Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cycling and sperm count

Options
  • 08-06-2006 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

hey folks just wondering does cycling lower your sperm count, heard that the other day but thought it might be a load of sh*te

thanks paddy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭HusseinSarhan

Spending a lot of time on a bad saddle can cause impotence after about a decade of constant use or something but it has to be a fairly awful one to do that anyway.

Top Tip:

It's beneficial to stick ice-cubes down your cycling shorts at the front of course. This will help maximise your "productivity" as it will have a cooling effect. Wrap the icecubes in a small hankerchief though as to avoid frostbite though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭roadmanmad

I am not aware of any properly controlled case studies proving this statement. If 10 years or constant riding can cause problems, I and many like me should not be have any children.

No Children, nice idea. Anyone want 3 boys, going really cheap.

To be honest I just heard it off someone. Try a Brooks saddle if it's road cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Sure didn't Lance Armstrong have kids after years of competitive cycling, and losing one of his testicles to cancer?

I'd imagine he has a good saddle though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

I don't see what difference a Brooks saddle would make if there is an issue. From what I've read, any problems are caused by excess weight being placed on certain areas becauese of thh riding position. The only saddles that make a difference are the ones with the small hole/groove where the saddle starts to get skinny. This ensures that areas that aren't supposed to be load brearing dont bear any loads. If you think about it, it makes sense, I can't think of anything else where you would have any pressure on that particular area for extended periods of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

I'm not aware of saddles doing damage to sperm, are you thinking of alcohol perhaps?
    But an incorrect saddle can cos erectile functions. Thats not to say saddles will, but the ones with holes can be added precaution. The best way to avoid a droopy man is not to ride with your saddle to high, a giveaway is when you are rocking from side to side on the saddle on every revolution. You may get a harder push from this height, but would you really want to sacrafice your hard wang.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

And if one went without a saddle, theyd be calling oneself something rather, how would i say it, friend of Dorothy's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

I'm not aware of saddles doing damage to sperm, are you thinking of alcohol perhaps?
    But an incorrect saddle can cos erectile functions. Thats not to say saddles will, but the ones with holes can be added precaution. The best way to avoid a droopy man is not to ride with your saddle to high, a giveaway is when you are rocking from side to side on the saddle on every revolution. You may get a harder push from this height, but would you really want to sacrafice your hard wang.

You can also alter the angle (front to back) of your saddle so that your assbones are taking the weight and not the root of your langer. If you feel like you're getting a prostate massage while you're riding - the angle may be too high so you can tip it forward slightly...

I've got 4 kids by the way and need something to keep the damn thing down, so I don't think the OP need worry about recreational cycling...

Simon...Brooks are leather, they conform to the shape of your crack so they fit "custom" after a few weeks. Like a pair of leather shoes. They are only saddle really used for long-distance touring by those who tour a lot.

Anyway, what's the point in all this talk? It's pretty much a non issue. I think it has to be pretty brutal to cause impotence problems in the first place.

Yeah one of those saddles with the hole may work too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Simon...Brooks are leather, they conform to the shape of your crack so they fit "custom" after a few weeks. Like a pair of leather shoes. They are only saddle really used for long-distance touring by those who tour a lot.
    I thought that was a bad thing, cause you end up with more pressure on softer areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

milod wrote:
    You can also alter the angle (front to back) of your saddle so that your assbones are taking the weight and not the root of your langer.

Very true, this does help but you still get the odd tool perched up way too high, rocking himself to a life of frustration. I mean not being able to perform with another is bad, but not nearly as bad as not being able to perform with ones self would just be terrible. The internet would crash!!!!

Seriously though, when out riding if you do feel a bit numb down below, then stand up and get to the closest bike shop a pick up a holey saddle. It doesn't affect everyone but I guarrentee if you tell your significant other about this potential problem she'll have bought you a new saddle the very next day. Unless of course you have 4 kids, then she'll jack the seat post even higher....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

wasn't there something in Richard's bicycle book about the "Vegas nerve" - ok a similar one down there that can hurt,

Don't you hate it when the "micro adjust" saddles are either half a click too high or low to get the nose of the saddle just right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Didn't realise that's what the holey saddles were for. Think I'll pick another one, cuz the one I bought to replace my good one(which ripped a lot), creaks a lot.

I've heard of this whole things years ago, but you'd have to be doing 10k at least a year, over a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 757 ✭✭✭milod

just heard about this one - guy called Robert Hanks writes a good colum in the London Independent:

http://www.cheeko90.co.uk/details.php?prodId=25&category=0

http://motoring.independent.co.uk/comment/article570619.ece

Advertisement