Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTÉ world cup coverage..."LIVE"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

out of the RTÉ, BBC and ITV

RTÉ beats them by a mile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

what ever happened to dermot gallagher? i thought he was meant to have his own spot commenting on all the refs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭dohboy

The_B_Man wrote:
    what ever happened to dermot gallagher? i thought he was meant to have his own spot commenting on all the refs?

They said tonight he'll be in during the week.

Rte's coverage is miles better than the opposition.

RTE for, all it's faults, is entertaining (dunphy foaming at the mouth and being completely irrational) and informative (giles co-comentating, brady in the studio, both give good insight). Irwin was decent aswell tonight.

The commentators aren't up to scratch, although darragh maloney has a bit of personality.

if you like pundits to blow smoke up players holes, or reinforcing myths perpetuated by the Sky approved football hegemony, then flick over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Have to say I have been very impressed with Cunnigham's addition to the proceedings. He was the best on yesterday during the first game (can't stand Peter Collins, and kinsella wasn't up to much either). Then he was on for the next game with Dunphy and Irwin. Irwin isn't bad either, but Dunphy did his usual and came out with some outrageous comment, Irwin just sat there squirming, while Cunningham gave an honest answer.

All in all RTE's coverage has been very good and has improved greatly over the years. Even for the rubbish games ie. S.Korea v Togo, ye'd still watch them just for a bit of the auld half time and full time analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Pigman II wrote:

Anyone have a copy of the time Dunphy came on dressed in Cameroon colours and supporting Cameroon? It was the first game of the last World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Has anyone else noticed that Dunphy has his head lodged firmly up Souness' arse? Anytime the drunken fool makes a statement, it's "Isn't that right Graeme?" or "Don't you think so Graeme?"

Has anyone else noticed that Dunphy has his head lodged firmly up Souness' arse? Anytime the drunken fool makes a statement, it's "Isn't that right Graeme?" or "Don't you think so Graeme?"

I noticed that the very first day. Think I posted it a few threads back. Suprising considering Dunphy said Souness was a manager who couldn't condition his players earlier this season. I bet he wouldn't say that to Souness now.

I wouldn't mind but he praises Keane for having courage and conviction, maybe he should take try to do the same every once in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

3. I love the way giles when he's commentating refers to the players by their numbers. It's real old fashioned`. He'd say something like: "Number 21 kept him on side, very bad defending by number 21"

RTE are great entertainment may the woeful punditry continue!

Giles had me in stitches in the opening game with Germany v Costa rica......at the start of the second half he was calling them "Porta Rica" and the a few minutes later he was calling them "corta rica"......... did anyone anyone else hear this (or maybe its me hearing things again!)

Agree with most on here that I would rather watch RTE than the rest!!! really enjoyed yesterday after the England game........the 5 (inc Bill) lads absolutley destroyed Englands performance........great entertainment:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

MBC wrote:
    Giles had me in stitches in the opening game with Germany v Costa rica......at the start of the second half he was calling them "Porta Rica" and the a few minutes later he was calling them "corta rica"......... did anyone anyone else hear this (or maybe its me hearing things again!)
    It was "Porta Rico... Costa Rico.... Costa Rica". :)

Souness' true colours came out after the Polish game. :) The Polish manager was consoling his player after getting sent off. Souness says something like "what's he doing that for, he should punch him in the nose". :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

at the start of the second half he was calling them "Porta Rica" and the a few minutes later he was calling them "corta rica"......... did anyone anyone else hear this (or maybe its me hearing things again!)

He had this great moment where he went 'Porta Rico, Costa Rico, Costa Rica'.
    It was hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

dohboy wrote:
    The commentators aren't up to scratch, although darragh maloney has a bit of personality.
    I personally think Darragh Maloney is the best live commentator by a mile.
    I seems to know what he's talking about and doesn't get off on over pronouncing player's names alá a certain Mr. Hamilton.

Classic. They're having an argument about Crouch pulling hair now.

Pigman II wrote:
    Nah, that's the click of Dunphy going on his his sycophantic rant on how wonderfully fantastic Keane is. The one he's looking for is the "Tired & Emotional" clip during the 2002 WC were he went to the RTE studio stilled p1ssed and had to be sent home for being "Tired & Emotional". In other words, "Langered!"

Anybody got the infamous T&E clip?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

BaZmO* wrote:
    I personally think Darragh Maloney is the best live commentator by a mile.
    I seems to know what he's talking about and doesn't get off on over pronouncing player's names alá a certain Mr. Hamilton.

Have to agree, didn't really think he was all that great b4 the W.C. but he has been by far the best commentator for RTE so far..

Darragh & Johhny G. commentating for World Cup Final.. with Eamonn, Liam & Dennis (ive never smiled in my life) Irwin in studio...

If you wanna bit of the feel good factor... have a look at this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2tjfbNRdz8

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Me barfs.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Did anyone else think Souness was embaressed listening to the tirades after the Ingerland game?
    At one stage Bill asked him to comment on Sven's interview and he just said 'ask them' as he pointed right.

Dr. Nick wrote:
    Did anyone else think Souness was embaressed listening to the tirades after the Ingerland game?
    At one stage Bill asked him to comment on Sven's interview and he just said 'ask them' as he pointed right.
    I'd say he's shocked at how much coverage we give England games in this country. Dunphy and Brady have to refer to England for everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I am liking Souness more and more, when he gets the chance to talk. hes been spot on with nearly everything so far.

Nice to see pundits who know stuff on the tv.

kdjac

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'd say he's shocked at how much coverage we give England games in this country. Dunphy and Brady have to refer to England for everything.

That's about right. I'm surprised especially at Chippy and Giles, who live and earn their ££££'s there. Then again, in defence of Brady, Arsenal are hardly an English club ;)

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    I am liking Souness more and more, when he gets the chance to talk. hes been spot on with nearly everything so far.

Nice to see pundits who know stuff on the tv.

kdjac

I've said it a while now (probably earlier in this thread too). Souness is THE best football analyst on TV.
    I've often wondered how he isn't a top, top manager.
    I suppose it's down to his man-management unfortunately.

Dr. Nick wrote:
    I've often wondered how he isn't a top, top manager.
    I suppose it's down to his man-management unfortunately.

I think he is just came across new age pro footballers. Got bburn playing nice ball and other than Liverpool did quite well but he got the aging team there.

Newcastle were **** before he took over them and **** after,shame that didnt work out.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    I think he is just came across new age pro footballers. Got bburn playing nice ball and other than Liverpool did quite well but he got the aging team there.

Newcastle were **** before he took over them and **** after,shame that didnt work out.

kdjac

Not sure about that. Don't want another Souness appreciation thread but at Newcastle he inherited a very good team. They had just finished 5th in the League after all and finished third and fourth in a good few of the seasons before that AFAIK.

Just look at the results Glenn Roeder got after Souness left too. They've some very good players and always have money to buy players. Just a shame he wasted most on it on Rangers rejects. I'm still hoping for Boumsong to have a shocker and Eamo to turn round and ask him how the hell did he pay 8.5 million for him!

The nice football he got Blackburn playing was what lead to the name Blackeye Rovers actually. Look at Newcastle's disciplinary record and you'll see that, it went downhill after he became manager.

Maybe he's found his new vocation. Of the RTE panalists he's the only one I want to hear.

Mike.

Lemlin wrote:

The nice football he got Blackburn playing was what lead to the name Blackeye Rovers actually. Look at Newcastle's disciplinary record and you'll see that, it went downhill after he became manager.

Evertime i watched BBurn under souness they payed nice ball, had good ideas with Tugay as his "player" and others supporting him, he wasnt pats manager but he still got got a a umm (how to say this without offending Bburn fans)a "team" playing some very nice ball. They played very well under him imo and were worth watching.

Newcastle in hindsight was bad move but he felt he was better than his previous "team" so took the job. Had he stayed with BBurn i would have expected a trophy as they were going that way, now they battlee under Hughes and dont play that nice ball they did with Souness.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Evertime i watched BBurn under souness they payed nice ball, had good ideas with Tugay as his "player" and others supporting him, he wasnt pats manager but he still got got a a umm (how to say this without offending Bburn fans)a "team" playing some very nice ball. They played very well under him imo and were worth watching.

Newcastle in hindsight was bad move but he felt he was better than his previous "team" so took the job. Had he stayed with BBurn i would have expected a trophy as they were going that way, now they battlee under Hughes and dont play that nice ball they did with Souness.

kdjac

When would you of expected the trophy? When Rovers just scraped past relegation the season before he left or when we were doing terrible the season after, rooted to the bottom of the table without a win and with him about to be sacked. Just wondering.

I think you're remembering the nice ball that was played under Souness when Duff and Dunn were there in 2003. Both left that Summer. The season after Blackburn battled and only Stead's goals at the end of the year kept them up. That was when the term Blackeye Rovers started.

Hughes took over early in the 2005 season and the team won his first game in charge, their first win of the season. The damage had already been done with Souness' terrible signings (Lorenzo Amoruso for example, another Rangers reject) and Hughes had to get the team to battle for the rest of the year. It was some of his signings in January, Ryan Nelsen, Robbie Savage and Aaron Mokoena, that helped the team stay up. Souness' big signing Barry Ferguson, on ther other hand, jumped ship and buggered off back to Scotland saying that PL derbies couldn't match the intensity of an Old Firm game. Yes, Barry, a whole four games to look forward to a year, whope-de-woo.

It was Hughes who got them battling alright, albeit not in the Souness way of hacking legs but closing down and not giving the opposition time on the ball, and playing football again this year. Just watch the Tottenham or Chelsea games for good examples of great football Blackburn can play.

Souness is a good coach but once he loses the dressing room he has a hard time getting the support back. He was never going to succeed at Newcastle as most of the fans wanted him gone before he took over. He said last week that when a team doesn't perform the manager gets all the blame when sometimes the players just don't put in any effort. I couldn't agree more.

Lemlin wrote:

It was Hughes who got them battling alright, albeit not in the Souness way of hacking legs but closing down and not giving the opposition time on the ball, and playing football again this year. Just watch the Tottenham or Chelsea games for good examples of great football Blackburn can play.

Again not a BBurn fan but now if they on tv i dont watch them but when Souness was manager i did, Tugay (a proper player) played well for him. Does he play anymore? always like dhim superb player.

Your a BBurn fan watch them week in week out i dont i watch the PL for entertainment Bburn atm entertain as much as having pins stuck in my eyes when he was manager they played nice ball, didnt win but played nice passing attacking ball. It was kinda like watching the africans play really. Cept lacking the one or 2 players to make them great.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Again not a BBurn fan but now if they on tv i dont watch them but when Souness was manager i did, Tugay (a proper player) played well for him. Does he play anymore? always like dhim superb player.

Your a BBurn fan watch them week in week out i dont i watch the PL for entertainment Bburn atm entertain as much as having pins stuck in my eyes when he was manager they played nice ball, didnt win but played nice passing attacking ball. It was kinda like watching the africans play really. Cept lacking the one or 2 players to make them great.

kdjac

Tugay is older now and comes on alot as a sub. Stevie Reid has replaced him.

TBH I'm just going to ignore you're other opinion, its obvious you haven't watched the team of late but you are entitled to it.

What you were watching when Souness was manager is anyone's guess but have a look at the fair play tables for both Blackburn and Newcastle when he was in charge and you'll get an indicator of the nice, attacking football he gets his teams to play. His teams tend to attack the opposition and not the ball.

Lemlin wrote:

What you were watching when Souness was manager is anyone's guess but have a look at the fair play tables for both Blackburn and Newcastle when he was in charge and you'll get an indicator of the nice, attacking football he gets his teams to play. His teams tend to attack the opposition and not the ball.

Your a fan of a small club staying in the division should be your ultimate goal, playing nice ball along the way should be a bonus.

Wtf has fair play and cards got to do with playing decent football.

I have watched them of late all 3ish games they had on Sky sports the same as you, they are awful now as i said last season they battle 1st to defend create oppurtunities 2nd, with souness they played to win, but again thats just what the tv shows.

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    Your a fan of a small club staying in the division should be your ultimate goal, playing nice ball along the way should be a bonus.

Wtf has fair play and cards got to do with playing decent football.

I have watched them of late all 3ish games they had on Sky sports the same as you, they are awful now as i said last season they battle 1st to defend create oppurtunities 2nd, with souness they played to win, but again thats just what the tv shows.

kdjac

The cards and fair play table are proof that Souness gets his teams to do little more than kick the opposition into submission. Newcastle dropped way down the table form when he arrived. If his teams are playing free flowing football, why do they foul so much? That's my point.

When Hughes took over the team in 2004, Blackburn had a poor team and he had to follow those same tactics. He has changed that this season with his own players. Just look at all the plaudits the team got this season from the papers and other managers like Crubishley and Jol. As for watching the games on Sky, I watch them on Rovers World too.

Now this is vying way off topic. My two cents on Souness: good pundit, dreadful manager.

Did you see the Chelsea game? It was on Sky and they played good football in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If his teams are playing free flowing football, why do they foul so much? That's my point.

When United used to play their most attacking 4-4-2's, they used to foul a ****load. Its cause when you commit players forward, when they counter attack, the best thing you can do is foul them.

PHB wrote:
    When United used to play their most attacking 4-4-2's, they used to foul a ****load. Its cause when you commit players forward, when they counter attack, the best thing you can do is foul them.

I think there's a big difference between Blackburn playing under Souness and United's 4-4-2 attacking teams of old. Blackburn used to play a 5-4-1 under Souness and still foul. A 5-4-1 is hardly a formation for counter attacking football.

When is Kenny Cunningham going to realise that he is bald & get rid of that ridiculous fringe he has at the front of his head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

rcs wrote:
    When is Kenny Cunningham going to realise that he is bald & get rid of that ridiculous fringe he has at the front of his head

Was thinking the same thing about Peter Collins. Surely that's a rug?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

The only reason i watch the coverage on RTE2 is because Dunphy, Giles and Brady all talk sense and Irwin isn't two bad either.I can't stand souness, houghton and cunnigham is just usless. I think he has twitch in his eye or he makes some funny movement anyways. I would to see Dunphy on skyports with say Andy Gray, that would be worth paying to watch. I hate watching BBC as they always mention england every game and they are so bring borning as well. Mark Lawerence was a great in his day, but commentary isn't for him and Ian Wright never talks sense always talking bull. I wont even mention UTV.

wont even mention UTV.

Here Here! Aren't even worth commenting on. Altho the legend that is Jim "When I was at Liverpool" Beglin is doing a great job since he switched from RTE!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

For me RTE has the best coverage by a country mile, BBC's is ok and I can watch, ITV well less said about them the better really.

The panel are by far the most entertaining, anyone see when they were reviewing the Angola versus Mexico match and showing clips of the goalkeeper, Giles just broke down laughing, you wouldn't get a panel like that anywhere else.

Anyone listen to games on bbc fivelive? Arguably the best place to be really. I wish I had BBCi so could listen to fivelive while watching. Apart from good commentators they also have better background bits and pieces. Danny Mills is turning out to be an exellent co-commentator/pundit.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Black_Couch

Jimmy Magee is certainly the best commentator RTE have although I also like the guy with the glasses who presents the boxing sometimes, hes better than george hamilton anyway. The co-commentators aren't so good. Kinsella and Houghton particularly bad I feel.

Dunphy is a must see just for his sheer controversial nature.
    Brady seems to think he knows it all. Hes ok though, so is Giles. Think the three of them are always trying to see the bigger picture and always analyse in a negative sense.

Cunningham has been good so far, knows his stuff. Souness surprisingly enough, has also showed a good knowledge and discusses tactics well.

I have to say though, i HATE that presenter who used to do the formula 1, he might still present it. He never had a clue in F1 and he doesn't have a clue in football either. I despise him. He has an irrating voice aswel.

Irwin is relaxing a bit more now, but his cliché count remains high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

mike65 wrote:
    Anyone listen to games on bbc fivelive? Arguably the best place to be really. I wish I had BBCi so could listen to fivelive while watching. Apart from good commentators they also have better background bits and pieces. Danny Mills is turning out to be an exellent co-commentator/pundit.

Mike.

I heard Mills the other night and was surprised by how good he was. He has a future there.

Why can't RTE do the whole interactive thing like BBC, and let you have a choice of commentary?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

bill o hurlihey (spelling ? ) lives down my road.
    we used to wreck his head by shouting "LIVE" at him at every opportunity

"Bill O Hurlihey LIVE at Texaco"
    "Bill O Hurlihey LIVE on his driveway"
    "Bill O Hurlihey LIVE in Dunnes Stores"

i honest to god think the man has nothing but pure hate for me & my mates

Jazzy wrote:
    bill o hurlihey (spelling ? ) lives down my road.
    we used to wreck his head by shouting "LIVE" at him at every opportunity

"Bill O Hurlihey LIVE at Texaco"
    "Bill O Hurlihey LIVE on his driveway"
    "Bill O Hurlihey LIVE in Dunnes Stores"

i honest to god think the man has nothing but pure hate for me & my mates
    Ha ha. That's brilliant!! :D

I like! Bet he did'nt!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Off the topic but why is RTE's coverage roughly 2 seconds faster than the English terrestrial tv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

People might be posting about this on the match thread itself, but I'll put it in here.

Last night, the magical words of "great player" came up again as an issue on the RTE panel after all these years. Many will probably remember the Platini/Dunphy origination of this. Apre Match have used it a fair bit.

Requelme was the player in question and it was Gilesy's line that whilst Requelme was a very good player, I even think at one stage he said he was a brilliant player, he went on to say that he was not a great player. He gave the reason that he was not industrious enough. Brady and Souness were backing up the case for Requelme to join those that could be used in the same adjective sentence that contained the description "great player". Liam even used Platini as an analagous situation, ie, a player that didnt track back, or go after the ball after losing it.

This for the viewer was a bit of a comedy sketch. I think in some way as the match didnt live up to potential expectations (more in the other thread as to why 0-0 was a good enoug result for both teams), the pundis had little to discuss. O'Herlihy called it boring, clearly he doesnt recognise skills and good football in front of his nose, or understand the situation of the world cup that these two teams are in. I agree with Dunphy on one thing, "You havent a clue Bill". But no doubt, Dunphy rates Rooney as a "great player", even though he is only 20 bordering on 21.

RTE should ban the discussion of that phrase "great player" as its a touchy one. Dare not use it without prior consent.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Did I imagine it, or have the panel spent the last three England games saying Carrick should be playing for England, yet now Dunphy and Sourness say he's not good enough and the Canuck journeyman should play in his stead?

Sure what do you expect from pundits, they chop and change to suit the result/performance.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Not as bad as "gay sex on the bbc". What was he thinking? Still the funniest thing ever. BBC won't be happy though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement