Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC World Cup pundits

• 08-06-2006 5:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭

Does anyone know who the pundits are going to be on the BBC panel this year?

I hope Ian Wright doesn't feature on too many of the matches. He is the most biased pundit I've ever heard. England can do NO wrong as far as he's concerned... he doesn't contribute anything constructive at all, it wrecks my head..

Oh yeah, remember Gascoigne at the last world cup.. couldn't understand a word he said!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Wright
    Shearer
    Hansen
    Lawro
    Leonardo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

SofaKing wrote:
    Leonardo

I know The Da Vinci Code is the big event this summer but isnt that taking it a bit far?

Great player (Tab Ramos might disagree) but I don't get why the BBC went after him instead of someone who the British public might be more familar with? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

The whole thing's ridiculous - I'm still reeling from the news that ITV have invited back Jimmy-Floyd Hasselbaink after being thoroughly inept and barely intelligible last time.

Hansen and Lawro are the only truly class pundits, and Lawro won't be in the studio IIRC - he'll be Motty's co-commentator.

Don't think I'll be paying any attention to the half-time musings of the rest tbh, Wrighty in particular is a complete and utter plonker. And this coming from an Arsenal fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

will be watching rte all the way with a bit of bbc for comedic purposes and hillarity when the inevitable happens and england crash out "we wus robbed guv!" ,at least dunphy and co express their mind and try to be free thinkers unlike nearly all utv/bbc with exception lawro/hansen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Leonardo, as in the brazilian who flung elbows in '94

Ha no wonder Le Saux wasn't happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Dunno. he could be decent and bring a certain objectivity tha the likes of Wright lacks.

IIRC, Ginola was actually a very good pundit for the BBC, for WC98 (i think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Motson will keep me off BBC. Can't stand him wetting himself every time rooney touches the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Motson will keep me off BBC. Can't stand him wetting himself every time rooney touches the ball.

Or telling us about what happened in the final of 1938 or 42. He goes over the top with the statistics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Is Martin O'Neill on the team? I recall him analyising before on the Beeb during major tournaments and he was damn good I thought.

I'll be doing my best to avoid Ian Wright anyway so it will probably be the Dunphy and Giles show for me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Still tohugh, prefer him to the over-the-top George Hamilton, now there's a poor commentator! Has Barry Davies retired?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Still tohugh, prefer him to the over-the-top George Hamilton, now there's a poor commentator! Has Barry Davies retired?

Booo :mad: Georgie is a legend! :D Pity about the rest of RTE commentators but at least there's no Trevooorrrr Welch in their ranks!

AFAIK Barry Davies has retired..... thank fucking christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Lemlin wrote:
    Or telling us about what happened in the final of 1938 or 42

Think Germany and Italy lost to the Yanks and England in North Africa...:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Booo :mad: Georgie is a legend! :D Pity about the rest of RTE commentators but at least there's no Trevooorrrr Welch in their ranks!

AFAIK Barry Davies has retired..... thank fucking christ.

Aw, I loved that old guy! Brian Moore was the greatest imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Think Germany and Italy lost to the Yanks and England in North Africa...:D

Don't forget Japan. They had great start to the tournament but it kinda blew up in their faces towards the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Aw, I loved that old guy! Brian Moore was the greatest imo
    I loved Barry Davies - but Brian Moore??? He was the worst EVER.
    And he always had a suitably nonsensical gibbon sitting next to him, preumably to make him seem relatively intelligent and knowledgeable. Think Ron Atkinson or Kevin Keegan. Or Graham Taylor. One of that lot were ALWAYS his co-commentators.

George Hamilton is also abysmal, frequently getting the names of players wrong, his facts wrong, his pronunciation wrong... But he's still better than that complete and utter IDIOT McGee. Darragh Maloney is RTE's only decent commentator.

In fact, the only commentators I really like are Peter Drury and Jon Champion. And they're on ITV. Who I hate with a passion.

Actually come to think of it, I hate most of the commentators and pundits...
    Should probably watch all the games in a pub then, shouldn't I?!

Advertisement