Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavalier King Charles

Options
  • 08-06-2006 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can give me some info on cavalier kind charles'

Myself and my partner really want to get one, but the only thing is that we would be gone for most of the day. Do you think it would be ok to leave one alone for most of the day?

Or if there is a more suitable dog to being left alone for long periods?
    T
    hanks for any info.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Dont do it! Okay maybe Im exaggerating a little here, Im sure some people really love these dogs, but in my experience as a Vet student, these dogs have so many problems that they really only seem to suit the diehard fan.
    In terms of management, yes you possibly could leave him/her alone depending on temperament of the individual in question and your home environment.

But a CKC... do you really want one!? There are other small dogs who have a much lower tendancy to cause trouble, heartbreak and, well... money!
    Maybe you could give more information about your space, access to garden, etc?

Theres a really good website called dogbreedinfo.com that has an online quiz to help you decide a suitable pool of breeds to choose from. Even if youre not necessarily after a purebred you should take the breeding of a cross bred into account as they often contain very active terrier/collie lines. Anyway theres a link below hope this helps.

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 coll

would a king charles spaniel (English toy spaniel) be a better choice?

Have a small back garden

English Toy Spaniel doesnt seem much better from the little Ive heard of it, Pekingese are something you might look at depending on your taste. I know of one woman in your situation who has one and it gets on fine. Happy hunting and best of luck on whatever you decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Oy !!

We're not talking about garden furniture here ...it doesn't matter one bit what make / brand (breed) it is.

Every dog is an individual and while the breed description will give you an idea of what it will look like (and what possible afflictions it could have because it was overbred towards being very unnatural) it will give you NO CLUE WHATSOEVER as to the character and behaviour of the dog. That is up to its individual character traits, upbringing and training. Anything to the contrary in any breed description is nothing but marketing / wishful thinking.

But more importantly, all dogs (regardless of breed or parentage) are highly social beings and don't do well at all if left alone for long periods of time on a constant basis.

So, unless you have a good amount (i.e more than 2-3 hours per day) of time free to spend with your dog , please don't get one.

That time spent with your dog would have to be active, involved time as well. Your dog needs you. Not just for company, but more importantly for guidance and training. So please, think again.

And as for the vet student "recommending" a wheezy, breathless Pekinese as a healthier alternative to similarly overbred dogs ...back to the books my friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

I wouldn't leave any dog on it's own all day, the sheer boredom would drive it around the bend.

Lovelyhurling, i think you need to do some more reading on dog health.

Coll if you want to find out more about Cavs why not checkout this forum......

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/index.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Hi

i have two king charles one is a cavelier. Temperament wise they are fantasic dogs, very friendly and loving and quite independent too.

Like one of the other posters said they do have problems, I have never had many problems with my two but I believe there ears give them a hard time.

On leaving the dog on its own all day, if you are going to do that I would suggest taking some time off work and gradually get the dog into some kind of routine. You'd be close at hand and not going mad in work all day worrying about him/her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Baffled

Why would someone bother getting a dog if they are going to be out most of the day. We have a dog at home that we kinda "rescued" from a farm where she had been locked into a dog run for 4 years with limited social interaction. She has severe behavioural problems because of this. Although we have done alot of work with her and she is alot better than she was. The dog will probably dig your garden to bits, chew everything in sight and probably bark all day because its are bored. I have seen a dog lick his paws so much that he eventually broke the skin. Just one of many behavioural problems due to boredom.

peasant wrote:
    Oy !!

We're not talking about garden furniture here ...it doesn't matter one bit what make / brand (breed) it is.
    it will give you NO CLUE WHATSOEVER as to the character and behaviour of the dog.

With respect I think this is very misleading. Labradors are chosen as pets... from puppies... as family dogs and not Stafforshire Bull Terriers dor very good reasons. It is wrong to say breed charcteristics do not occur with regard to temperament. Would you choose a Rottweiler for your kids if you were assured of its training?
    But more importantly, all dogs (regardless of breed or parentage) are highly social beings and don't do well at all if left alone for long periods of time on a constant basis.

I think thats a very important point couldnt agree more.

And as for the vet student "recommending" a wheezy, breathless Pekinese as a healthier alternative to similarly overbred dogs ...back to the books my friend.

Maybe I wasnt clear, I was suggesting that only in terms of being left alone, I know one such Pekingese who manages it quite well. But they are generally much healtheir than a CKC too.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey guys

Just to reply to the Q about leaving a dogalone all day

We (myself and my wife)got a cav a couple of months ago. I have to say she has had her few problems BUT she really is a fantastic breed of dog....she is so affectionate, loyal and happy that on a recent vist to the vet for treatment of her roundworm ,the surgeon was absolutly doteing over her. Now my point is that she is left for about 7 hours a day on her own ( in the garden now that its a little nicer out and that shes a lil bit bigger)....but she is always in cracking form...full of beans and showing no signs of boredom or the normal destructive behaviour assoicated with socially deprived pups.We have left plenty of toys for her most of which involve nothing more complicated than a rope with a knot in it. I have to say though she does require at least a couple of hours attention each daybut like a child you enjoy the time you spend with your pet. Ourhome wouldnt be the same nowwithout our gorgeous pet. i thourghly recomend a Cav to anyone with a few hours to spend on thier pet.If anyone would like the number of the breeder just P.M me.

With respect I think this is very misleading. Labradors are chosen as pets... from puppies... as family dogs and not Stafforshire Bull Terriers dor very good reasons. It is wrong to say breed charcteristics do not occur with regard to temperament. Would you choose a Rottweiler for your kids if you were assured of its training?

As regards type, there is some truth in this. I would not recommend a collie to someone who never wants to leave the house or a Basset to a long distance runner :D

But temperament is influenced by so much more than breed or type alone, that recommending a dog on breed description alone clearly is misleading. You can turn a Cav into a viscious biter no problem ...you can do that to any and every dog. Neglecting it for the best part of the day is a good start in that direction.

And yes, I would have no problem getting a Rottweiler, given that it comes from good parentage and not from some backyard breeder that breeds for aggression or simply hasn't got the first clue about breeding ...same as any other dog.

Oh ...and on consulting your literature further, you will find that here and especially in the UK, the Staffie is held in very high regard as a perfect family pet.
    kaiser1 wrote:
    i thourghly recomend a Cav to anyone with a few hours to spend on thier pet.If anyone would like the number of the breeder just P.M me.

Ahh ...and that breeder wouldn't by any chance be a relative of yours ...or even your good self ??
    kaiser1 wrote:
    We (myself and my wife)got a cav a couple of months ago. Now my point is that she is left for about 7 hours a day on her own ....and showing no signs of boredom or the normal destructive behaviour assoicated with socially deprived pups.

So, you have her a couple of months and she is showing no sign of the NORMAL behaviour associated with socially deprived pups (mmhm ...I like that ... socially deprived ...so you DO realize what you are doing to her ...)

Well ...come back in a few more months and let us know how she's getting on ...if you haven't given her away by then because she caused too much trouble with the neighbours

• Advertisement

peasant wrote:

Oh ...and on consulting your literature further, you will find that here and especially in the UK, the Staffie is held in very high regard as a perfect family pet.

Excuse me but again, with respect, I have consulted the literature very, very extensively on this. I study these kind of topics, and happen to know quite a lot about it, and youre wrong. Staffies are not recommended as family pets because to get it to a reasonable level of obedience requires a very strict obediance regime. Something not characteristic to a family environment. They also require a level of exercise which a lot of families wouldnt be able to satisfy.

If you are interested in the literature, and you seem to be, Domestic Animal Behaviour by KA Houpt is a good place to begin

Haven't got time right now to research the topic in more depth ...the best that i could come up with at short notice is some Staffie clubs' website (and I don't normally like to "advertise" dogs) but have a looksee here:

http://www.cleverstaffords.co.uk/

One of only two breeds named as 'Good with Children' in their breed standard by the UK Kennel Club from over 190 breeds.

The ONLY breed that has 'Totally Reliable' in it's breed standard.

The 7th most popular dog in the UK

And I shall leave our little "pissing match" at that and go watch a real one ...it's the world cup, after all :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well....

What can i say peasent....you know me so well from only one post and you seem to have drawn quite a number of conclusions from it aswell.

to start with not everybody in this country has the option to stay at home all day giving thier time over to thier dog...yet there are a huge number of people who sucessfully own cavs while work full days aswell.

Now you also make comment to how in a few months we might feel the need to try and give away our dog!!...I take exception to that comment. People who tend to give up on thier pets and are forced to give them up usually are the same people who dont want to give the time over to looking after thier pets.Its alot to do with the owners commitment to thier pet!!

As regards to who the breeder is ...no its not myself or any family member.

I visited the breeder a number of times before we collected our cav and was very impressed by her knowledge of the breed and the manner in which she keeps her dogs, all of wich diplayed excellent temprements and which were all obviously well looked after.

Now peasent....I dont log on here to argue a point of view with people but to exchange info and my own experiance with people. If you feel the need to disagree with people who make a point of view thats fine but its extreamly disingenous to pass comment based on your very limited knowledge of my dogs quality of life. In fact you may have a wealth of info and experiance to share with people and you may have a head full of usefull tips to offer pet owners ( which is why i presume you log on)...but just based on your comments I will now chose to dismiss them....

peasant wrote:
    the best that i could come up with at short notice is some Staffie clubs' website

Hardly surprising they say that about their own breed to be honest, any dog that is advertised as "totally reliable" because he is a staffie would raise a lot of eyebrows. They tend to be very reliable with children, but intense training is needed first.

And on that note all that Im saying is that because of the strict environment they require, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, just as an example, are not suited to families especially those with very young children. Unlike for example, Labradors. Thats not an unreasonable suggestion.

It seems to me that youre just here to argue hollow points and pointlessly debase other peoples' knowledge or experience.

Kaiser 1

You doubtlessly have all the best intentions for your dog ...but I'm taking a wild guess here ...could this be the first dog you keep in this situation? (i.e. alone all day)

If so, let me tell you ...you WILL be in for a surprise.

Your dog (and that fact that it is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel makes no difference to what is to follow) is still a puppy. You have had her for a few weeks only. She is still only finding her feet, developing her personality and (most importantly!) looking for guidance. Guidance as to what are the "house rules", guidance as to what is and what isn't acceptable behaviour, guidance as to who sets the rules.

Now, during this formative period, you are leaving her to fend for herself for the best part of her awake day, trying to make up for it during the few "together" hours.
    But what does she do when you're not there? What kind of antics does she get up to? So far everything seems to be going well. But remember ...she's only still a pup. Wait until she becomes a "stroppy teenager". Like any "teenager" she will try to expand her boundaries and like any normal dog she will try to assume a leading role in the rule-setting game. So what is she going to do with you not there? She's going to do the very same as any other normal dog ...exactly what she bloody well fancies at any given moment. With enough hard work you might be able to keep her behaviour in check while you're together ...but you will have no control over what she will do when you're gone. And the possibilities are endless there: excessive barking, escaping, destruction ...or she might just simply deflate and become depressed. But she will not be a happy, well adjusted dog ...no matter what "quality of life" you will offer her when you are together.

Now ...you're right ...I was probably a bit presumptious or even unfair in my "conclusion" that you will want to give her away at that stage.
    You might not.
    But lots of people do! Where do you think all those pedigree rescue and pound dogs came from? They surely didn't fall out of the sky ...

A lot came from people who picked a dog from a breed that they thought (or were led to believe) could take being left alone in their stride.

No dog can!

So please, do me a favour. Don't loose the run of yourself after a few troublefree weeks with your pup and try to sell the CKC breed as the ideal dog for people not home all day.

It simply isn't true.

A dog's life is long ...your so called experience with this dog has lasted a couple of months.

Sorry for the harsh words ...but it had to be said.

It seems to me that youre just here to argue hollow points and pointlessly debase other peoples' knowledge or experience.

You're wrong there.

I'm here to argue one point and one point only:

A dog is a dog.

Nothing more, nothing less.

A "Labrador" is not a "better" dog than a dog of any other breed or a mongrel just because it is a "Labrador"
    A Pekinese is no better suited to staying at home alone all day than a CKC.

NO DOG should be left alone for long periods of time on a regular basis.

That's it. That's my point. (to which you agreed, by the way)

(And I'd like to end our little side-issue here about which breed has which qualities ...they're all dogs underneath with the same abilities, needs and limitations. That some breeds had to suffer more from human depravity in playing God, wanting to "create something new and special" / "beautiful" / fear inducing than others is NOT the dogs' fault. No matter what we have tried to turn them into ...they're all still dogs underneath)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Hi,just my two cent on this argument.I think choosing a breed is very important for your needs but everybreed has their potential problems weather big or small.My sister had a King Charles for years and never had any issues with it.There must be at least 5-6 in my estate and i know all the owners myself.Ive asked them about their dogs as they all know im a dog lover and all have really no major issues.
    Myself, i now own a Labrador.Its my second one and hes a star.My first lab i had no issues whatsoever with her healthwise or behaviour.The lab i had now had serious problems with his legs.He was in a good bit of pain for two years and it broke my heart to watch him but he pulled through it and is now in perfect form.It wasnt the usual leg problems associated with larger dogs,or hip displacement but some type of inflamation of his joints.The vet had only ever seen it a couple of times in his life and there were only a handfull of cases in Ireland.
    I myself would have no problem with getting a Rothweiler as a family pet.I dont think its so much the breed that can be a danger i think its the treatment of the animal that steers its personality.Everyday i meet various dogs whilst out walking my dog,every breed you can imagine and never once have i had any trouble with and other media hyped dangerous dog.I was wary of pitbulls for a long time as all i saw was the hype regarding dog fighting etc.Ive met a couple of owners up the park and petted their pitbulls and they are so friendly.Obviously if you dog is treated and cared for properly with time and love the rewards in the end are incredible loyalty.
    I personally dont think leaving a dog at home for 7 hours on its own is bad at all as long as it doesnt go over this.Irish working hours inc commuting is crazy these days and if it was a case of gone from early morning till evening then id say its not fair on the animal.Im at home most of the day and my lad gets walked first thing in the morning and then in the evening.Once we comeback from his morning walk all he wants to do is go outside or sometimes inside and just sleep.He takes it easy during the day and then after the evening walk its back sleeping again.So all in all if your prepared to excercise your dog in mornings and evenings then i think leaving them for a few hours is fine.The problem is its easy to say you will do all these things before you get the dog but when the time comes unfortunatly people arent always prepared to do so.
    Either way good luck with your decision OP on your choice of dog.Like i said if your prepared to put in the time and put up with little anoyances now and then then you will be rewared with a true friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 coll

thanks for all the replies. I'll take them all into consideration when deciding whether to get a dog or not!

Advertisement