Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband for me auld lad

• 08-06-2006 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭

Sos he wants to get broadband, and i want to avoid a lifetime of work in setting it up for him.

Whats the best deal for engineer install DSL in south dublin? Eircoms low priced one looks like a ripoff with only 20 hours, are esat any cheaper?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Dustaz wrote:
    Sos he wants to get broadband, and i want to avoid a lifetime of work in setting it up for him.

Whats the best deal for engineer install DSL in south dublin? Eircoms low priced one looks like a ripoff with only 20 hours, are esat any cheaper?

In spite of the sins of the parents you really dont want to inflict Esat on him - just read the threads on here and you will be anxious to avoid several lifetimes of non enginering work potentially sorting out Esats billing for him.

Why pay an engineer when it takes so little time to set it up for him?

Have you considered NTL or Smart if either is available?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Dustaz wrote:

Don't even think about the "20 hour" option.

Despite the billing difficulties some people have encountered, ESAT/BTIrelands bundled deal is the best bet - €35 for broadband and line rental. Smart have higher speeds for a similiar price, but don't have widespread availability.

I'm not sure if BT even offer an engineer install anymore - it really isn't necessary - if the computer is close enough to a phoneline to use it with a modem, then installing DSL is a piece of cake - you might both be happier if you install it for him, but it's not going to be a big deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

dub45 wrote:
    In spite of the sins of the parents you really dont want to inflict Esat on him - just read the threads on here and you will be anxious to avoid several lifetimes of non enginering work potentially sorting out Esats billing for him.

Why pay an engineer when it takes so little time to set it up for him?

Have you considered NTL or Smart if either is available?

Get Smart if your Dad doesnt like his current number as you MUST get a new number to use their Broadband.
    If eircom were to transfer the number to Smart it would probable bankrupt it or something!

BT isnt too bad but keep your eyes open for billing problems as LOTS of Boards members have reported problems.
    True its not a true representation of the entire BT customer population as people are more likely to share their problems as members in the Broadband forum than their uneventfull experiences.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

zuma wrote:
    Get Smart if your Dad doesnt like his current number as you MUST get a new number to use their Broadband.
    If eircom were to transfer the number to Smart it would probable bankrupt it or something!

BT isnt too bad but keep your eyes open for billing problems as LOTS of Boards members have reported problems.
    True its not a true representation of the entire BT customer population as people are more likely to share their problems as members in the Broadband forum than their uneventfull experiences.

You could also argue that boards never hears of many many Esat complaints simply because these people have never heard of boards. Any non boards people that I know who have ever had anything do to with esat in any of its incarnations have had billing problems with them!

Advertisement