came with a large kernel with a lot of hardware support included, but if you are compiling your own version of the kernel you can ignore hardware which you don't have, thus reducing the kernel size.

Depending on how you compile the Linux kernel the size can range from very small (versions on the kernel can fit on a 1.4MB floppy disk), to massive in size 100MB+, depending on what options you include.

Recent versions of the linux kernel included support for dynamic modules. These modules can support hardware that used to have to be included in the kernel itself, and can be loaded at boot time.

So with a modern Linux distribute you will probably have one smallish main kernel and load of modules installed.

Only the ones specific for your machine's hardware and options will be loaded at boot, which reduces the amount of RAM the kernel needs to take up. If you need the harddrive space back you can uninstall any modules you never use (modules for hardware you don't have), where as before it was all or nothing in the kernel.

A reason to upgrade to a new version of the kernel is to allow for support of new hardward and features, and very occationally to fix security bugs in your version of your kernel. It is a myth that you need to (or even should) upgrade your kernel all the time with every new release.

If your kernel is working fine for your machine's hardware, then it is probably best to leave it as it is, unless you are effected by any bugs in that version of the kernel.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ollielaroo

Thanks Wicknight.

I am qualified in Tech Support, mainly windows. I'll be starting a new job soon which will involve mostly command line tasks on linux boxes. I am not a programmer but have been exposed to some basic admin bash scripts. Do u know any good sites where I get to know how simple perl scripts work?

ollielaroo wrote:
    Thanks Wicknight.

I am qualified in Tech Support, mainly windows. I'll be starting a new job soon which will involve mostly command line tasks on linux boxes. I am not a programmer but have been exposed to some basic admin bash scripts. Do u know any good sites where I get to know how simple perl scripts work?

Perl can get quite hard to remember, I would recommend that if you are going to be doing a lot of Perl (is this a webhosting company you work for?) you should buy a book on Perl. It will be worth it in the long run, since you won't have to be remember all the different webpages you have looked at.

Not sure which book to recommend since I haven't touched Perl since college. The O'Reilly books are generally good, so to are the No Strach Press books. Perhaps post a request for a good book in Programming forum.

If you want to learn more about Linux and the bash shell I would recommend the online books (called "Guides") on the linux doc project (www.tldp.org)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ollielaroo

Thanks wicknight,

Not web server stuff.

May I show u the job spec..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

The shell is easy enough, but Perl will take a while to master. Get yourself some books from O'Reilly maybe (www.oreilly.com)

• Advertisement

ollielaroo wrote:
    Thanks wicknight,

Not web server stuff.

May I show u the job spec..

As Jakkas says, get a book on Bash and a book on Perl, install a modern Linux distrubution (Fedora is probably a good bet since the job is RedHat) and start messing around with scripts and commands

Advertisement