Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Chelsea ever be selfsufficient

• 08-06-2006 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

Don't know it this has been covered before but what do you guys think, will chelsea ever be selfsufficient. I don't think so, the wages they are paying alone will soon be astronomical.

Just to clear up, i'm not say they have to make back the money already spent, just will they ever make a profit from year to year.

Will they last with the oil money 10 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

If they keep buying players for ridiculous sums then no - they won't be self sufficient. If, however, they invest in their academy and youth scouting to form the bulk of their squad then it's very probable that they would become self sufficient. That seems unlikely though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

It's not the sum that are the ridiculos bit, its buying them and after one season buying another player for huge money to play in the same possition. I can't see Essien getting into the team unless there is a injury to Ballack, Lampard or Makelele, so they spent 24 million on a squad player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If I remember correctly the 'official' public version of the Chelsea plan is that Abramovic/Kenyon are aiming to be at break even (edit) in or shortly after the 2009/2010 season. Personally speaking I think this is a little optimistic, especially given that expanding Stamford Bridge's capacity to 50,000 or beyond would probably be impossible.

No it'll be Essien, Makelele, Ballack, Lampard in a diamond. Shev and Drogba/Crespo up front. The sums are ridiculous. Think of it. Chelski come to your club looking for one of your players. The seller is at a huge advantage because Chelski are so explicitly rich! Chelski get exploited, £30m for a 29 year-old? Please! (and yes it is Shevchenko but still that's OTT)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I'm not saying the sums aren't ridiculous, they obviously are, but the fact they pay huge money for players who aren't going to be first teamers is more ridiculous. Look at Madrid they pay huge money for players, but they always use them as first team players.

• Advertisement

Well I'd agree w with you there. Wright-Philips is a prime example. Arsenal were CERTAIN to sign him, all of a sudden Chelski become "interested" and suddenly, he's signed! It's hoovering up potential players for other clubs essentially. They have a monopoly on the market. They not only control their own dealings but technically those of other clubs too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Kenyon is hard at work in the Far East checking out commercial opportunities and raising Chelsea's profile. Arnesen will be busy bringing in the best young talent, and soon they'll churning out their own world class players.

By the time Abramovich gets bored of Chelsea, they'll be easily self-sufficient imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

Chelski get exploited, £30m for a 29 year-old? Please! (and yes it is Shevchenko but still that's OTT)

I think Real Madrid payed £45m for Zidane when he was 29. I can think of a few other players moving for big money when they were approaching 30, like Rui Costa, Thuram, Inzaghi. Just pointing out that it does happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Depends how successful they are really. The longer they go without a champions league the more big players will come in and so on.
    They became rich and powerfull overnight and the opposite can easily happen depending on how patient Abramovic is, i feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

They will have to tone it down a bit if they are to do it but the young players they are buying now will come into their own in the next 3/4/5 seasons and this will be the make or break seasons for Chelsea.. If the young players that they are investing heavily in now do not come up wiht the goods then Chelsea will have to keep buying to succeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Unfortunately if anyone can make them self sufficent its peter "Beelzebub" Kenyon.

Advertisement