Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Paper 1 - Higher Level

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Ugh txt spk.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭kwiva-g

Sorry for ranting on but that agallamh was way too perfect for everyone in our school!! There was talk of our uniform changing this year and there was uproar!! Also our principal is retiring this year so I was able to incorperate that into my agallamh aswell. We had a great story ready made for us!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I thought that it was really easy.
    The comhra was nearly the same as my mock one except a filim insted of a book.
    The Sceal was simple i got a phone call off my friend who had one concert tickets to see Babyshambles play.
    The starwars thing confused me but i think I did ok all in all

and that tape was simple!!

kwiva-g wrote:
    i dont care if u dont like my "text speak" by da way:p u meanie:p its not my fault im 2 stupd 2 rite propr

I think you'll find I'm not the only one...
    Oh and I don't think txt spk is even allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

kwiva-g wrote:
    it was weird 4 me cos i had 2 make up a whole new essay compared to the 1 i had studied(about a burgler!!:o), so i decided to hav a story about how lads wer havin a match at school and i was watchn it nd sum1 kikd da ball out across da road nd den got hit by a lorry!!! i thot i went quite wel cos tho wat i had planned was nuthn like it, i got 2 use sum luvly frases about how scared i was nd sh*te like dat!:D

[whine]Steeeeeeeeph, make her stop :([/whine]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

I twisted my timpiste to fit the heading about receiving a text message.After rushing back to my own house(to get the good news off my brother),it was too late everyone was asleep and I fell off a ladder while trying to climb inside a window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

Sweet wrote:
    I twisted my timpiste to fit the heading about receiving a text message.After rushing back to my own house(to get the good news off my brother),it was too late everyone was asleep and I fell off a ladder while trying to climb inside a window
    Nice.
    When I saw it, I ruled it out straight away as we were told to never put speech in and it said to ring him back soon.

Sweet wrote:

Haha lots of my friends did that too, my friend wrote about receiving the text, going to get credit, and then being hit by a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

I said the text was from a doctor saying my dad hurt his leg. I fell off me bike while going out to the hospital and ended up gettign an operation done. :o

Oh well, at least a put a truckload of phrases in it that'll bring me up. :D

Piste wrote:
    Haha lots of my friends did that too, my friend wrote about receiving the text, going to get credit, and then being hit by a car.

Well if that doesn't out the shaz in shazam.Hilarious!What is our infatuation with human misery and suffering?:D

• Advertisement

We have the vocab for it? :p

Irish is all about the suffering dammit!

Piste wrote:
    We have the vocab for it? :p

Irish is all about the suffering dammit!
    "Ate hundred year of OOOpression!"

:D

My English uncle asked me would I be supporting England in the world cup and I just shouted "Eight hundred years of oppression!"

Jello wrote:
    I think you'll find I'm not the only one...
    Oh and I don't think txt spk is even allowed.
    Sorry "Jello" I didn't realise it's not allowed:confused: Where does it say that cos I'm pretty sure it wasn't mentioned in the conditions that you must register by?? Sorry for getting off the topic of Irish but I've probably written enough above:rolleyes: Anyway if txt speak isn't allowed I'm sorry if I annoyed anybody:o , I never thought of it that way before, it's just a force of habit;)

Don't worry.Common mistake

Oh so long as you realise the err of your ways and do not incur the modly wrath of PFM* then you're grand :)

*I mean it, she's a bad, bad person

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Text speak is frowned on in.. a lot of the Internet. Except Bebo. But less said about that the better.
    It's against the rules to use it in any Soc forum anyway, (this being under Education>Soc), but I see it's not in the charter. I'll put it in now.

EDIT: Hey, I didn't post the WRATH OF FIRE post. I'm nice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭yourpetzombie

That paper was nice! I used my turas scoile essay for the one about the text. My friend met Bono. And he was wearing leather trousers.

My Irish teacher is obsessed with U2. We have so many essays that they're in.

Anyway! I did the agallamh. I had no trouble with coming up with stuff to say because we have ridiculous uniform rules. And the comprehension was easy enough.

kwiva-g wrote:
    Sorry "Jello" I didn't realise it's not allowed:confused: Where does it say that cos I'm pretty sure it wasn't mentioned in the conditions that you must register by?? Sorry for getting off the topic of Irish but I've probably written enough above:rolleyes: Anyway if txt speak isn't allowed I'm sorry if I annoyed anybody:o , I never thought of it that way before, it's just a force of habit;)

It's ok ''kwiva-g''.
    But it does say in the charter ''no name calling'' and you called me a meanie and I'm very offended.

You could sue, that's PTS RIGHT THERE.

heehee I almost typed PMT...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

****in hell...'too easy' 'i definitely got an A'. What nerds we have in hear! I thought it was very hard and I'll be lucky if I pass...:(

Well how about I edit my disgraceful TXT posts and we can put this all behind us?:rolleyes: Gosh, how embarassing:o !!!

Wow, most of the other txt spk users just flounce off in a huff. This is new.

Well I'm very different!!! Anyway you shouldn't judge people you meet on the internet, it doesn't give them a fair chance;) Even if they do use 2txt spk" which personally I don't have a problem with. Avid "txt spk" users would consider using proper english to be a kind of goody-two-shoes attidude! It's a fact!

kwiva-g wrote:
    Well I'm very different!!! Anyway you shouldn't judge people you meet on the internet, it doesn't give them a fair chance;) Even if they do use 2txt spk" which personally I don't have a problem with. Avid "txt spk" users would consider using proper english to be a kind of goody-two-shoes attidude! It's a fact!
    Yeah, I get the odd slagging for using predictive text. I swear, it's faster! =D

Besides, most teens use text speak, just look at Bebo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

BMH wrote:
    Yeah, I get the odd slagging for using predictive text. I swear, it's faster! =D

Besides, most teens use text speak, just look at Bebo

I'd prefer not to.

BMH wrote:
    just look at Bebo

I'd rather not, thanks :P

No I kid, I kid, I use bebo (just no text speak)
    Text speak is all well and good on a phone where you're trying to convey as much information as possible with limited space and not wanting to run into a new text by only a few letters (I HATE when that happens) so it's understandable and acceptable then, but NOT on the internet where you have a full keyboard in front of you and a huge character limit. Also text speak required effort to read, and looks retarded. IMHO etc. etc.

EDIT: Orly SNAP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

No Bebo! : p

And, well, thing is, people DO judge others. And it just so happens that, especially on a message board, the most important way you're putting across who you are is through what you say. And if you put it across through, ahem, particular means, it's gonna give off a certain message.
    Just think if someone started talking to you as if they had a severe speech impediment. Might it occur to you that they may in fact have a mental disability?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭curliq

Piste wrote:
    I wrote about Star Wars for my cómhra seeing as I had so much vocab right there in front of me, seemed like a shame not to use it!"

one Golden Rule for irish is ALWAYS base your comhra and essay on the comprehension. helps if you just weren't bothered, or if you go totally blank. it may be half-assed, but it gives a nice flow and theme to the exam :p

• Advertisement

kwiva-g wrote:
    Well how about I edit my disgraceful TXT posts and we can put this all behind us?:rolleyes: Gosh, how embarassing:o !!!

Ah sure why not.
    I wasan't taking it seriously anyway.
    Haha.

Advertisement