Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Uk Licence

Options
  • 08-06-2006 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭

Hi i want to get a provisional uk licence and then full.does anyone know how do i go about applying for provisional licence first.im going to uk on monday so what details and what other stuff do i need to apply for it.
    also is there a theory test like here.

any info or websites will be a help.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Are you going to be moving permanently to the UK, i.e. be resident there?

If not you can't legally get a UK licence. You could of course use the "have an address there" excuse beloved of many posters here, in other words lie, and therefore obtain the licence fraudulently thus rendering it not worth the paper it's written on, of course ...

EDIT: stuff removed that was clearly rubbish .. must engage brain before typing in future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

drdre wrote:
    Hi i want to get a provisional uk licence and then full

I presume you have a provisional Irish license? If so and if you are moving permanently to the UK, I'd advice to get your test here if you can wait that long. The test here is easier and once you've passed you can change your full Irish license for a UK license whenever it expires

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I assume he's asking because his trip to the UK is less than 14 months away ;)

OP: I found this page when googling: http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/applydl.htm

Be wary that unlike in Ireland, the police are strict on the accompanying driver rule for provisional licence holders. You might need to book yourself into a driving school so be prepared for the expense. On the plus side, the insurance is far lower over in England. I remember reading an article where a father was complaning that his 17 year old son had to pay £200 on their 2.0 litre car :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

And then there's the legality of driving an IRL registered car here on a UK licence

And what exactly is the legality of this then or is this just your opinion, I've never had any problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Alun wrote:
    Are you going to be moving permanently to the UK, i.e. be resident there?

If not you can't legally get a UK licence. You could of course use the "have an address there" excuse beloved of many posters here, in other words lie, and therefore obtain the licence fraudulently thus rendering it not worth the paper it's written on, of course ... And then there's the legality of driving an IRL registered car here on a UK licence, but we won't go there :)

I don't know whatyour gripe is as it sounds like a complete rant. If the OP is living in the UK for any length of time he is fully and legally entitled to a uk drivers licence. And where did you get this notion about driving an Irish reg car with a UK licence from? You might be thinking of the reverse where the customs don't like people with Irish licences driving uk cars here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

guys i have a full irish licence.i just want to get a full uk licence as well.my father has both and uses both eg uses uk licence when he goes to uk.

i am thinking i get a duplicate licence from here and go to uk and tell them im moving to uk and hand in my duplicate licence and get a full uk licence.:) .is this possible.thanks

i am not really moving to uk.but i want to get a uk licence.

Gatster wrote:
    And what exactly is the legality of this then or is this just your opinion, I've never had any problems?

Do you have a uk and irish licence?

Stark wrote:
    I assume he's asking because his trip to the UK is less than 14 months away ;)

OP: I found this page when googling: http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/applydl.htm

Be wary that unlike in Ireland, the police are strict on the accompanying driver rule for provisional licence holders. You might need to book yourself into a driving school so be prepared for the expense. On the plus side, the insurance is far lower over in England. I remember reading an article where a father was complaning that his 17 year old son had to pay £200 on their 2.0 litre car :rolleyes:

id love to get a gti and have insurance of around 200 pound.that would be a dream come true:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

drdre wrote:

Why would you want a UK licence? As an EU licence, your Irish licence is perfectly valid in the UK. The only reason you would ever need a UK licence is if you were living long term in the UK and your Irish licence expired, in which case you would get a UK licence when you renew.

Stark wrote:
    Why would you want a UK licence? As an EU licence, your Irish licence is perfectly valid in the UK. The only reason you would ever need a UK licence is if you were living long term in the UK and your Irish licence expired, in which case you would get a UK licence when you renew.

i just need it, its a long story.

so does anyone know a way of getting one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

Stark wrote:
    Why would you want a UK licence?

Perhaps because he is to loose his Irish licence and he thinks a second licence would allow him to drive legally afterwards.

drdre wrote:
    so does anyone know a way of getting one.

You'll have to go to a certain pub in Dublin and ask for Paddy. You give him 500€ and 2 photos of yourself. Come back in 2 days and you'll have a perfect UK driving licence, which is as legal as the one you would get from the authorities in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

drdre wrote:
    guys i have a full irish licence.i just want to get a full uk licence as well.
    Can't be done legally.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

drdre wrote:
    guys i have a full irish licence.i just want to get a full uk licence as well

There is no need. Any EU license issued in any EU (25)country is valid throughout the EU without any implications for insuring a car in another country or anything else whatsoever
    drdre wrote:
    my father has both and uses both eg uses uk licence when he goes to uk

Eh? Why would he need to use a different EU license in a different EU country? To have two EU licenses is illegal afaik and he could be prosecuted. Serious stuff post 9/11. Please convince your father to comply for his sake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

mdebets wrote:
    Perhaps because he is to loose his Irish licence and he thinks a second licence would allow him to drive legally afterwards.

Maybe someone can correct me here, but aren't driving bans enforcable across other states?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

drdre wrote:
    i am thinking i get a duplicate licence from here and go to uk and tell them im moving to uk and hand in my duplicate licence and get a full uk licence.:) .is this possible.thanks

You can only get a duplicate licence if yours has been stolen/lost can you not?Theres no real logical reason for needing a uk licence seen as you have a full one here,unless your trying to avoid penalty points by showing your uk licence or if you loose your irish licence when your back in court

I don't know whatyour gripe is as it sounds like a complete rant. If the OP is living in the UK for any length of time ...
    I was reading between the lines, considering recent posts by the OP concerning an upcoming court case where he might lose his licence, actually.

Gatster wrote:
    Yeah, sorry, my brain was malfunctioning there, was thinking of something else entirely :) Of course, that's completely legal, assuming of course you've obtained the licence legally in the first place which the OP is clearly not doing.

drdre wrote:
    guys i have a full irish licence.i just want to get a full uk licence as well.my father has both and uses both eg uses uk licence when he goes to uk.

Or in other words, lie through your teeth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭LikeOhMyGawd!

drdre wrote:

Em, maybe you could ask daddy-kins how did he get his?

• Advertisement

el tel wrote:
    Maybe someone can correct me here, but aren't driving bans enforcable across other states?
    According to this, you can't exchange a foreign driving licence for an Irish one, if your were banned from driving on the foreign one. So I presume the same applies for the for other countries as well. I couldn't find anything about what happens if you obtain a driving licence legally in another country (doing al required training and testing there) after you lost your licence in Ireland, but I can remember reading something a while ago, that at least in Germany this second licence would be illegal as well, but I can't find anything about this for Ireland.
    This is however anyway not relevant for the OP, as he tries to obtain his second licence illegaly, by pretendng to live in the UK, when he clearly doesn't (and even anouncing it on the Internet, how stupid can you be). This licence would be not valid in Ireland, and caought with it (and based on his other posts I presume he will be cought in a short time), he will be charged with driving without a licence and hopefully not ever be allowed to drive again, but then again, maybe Darwin's law will catch on to him first.

Do you have a uk and irish licence?
    No, but then again I hold a UK Passport and have another home address in the UK and am, in actual fact, English, so as far as I can see I'm pretty fookin entitled to my English licence, which you certainly are not :mad:

I've been living in Ireland for 8 years and admittedly wouldn't consider an Irish licence as mine doesn't expire until 2045 and I don't know this for certain, but wouldn't I have to get two Irish licences, one for bikes and one for cars? They're both on my UK licence :D
    was reading between the lines
    Have to agree with Alun's summarisation of the reasoning behind your motives...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,906 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Gatster wrote:
    No, but then again I hold a UK Passport and have another home address in the UK and am, in actual fact, English, so as far as I can see I'm pretty fookin entitled to my English licence, which you certainly are not :mad:
    Citizenship is irrelevant, residency is what matters when applying for a licence. There's no obligation to apply for an Irish licence if you have another EU licence, but if you do you MUST surrender the existing one, having two licences isn't allowed.
    but wouldn't I have to get two Irish licences, one for bikes and one for cars?
    No. All of the categories you're entitled to will be filled in.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Clearly he's attempting to get a second licence either to commit fraud or attempt to avoid penaly points.

"I just need one" is not a valid reason.

Having your licence taken off you doesn't mean there's a loophole if you hold another licence, it means "Disqualified from driving", and you won't be permitted to drive any other vehicle in any European country.

residency is what matters when applying for a licence
    Exactly, and I was resident when I got my licence and for many years afterwards. My point was the OP is blagging this, and has no justification or legal claim to a UK licence

Gatster wrote:
    My point was the OP is blagging this, and has no justification or legal claim to a UK licence
    Quite. And he seems to have gone remarkably quiet, all of a sudden. I'm also wondering why his dad "needs" one too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

drdre wrote:

It is illegal to hold two driving licences from EEA member states, so there's not much point in getting two, only one could be valid at any point in time.

Does your father not know that DVLA over here sent his irish licence back to the motor tax office with a note to cancel it because it's been exchanged for another EEA licence. His irish licence is currently invalid.

Getting an original licence from scratch in another EEA state is against the rules, and they are supposed to be cracking down on it. The practicalities are that they're actually strict on identification requirements over here.

To get a photocard licence, you need to get someone to sign off on your identity (like a passport), or post your full passport to DVLA in swansea. They'll send your passport and photocard back to your UK address. They apparently also do an electoral roll lookup and credit search at the address you give, and may ask why you are applying for a licence for an address you've never been recorded as living at (This is all part of the fight against ID fraud).

Of course once you got your photocard, it means squat, next you have to apply for a theory and hazard perception test which takes 1-2 weeks. The test is done by computer. After you have the certificate from this test, you can drive accompanied (which is actually enforced over here). After that you can apply for the practical test which takes 6-8 weeks waiting. Finally after that you get a full licence.

I fail to see the benefit though. You appear to be up in court soon on dangerous driving with a possible disqualification. A UK licence would not change that. You will still be driving while disquallified if you drive in the republic of ireland. Your insurance will be void and you'll be committing a serious arrestable offence which is punished by imprisonment (which is the next step the district judge would take since a driving ban had no effect).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Gatster wrote:
    I've been living in Ireland for 8 years and admittedly wouldn't consider an Irish licence as mine doesn't expire until 2045
    I'm pretty sure that you have to change to an Irish license, as you no longer reside in the UK. That's what my mother had to do (took her 20 years mind :) ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

commited wrote:
    I'm pretty sure that you have to change to an Irish license, as you no longer reside in the UK. That's what my mother had to do (took her 20 years mind :) ).

You used to have to do that, but not any more for EU licences. I was looking into getting a UK licence because my irish one was stolen over here. It would have cost me £38 versus €5 for getting my irish one reissued. The motor tax office had no problem posting it over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Weird - whats your residence on your license though?

My mother started to feel guilty as she hadnt lived at the stated address for over 20 years ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement