Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Students barred from exams over haircuts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Its made the 9 o'clocl news. !

Apparently they've been given a second chance.

Tune in at 9 on rte1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

ah its always men with moustaches who are like this, bastard!

which one are you, you should arrange to do the exams you've missed at the end of this week, its not worth repeating your junior

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

BMH wrote:
    I have to call bullsh1t here.
    How on Earth would one of the students know that this was being discussed here? Seemingly you've never been on this site due to a new username just there, yet you honed in on a thread all about it. You decided to google Enda's name and defend your position? Unlikely.

But since you claim to be here, you might as well answer some questions such as why you did it, and why you're being accused of being a right scumbag and a school bully by two different people who attended the school?

I second this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

1st of all, how dare you judge Enda and presume he will do "crap" in his junior cert.
    The 3 of us paid our fees to sit the exam. Neither him nor his family are "scangers" as you put it.

As for the comment asking if we were bullies or disruptive?
    I have never bullied anyone... Ok I am disruptive but thats because I refuse to be blamed for things I don't do.

As for that Orlyarl or whatever their name is... Should get their facts correct before they come on here posting crap.

To those looking for bebo page. I don't have bebo.

McEvoy is the bully. He accused my sister, who is in the school next door, of being a druggie. I was handing her 5 euro over the wall to get me credit at the shop as he doesn't let us out. my sister doesn't even smoke. And he has never met her.

In fact her principal had to ring him and demand an apology.

I have been suspeneded for not wearing my tie, having a mobile phone (not using it, he saw it in my pocket.) and the haircuts.
    At least my hair is clean, there are lads in there with long greasy hair??? Why not deal with them too?

For a supposed 'scanger',your grammar and layout is excellent.Give up the game,everyone knows you're not who you say you are.

BMH wrote:
    I have to call bullsh1t here.
    How on Earth would one of the students know that this was being discussed here? Seemingly you've never been on this site due to a new username just there, yet you honed in on a thread all about it.

Quite possibly: one of his mates saw this on here and saw how his mate was being called a scumbag, so he decided to come on and defend himself? And it isn't as if this thread is in a separate forum to the JC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Repeating the entire third year is way too much...sure I see the point that he wouldn't want to sit his exams without his friends, but I'm in the same situation, because I'm not friends with anyone in my year really, all my friends are in 1st,2nd and 4th year. So, tats not really a reason to refuse to do your JC unless you're trying to piss someone off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭BMH

Myth wrote:
    Quite possibly: one of his mates saw this on here and saw how his mate was being called a scumbag, so he decided to come on and defend himself? And it isn't as if this thread is in a separate forum to the JC.
    Sure, but such timing?

Besides, skangers don't befriend clerical and grammatically correct people.

Just ignore the attention wh0re?

BMH wrote:
    Sure, but such timing?

Besides, skangers don't befriend clerical and grammatically correct people.

Just ignore the attention wh0re?

Nah, I have to disagree. The guy (or at least one of the 3) have been interviewed on national TV, so it isn't as if it is a small story which a few people have heard about. I still think it is possible, though it may be unlikely.

Edit: Whoops, not that one of the three...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

All I can say is rules are rules, and, if they're infringed, the perpetrator has to pay the price. The same rules apply to everybody who attends the school. I assume this chap and his parents read the rules of the school before he enrolled, and, if they were unhappy with them, there are other schools which he could have attended. Therefore, I have to side with the principal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Sweet wrote:
    For a supposed 'scanger',your grammar and layout is excellent.

Hahaha...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Sonofagun_90

Sweet wrote:
    For a supposed 'scanger',your grammar and layout is excellent.Give up the game,everyone knows you're not who you say you are.
    I am actually.
    My name is Sean and those two students that have accused me of bullying can ask me in person if they want to on Monday when I go back to sit the rest of my exams.
    I'm sitting my junior cert is Ard Scoil Ciaran in Clara, principal is called Mr. Guinian. Again, ask me tomorrow if you feel like it.
    I've nothing to hide. School ended for me on friday, school rules ended. The school is being used as an exam centre by the state. Not McEvoy.

Enda is aka Butch. How would google tell me that?

I am actually.
    My name is Sean and those two students that have accused me of bullying can ask me in person if they want to on Monday when I go back to sit the rest of my exams.
    I'm sitting my junior cert is Ard Scoil Ciaran in Clara, principal is called Mr. Guinian. Again, ask me tomorrow if you feel like it.
    I've nothing to hide. School ended for me on friday, school rules ended. The school is being used as an exam centre by the state. Not McEvoy.
    And you came upon this thread how exactly? So far, all that info can be gotten from RMT.

europerson wrote:
    All I can say is rules are rules, and, if they're infringed, the perpetrator has to pay the price. The same rules apply to everybody who attends the school. I assume this chap and his parents read the rules of the school before he enrolled, and, if they were unhappy with them, there are other schools which he could have attended. Therefore, I have to side with the principal.
    There is actually no mention of this in my school journal. Its the principals rule, word of mouth. If you want, I'll scan up the rules of the school.

Sweet wrote:
    Maybe thats a lesson to you, Don't judge people until ya have the facts... Just a thought.

BMH wrote:
    And you came upon this thread how exactly? So far, all that info can be gotten from RMT.
    It can? I came upon this thread as my friend is a registered user and told me about it.

There is actually no mention of this in my school journal. Its the principals rule, word of mouth. If you want, I'll scan up the rules of the school.
    Scan up the page sent out at the start of each year. According to the radio interview, it's on that.

Also, he said both he and the year head went through it several times before-hand.

Lastly, any member of the school would know that, but I guess I could say that about anything, so I'll just have to believe that it's actually you. If so, unlucky, it seems you would have done well in English. By the way, why didn't "Butch" take the exam in Clara?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Genuine Question: You did all of this intentionally yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

Well, if you say so. At my school, the Code of Conduct, as the rules were known, state (in Section 3(a)) that "The Principal reserves the right to ask a student to alter a hairstyle that he considers inappropriate". This rule was never (at least to my knowledge) enforced.

Genuine Question: You did all of this intentionally yes?
    No if I did, why would I travel a 44 mile round journey to Clara?
    Enda didn't do it in Clara because he flopped his exam yesterday because he was upset. And I don't think it was possible for his mother to take him that distance. His mum is a widow and he has a younger brother who also needed to be taken to school.

rule8pu.jpg

this is my rules, in my journal. That I have signed, it hasn't changed in the last few years, (but i will look for the notice I was sent out.) also my signature is on it, maybe that proves?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I agree completely with you guys for having your own hairstyles. Technically it is the school holidays and it is no longer term time, the school can express their wishes but have no authority on your dress/appearance during exam time as the school is an SEC Exam Centre.

Sound like the principal is on a bit of a power trip/personal vendetta.

Was that Enda on the six o clock news earlier?

I'd hit that ¬.¬

It sure does, sorry for the doubting.

What about these bullying and disruptive claims though? And it still seems that you did it for the laugh, since apparently the Year Head and principal went around before-hand reminding them of the rules.

EDIT:Just looking at the scan, it's a "quick synopsis", you can't expect everything to be there.It still says "look after your appearance" too.

Don't get me wrong, I think the principal is an ass for doing it, and has messed up your JC, but I still feel you did it for the laugh, just becuase you believed he wouldn't do anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

No if I did, why would I travel a 44 mile round journey to Clara?

Ok, it just seemed from what I was hearing earlier that it was done intentionally etc etc.

TBH I don't ever see why school's should have a personal input on a persons own personal choice and image. It'd be far better to instill qualities such as diversity and acceptance than having everything black and white.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Me too,it just seemed dubious.It would seem there's a lot more to this story than meets the eye

No I have my hair short. Personal choice. Being disruptive in that school consists of refusing to take the blame for things I haven't actually done. If I have, I'm not a coward, I will admit and take the blame.
    This is coming from a man who lays down on seats of cars and underneath cars/tress/walls or hides behind taller students to catch the students coming in after lunch as the food in that canteen is disgusting, (I found a lot of hairs in my rolls/chips these past three years.) and coming from a man who made a friend of mine take PLAITS out of her hair.
    I refuse to be bullied. Simple as.

And also, at least my hair is hygenic. Not greasy, nits, ect.
    What about the lads with long hair? The "rockers" with the long greasy hair? Why is that acceptable?

Piste wrote:
    I agree completely with you guys for having your own hairstyles. Technically it is the school holidays and it is no longer term time, the school can express their wishes but have no authority on your dress/appearance during exam time as the school is an SEC Exam Centre.

Sound like the principal is on a bit of a power trip/personal vendetta.

Was that Enda on the six o clock news earlier?
    Haha. Yeah that was Enda. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I used to have my hair long in school and had to cut it or else be expelled, it never said explicitly in the rules not to have long hair, but I wasn't going to test the principal's nerve so I just cut it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

This is coming from a man who lays down on seats of cars and underneath cars/tress/walls or hides behind taller students to catch the students coming in after lunch as the food in that canteen is disgusting,

Is your principal a spy?

No I have my hair short. Personal choice. Being disruptive in that school consists of refusing to take the blame for things I haven't actually done. If I have, I'm not a coward, I will admit and take the blame.
    This is coming from a man who lays down on seats of cars and underneath cars/tress/walls or hides behind taller students to catch the students coming in after lunch as the food in that canteen is disgusting, (I found a lot of hairs in my rolls/chips these past three years.) and coming from a man who made a friend of mine take PLAITS out of her hair.
    I refuse to be bullied. Simple as.

And also, at least my hair is hygenic. Not greasy, nits, ect.
    What about the lads with long hair? The "rockers" with the long greasy hair? Why is that acceptable?
    Yeah, judging from the interview, during which the guy asked him about that double standard, he dodged the question and said that you wouldn't go into and interview with short hair, so why go into school with it?

Still though, all three of you at the same time, it seems like you wanted to tick him off. And there is still the thing about being pre-warned, and it being on the start-of-year sheet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

don't mind the miserable gits on this thread, good luck, but eh shouldn't you be studying :P

Advertisement