Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ world cup coverage..."LIVE"

• 08-06-2006 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

Will uncle Eamo Wreak Havoc This Time Around?

The 2002 World Cup saw suspensions, walkouts and heated altercations, and that was just in RTE’s studio coverage of the finals in Japan and South Korea. In this years coverage of the World Cup finals in Germany, Graeme Souness and Kenny Cunningham will join regulars John Giles, Eamon Dunphy, Liam Brady, Ray Houghton and Trevor Steven plus Denis Irwin and veteran of Ireland's 2002 campaign Mark Kinsella, while premiership referee Dermot Gallagher will be keeping close watch on the men in the middle for RTÉ viewers for the duration of the tournament. As ever, Bill O'Herlihy will anchor the ‘LIVE’ broadcasts, along with Peter Collins and Con Murphy, while George Hamilton, Darragh Maloney, Stephen Alkin and Ger Canning will join the legendary Jimmy Magee, who will be commentating on his 11th World Cup, as they provide commentary from Germany.

Ger Gilroy will be touring around Germany in a camper van, giving Irish fans a look at the sights and sounds of the greatest show on earth. Ger and his team will cover more than 7106km as they visit all 12 World Cup cities to take a look at how the tournament is being celebrated outside the stadiums. With the new line-up in place, William Hill have begun to speculate as to what might happen during this year’s coverage.

William Hill’s - RTE World Cup coverage specials – 20/1 Eamon Dunphy to walk off the set during a live broadcast, 33/1 Ger Gilroy’s - Camper van to get stolen in Germany, 33/1 Graeme Souness to wear a Rangers shirt during the live coverage, 66/1 Eamon Dunphy and Graeme Souness to have punch up live on air, 66/1 Bill O’Herlihy not to say okey-doke during the “live” coverage of the World Cup, 100/1 Eamon Dunphy to wear an official England blazer during an RTE broadcast of the World Cup, 100/1 Jimmy Magee to fall asleep during one of his live commentaries.

The first person to curse, live on air during the World Cup?
    2/1 Eamon Dunphy, 3/1 Liam Brady, 7/1 Kenny Cunningham, 7/1 Ray Houghton, 9/1 Mark Kinsella, 12/1 Dennis Irwin, 12/1 Trevor Steven, 12/1 Graeme Souness, 12/1 John Giles, 16/1 Dermot Gallagher

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Its a good line up really and you'll always get them giving out, unlike their English counterparts that are all lick arses.

Cant stand Houghton though, talks awful rubbish. Irwin is great though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

yeah totally agree. houghton is crap. but irwin very good.

houghton is so negative. he always goes against the play. rooney scores an over head volley to win the world cup, houghton would comment he should have passed.

bill o herlihy is great for a laugh. surely thats the only reason rté employ him coz he hasn't a clue about football.

re: jimmy magee - seen him commenting at the bernard dunne fight. he's old. he looks really old compared to his hay day. i reckon this will be his last world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I think I've been saying this will be Jimmy's last world cup for the last 4 tournaments!

He's a legend, and as long as his sight and voice hold up, he'll carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Yeah houghton is a dunce.
    2/1 for dunphy to be the first person to swear on live broadcast? thats great odds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Yeah can't stand RTÉ coverage. Unintelligent, tacky, always giving out and they all hold grudges against certain players and teams!

• Advertisement

anyone else notice jim beglins hatrid for liverpool during last seasons CL?

why Jim, why

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

Don't think Bill "Okey Doke so" O'Herlihy will be there for the first few matches, as he is giving evidence at the Mahon tribunal ath the min..

Dunphy & Giles make the RTE coverage compulsive.. Dunphy's "tired & emotional" appearance in '02 was classic!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

Give me Bill, John and Eamon any day over Gary Lineker, Gabbi Yorath, Terry Venables and co.

Will Apres Match be on this year?

(RTE World Cup Preview show tonight at 8 btw)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

Yeah, whats the story with Aprez Match?

Hope it is on.. some of the bits from last W Cup were brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

DMC wrote:
    I think I've been saying this will be Jimmy's last world cup for the last 4 tournaments!

He's a legend, and as long as his sight and voice hold up, he'll carry on.

legend - indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

rcs wrote:
    Don't think Bill "Okey Doke so" O'Herlihy will be there for the first few matches, as he is giving evidence at the Mahon tribunal ath the min..

Dunphy & Giles make the RTE coverage compulsive.. Dunphy's "tired & emotional" appearance in '02 was classic!!

is there any footage of this incident floating around???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

They should have got Podge and Rodge to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I have a feeling Eamo is probably not going to be at his best/worst this time round. You relly need Ireland in it for that kind of thing, prefereblay with a dodgy English manager...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

That would be a good idea. Apre match are getting old i feel. The "gut morgan mein pixies" from 2002 still makes me laugh though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,510 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Dermot Gallagher aswell, thats interesting. Always thought he was a good ref. But apart from that, they have lined up a very good team of pundits. And that they should all be neutral, it'll make it very good stuff too.

On another note, the Irish Times have a good team covering the WC. Humphries(who is always good), Paddy Agnew(reading his book about Italian football, excellent), Hannigan, Lawrenson, and another one or two good writers. The Irish seem to be able to get a good, apt team together for the media side of tournaments. If only we qualified now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Neutral? RTÉ? Hahaha!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,510 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Neutral? RTÉ? Hahaha!

As i said, they SHOULD be. Maybe didnt put any emphasis on this word ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Anyone watching the preview on now, very good so far.

Dunphy already calling Sven a clown :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Anyone else catch Liam turning over his tournament table at the end, it had FourFourTwo in the corner. Ah don't ever change RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

rcs wrote:
    Yeah, whats the story with Aprez Match?

Hope it is on.. some of the bits from last W Cup were brilliant

Apres Match will on tv throughout the World Cup :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

not souness, the man talks so much bullsh*t!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

what time is the opening ceremony?

is there one?

(sorry for the double post)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

think its a 4:30pm for bout half an hour, then kick off at ~5pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

wish i still had rte, they are the most entertaining (when the prime time panel are there)

I'd also like to see a youtube or whatever or dunphies 'tired and emotional', i heard that phrase but never saw the incident

Mossy Monk wrote:
    Apres Match will on tv throughout the World Cup :)

Deadly! should be good. They'll have to do a father ted and dougal sketch for Bobby and Stan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

There's ceremonial stuff happening now. Players from all the past world cup winning sides walked out onto the pitch. It was rather cool to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

eyerer wrote:
    wish i still had rte, they are the most entertaining (when the prime time panel are there)

I'd also like to see a youtube or whatever or dunphies 'tired and emotional', i heard that phrase but never saw the incident

I'd imagine MrJoeSoap or Eirebhoy could pull it out of somewhere. Hopefully anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

the commentator just said the Ivory Coast flag was an Irish flag :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Liam Brady hadnt done any homework on the German squad - I havent seen any of these players stand out in the last few champions leagues and those two are 21 years old, one of them might have signed for Munich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I had a feeling this would happen. Everyone predicted dunphy and souness to go hate each other. I think they will be close to giving each other rimmers at the end of the world cup(do william hill have odds for that ones actually).

I think they will get on like a house on fire. Expect to see them both coming in "tired and emotional" after a night out in bucks together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Pigman II wrote:

the man is a legend :D 'niall quinn is an idiot' , 'ah come on now eamonn you can't be saying that sort of stuff'......

it's hilarious watching them!

Everytime I see Dunphy reading that blurb about Keane (6:45) it keeps reminding of Alan Partridge reading a review from "What Car" magazine over the phone to his ex-wife in order to try get her back.

Hilarious to watch but what a petty little drunkard Dunphy is. He's a disgrace to himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Pigman II wrote:
    Hilarious to watch but what a petty little drunkard Dunphy is. He's a disgrace to himself.

put it this way, if you wanted someone to haggle a price down for you, he'd be your man :D

he's persistant & in your face. he also has the wrinkliest face ive ever seen.

"i think niall quinn is a creep"

3 sentences later, "i dont believe personal insults help this situation". (when bill quotes from somehwere that eamonn has got mc carthy sacked along with his cronies)

"in terms of courage, conviction and achievement, he's way ahead of these two guys (points at brady and giles)"

"niall quinn is an idiot"

"this is a man who doesnt showboat like niall quinn"

ya gotta feel sorry for big quinn :p i'd pay to watch dumphy in debates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Some random thoughts -

- Souness is consistently the best contributor on Sky, in a pure football sense. He talks in terms of tactics, not personalities.
    - Aprés Match - Surely RTE could put the streams up on their website.
    - Is Steven Alkin going a bit 'ITV'? Some very strange comments tonight.
    - Didn't see last night's preview, but there's no doubt Dunphy will be licking Souness' arse. It's what he does best. Remember Rod Liddle?
    - RTE deserve plaudits, they always do a decent job of these things
    - I like the music they're using, sort of a Germanic Nessun Dorma

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

They even found time to slagg off the BBC coverage and Ian Wright today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Lemlin wrote:
    They even found time to slagg off the BBC coverage and Ian Wright today.
    Dead right,BBC dumbed down their coverage about 5 years ago.
    They used to be very good to watch,now its silly .
    Lineker tries to make a joke out of everything and Hansen is a pain.
    As for Wright,the guy is a moron.
    He will be jumping around like a donkey tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

what did they say about the BBC coverage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Mossy Monk wrote:
    what did they say about the BBC coverage?

They (well Dunphy anyway) were saying about how the BBC pundits didn't criticise Gerrard for his dive in the recent friendly.
    SpAcEd OuT wrote:
    the commentator just said the Ivory Coast flag was an Irish flag :rolleyes:

Ah yes, classic Jimmy Magee. Couldn't believe it when he said that.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Bastards, I want RTE coverage!

• Advertisement

JIMMY MAGEE COMMENTING ON MEXICO v IRAN

iran score the equaliser to make it 1-1

and a fabulous goal from mexico to make it all square ya gotta love him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

He should have been retired long ago.

1.Houghton - "RVN never comes short for the ball, He always wants it over the top"

In the first ten minutes RVN dropped to show for the ball about 15 times.

Ray, thanks for the goal in '94 but your still a Fe*kin edjit.

2. Dunphy - "Its like watching Birmingham v Bolton" - Talking about england and paraguay.

3. I love the way giles when he's commentating refers to the players by their numbers. It's real old fashioned`. He'd say something like: "Number 21 kept him on side, very bad defending by number 21"

RTE are great entertainment may the woeful punditry continue!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

I love listening to Giles bitching about how rubbish teams are. He was brilliant today giving out about Japan. A bad pass.."Oh my God" under his breath - great!

He is still the best man for analysing a game as it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

elurhs wrote:
    He is still the best man for analysing a game as it happens.

By claiming (even having seen a replay) that Wanchope was offside for Costa Rica's first goal?

Who was the main commentator for them USA vs Czech match just on now? he was another idiot. Christ, you its bad when george hamilton is the best commentator you have on your books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Does anyone know how the RTE commentators felt about the referee? :rolleyes:

I think they loved them. It was great when he said, refering to the ref "how can someone make so many mistakes."

why hello pot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Yeah Houghton is ****e alrite, but he scored the 2 greatest goals in Irish history so cant complian to much

20/1 Eamon Dunphy to walk off the set during a live broadcast

pretty good odds ^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Yeah can't stand RTÉ coverage. Unintelligent, tacky, always giving out and they all hold grudges against certain players and teams!

think ur getting confused with ITV m8

• Advertisement
Advertisement