Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 306 - 98-01 TDi - Opinions

Options
  • 08-06-2006 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Looking to change from my Focus 1.6. Its tough on fuel and i reckon I don't need a large 5-door. Want something a little smaller.

Any opinions on these cars?

I would be buying from the UK like I did with my focus and probably not spending much more than I'll sell my focus for (around 6-7k).

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

306 and Focus are the same size aren't they? They compete in the same market segment.

306 suffers in quality and build depts.

Peugeot have a reputation as builders of great diesel engines howevr.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

the 306 HDi is a cracker of a car, looks lovely, has a good diesel turbo engine and good power in it as well, it will be quicker than a 1.6 focus.

my cousin has a 1.9 non turbo for about a year and has very little trouble with it, only problem i know of was a dead battery and as mentioned above build quality, something to door with door hinges

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

cool sounds good. did you cousin ever mention the drive on long journeys?

some good examples on autotrader for around the 3k sterling mark.

actually just looking there, the 2.0 HDi seems like a better motor.

any owners out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

quarryman wrote:
    Peugeot 306 - 98-01 TDi - Opinions
    quarryman wrote:
    actually just looking there, the 2.0 HDi seems like a better motor

A bit confused here :confused:

Surely, you don't want to go for an old skool tractor diesel as in the '98-'01 1.9 diesel?

Renault copped on, late, but still in time to ride the wave of the common rail with the 2.0 HDI

So your budget allows you to drive a 2l car now? Many options open up so :)

My choice would not necessarily start with a Renault. What's your annual mileage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

yes, definitly go for a HDi i was looking for one for ages but never found a nice one in ireland, you should have better luck in england.

unkel wrote:
    A bit confused here :confused:

Surely, you don't want to go for an old skool tractor diesel as in the '98-'01 1.9 diesel?

Renault copped on, late, but still in time to ride the wave of the common rail with the 2.0 HDI

So your budget allows you to drive a 2l car now? Many options open up so :)

My choice would not necessarily start with a Renault. What's your annual mileage?

nope, i'm staying away from the 1.9.

no insurance will allow me to drive a 2l diesel

but i'm looking at Peugeots :confused: My annual milaege would be around 15k, probably more.

quarryman wrote:
    but i'm looking at Peugeots :confused:

Oops, was a bit knackered last night :o
    quarryman wrote:
    insurance will allow me to drive a 2l diesel

And I also kinda missed you want a smaller, more economical car. As Henry Ford said, the Peugeot 306 is the same size as your car and I wouldn't really recommend a 206 to a man ;)

So we're talking about going from a small family hatch to a supermini. Was driving a Renault Clio II 1.5 dCi 80BHP for a few weeks about 5 years ago and I liked it a lot. Plenty of torque and I can only imagine fuel economy would be excellent

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

15k per annum doesn't suggest a diesel will be any better on your pocket overall.

Higher purchase price,.......yadda yadda yadda.

15k per annum doesn't suggest a diesel will be any better on your pocket overall.

Higher purchase price,.......yadda yadda yadda.

Good point. The higher the mileage, the more a diesel makes sense. 15k on a supermini of that value might only be in or around the break-even point

Fuel savings diesel @50mpg vs petrol @35mpg over 15000 miles is just €600

(diesel @55mpg vs petrol @40mpg is about €500)

• Advertisement

well actually i've put 15k on the car since i bought it in November so that's 8 months so it will be 20k by the end of the year.

There will be a definate saving in fuel costs but will probably be offset by the initial cost of the car.

The main plus points for me: It will be a nippier car (the focus can be a bit lumbering) and it will still be more economical.

I also expect to pay roughly what my Focus cost me.

Ideally is there a milaege I should be aiming to get <60k, <80k or <100k? I know diesels can handle higher miles better.

Most of my travelling will be on the N7 and M7 so motorway speeds. The focus is excellent for this but i still want something with a bit more poke.

A 306 HDI will have more torque, but little or no more power than your Focus (100bhp).

It'll pull harder in gear, but that doesn't make it any faster nor quicker.

It's a tough call.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'd find it very hard to go from a Focus to a 306, really going back 5 years in design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

yes, definitly go for a HDi i was looking for one for ages but never found a nice one in ireland, you should have better luck in england.
    Me too! I had a 306diesel van and loved it, wanted a Dturbo/Hdi then but couldnt find a decent one at all. Dealers wanted 9000 for 00`s with 90+100,000 miles on them.
    I go a civic coupe instead and no regrets. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=436025
    Theres a nice standard one, but look at the price. Bit out of your budget, because its overpriced. It`ll be on carzone for ages,, it was the same craic when i was looking for one.
    Get a focus 1.8diesel perhaps, a nice TDCi engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Quarryman,

I dont know how sold you are on the 306 - which I agree is a very good car.

However, have you considered a SEAT Toledo or Leon - If fuel economy is a major concern (which it must be with everyone these days - unless you have your own oil refinery) you must consider one of these.
    VW engines and running gear, nice cars to drive (esp. the 110bhp model), and ultra economical. I have just got out of a leon tdi after a 110 mile journey, ant the fuel computer is displaying 64.7mpg! This was mixed driving from Lehinch, Co. Clare to Ballymahon, co. Longford.

OK, the engines are not as refined as the newer TDCI's, etc.. but the above mpg speaks for itself..... Also, Im sure you can pick up something within your budget at a cheaper price than some of the more modern enginged cars.

Advertisement