Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blu ray drives

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

:eek: £600 sterling! A bit soon to be buying one yet. Another year or 2 methinks..

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Akula

I dont think bluray will win the war anyway. It was all going to hinge on the PS3.... but now that the PS3 is looking a bit like a lame duck I think Blueray is in trouble.

Betting we'll see dual format burners though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Also you will be able to but a high Dev DVD add on for the 360 cheap enought. And as far as I know commercial movie high Def DVD's will come with regular DVD on the other side of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Akula wrote:
    I dont think bluray will win the war anyway. It was all going to hinge on the PS3.... but now that the PS3 is looking a bit like a lame duck I think Blueray is in trouble.

Betting we'll see dual format burners though.

Blu Ray isn't totally dependent on the PS3, the PS3 is certainlyit's biggest advantage in getting a foothold, but if you remove that from the equasion the format still has a lot going for it.
    Wiki wrote:
    HD DVD initially received more support than Blu-ray from film studios and distributors. This early lead, however, has now faded. The two formats are now closer in the amount of industry support. However HD-DVD has a good bit less exclusive content provider support: only Universal Studios, among the majors. Blu-Ray has MGM, Sony Pictures Entertainment, and 20th Century Fox among the majors, as well as other smaller studios.

Add to that the fact that Dell are throwing their weight behind Blu Ray with plans for it to be standard in all Dell machines in a couple of years and that's a big chunk of the PC market too. HD DVD has a head start by being out first though, but Blu Ray looks to have more going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

We moved to DVD from VHS because of the difference, we still love DVD.

Who cares bout BluRay

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Probably those that are buying HD televisions at the moment. As with all technology, shelf life for stuff can be rather short.

Advertisement