Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish (h) Paper 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Thought it was a pretty nice paper. Needed a pick-me-up after Maths.

Prose questions weren't great, I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 niamhy101

i thought that was a lovely paper :D sorry to all those who didnt like it!!:(

i had prepared pretty much everything on it, tho i was really surprised that Oiche Nollag na mBan didnt' come up!!

Ended up making up Gaeilge sna Meain Cumarsaide at the end, our teacher had done absolutely nothing like that!!

but over all a good paper methinks!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

i didnt have a clue of what any of the poems where about apart from gealt :D

total BS for the rest, practically quoted the whole poem for some questions!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Pez

i was shocked with the honours poems!!! :eek: how random! was glad clare sa speir came up. my only decent Q :eek: :rolleyes: wtf wasnt there a character Q on An Trial!!! :mad: and no rurioacht or fianniocht!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Conor h

Thought it was ok.......manged to improvise in the Stair....i was sure Ruraioracht would come up!:rolleyes:
    Ara well!!!........Time to enjoy some of the summer....till 2mara anyway!:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Disaster. Didn't know either of the honours poems, made a horrific attempt at An tOileáin. Banked on Ruraíocht/Fiannaíocht for the stair, neither came up properly. Nailed the pass poetry somehow (I love you, An Gealt!), and my An Triail answer was alright. Managed to pull off something half decent for short stories as well, although made up quite a bit about Fiche Bliain. Ah well, wasn't relying on this for points, but a decent paper 1/listening/oral has just gone out the window!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

i thought it was a nice paper. so much choice on stories and o.l. poems were nice. an triail question was predictable. h.l. poems were strange, both of those would be seen as secondary poems while the big ones like oiche nollag and uirchill an creagain werent there. stair was mad

for all those worrying... dont! this exam is only worth about 30% and will be correctly more softly as there was so much to cover. dont worry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Thought that was a great paper. Answered on Fiche mBlian ag Fás, lovely question there, and Cearracbhach on the Good and evil thing.

THe THig na Tit orm questions were great, did the accound of his life in the states

All the poems I liked came up, Gealt and an Cead Drama especially. Was delighted when I saw them

Stair was iffy but alright, I had the Aisling covered, and I did the Tain and the laoithe fiannachta from having ruraiocht and fainiocht covered.

Think I may actually have done well in Irish \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

For anyone who has good irish but hates studying the literature things have went grand, might even get a C- with no work done whatsoever(apart from the stair cos its interesting). Between a good Oral+Léamhthuiscint+Tape+Stair thats 350 marks and i should scrape a few more from the essay etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

I thought it went grand.

Did Stair 1st: Táin Bó Chúaingle and Gluaiseanna, Douglas Hyde and athbheochan and as an extra an ailing pholaitúil.

Prós: Did la bui bealtaine (love is a deadly disease) and part 2 on cearrbhach (humour and magic).

Drama: An Triail. did the question on hypocracy

Poetry O: Gealt went grand (answers probably too short) and Níl aon ní (bull shítted my way through it.

Poetry H: Did an oileán: thought it went quite well. kinda ran out of time at the end.

Overall went quite well. was bit surprised at an chéad drama comin up. Ran out of time and had no chance to look over things at the end. Made loads of grammer mistakes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

It was an easy enough exam, all the questions were typical and easy to predict. I wish I had actually studied Irish now, the entire paper was surprisingly easy so it would have been easy to get really high marks!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

Quite a nice paper, I was shocked so many people were upset by it! I hadn't a clue about the theme of An Chead Drama, so just made something logical up, it's probably the easiest poem on the course :D

I also liked how open so many of the questions were. Pick the main theme is so vague and came up for so many of them

The only tosser of a question was Stair Na Gaeilge :rolleyes:

Plus, we're missing the big picture here: NO MORE IRISH EVER :D:D:D Any liking I had for the language from the Gaeltacht has been shat on by a joke of a course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

whya re people so surprised that oiche nollag na mban didnt come up??
    was there any reason that it "should"?? apart from people thinking that can predict a course that has never been examined before?!?

and to whoever said the two poems were random, thats the points....

i was pretty damn happy with it overall definitely.
    coulda gone SO much worse.

did it backwards,
    -Stair on Athbheocan, and Aisling
    -An Chéad Dráma questions, nothing too difficult
    -Bímse Buan.. for 1st poetry question, and Níl Aon Ní, on the contrast, and emotions.
    -Hypocrasy for An Triail, nice question, somehow got 3 pages out of it
    -and finally the one on Clare Sa Spéir, about tension in a modern family, and magic and humour in Cearrbhach, nothing too difficult.

im delighted with it the more i think about it, hopefully my B is secured, its what i've been aiming for since 5th year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Feck the stair anyways... Did some tripe on the Aisling and talked about the positive influence of Sponge Bob Squarepants dubbed in Irish on the young for the Mean Cumarsaide.

Never heard of an t-oileain so made some hand at the cead drama question - talked about life and death as a theme, skipped the other two.

Why the hell did we do "Toraiocht Diarmad agus Grainne" for the novel question... EVERYONE ELSE IN THE COUNTRY IS DOING AN TRIALL....

No sign of An Bean Og... bloody cearrbhach mccaba... Threw something together for the Clare sa Speir question

Poetry was grand - hopefully the examiner will give me a bonus mark for noting that Cathal O' Searchaigh was in love with a boy (lying Fiuntas) :rolleyes:

Anyone want to tell me how the marks break down - tis around 28% of the total exam or so, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

I dont think there was ever a chance of bean og because cearrbhach was a certainty and if bean og was there it would be 2 very easy pros stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

Irish is finally over.
    I had spent most of my time studying stair. Made up stuff for meain cumarsaide. I'd learn't loads for Ruraiocht and Fiannaiocht, ended up writing the Fiannaiocht for the "Laoithe na Fiannaiocht" and remembered Tain Bo Cuailgne was a Ruraiocht so I worked that in though I may have strayed (I claimed the king Rurai wrote it which may or may not be true I really don't know).
    Greann means funny right cos I did a few of the answers (cearrbhach and gealt) assuming it was *checks*. Yeah it does.
    Waffled a bit in poetry.
    Did alright in An Triail. I had learnt the characters but I just did about them and how they were hypocritic and dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

whassupp2 wrote:

and part 2 on cearrbhach (humour and magic).

Magic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

whassupp2 wrote:
    cearrbhach was a certainty

How

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

Does anyone know if you'll get more marks if you write the poet/writer in your answere as I went to the trouble of learning them as I heard it made a better impression...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

:| wrote:
    Magic?

yeah, draíocht

i did that too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 niamhy101

jimi_t wrote:
    Why the hell did we do "Toraiocht Diarmad agus Grainne" for the novel question... EVERYONE ELSE IN THE COUNTRY IS DOING AN TRIALL....

Well actually no, we were made do Peig of all things, truly horrible, pile of sh**e bout an old woman on the Blascaod Mor.

Easy enough question tho so i'm happy enough, if only we could have done something normal tho :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

It wasnt bad

my honours poetry answers were ****e though

should still be on a a high c, maybe scrape a B

:)

i'll probably rue those words in August

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭blahhh

i did terrrrribly......

didn't know either poem....so i made it up......

the rest was complete bull

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

it was HORRIFIC<, i definatly failed it im just hoping it wont make me fail overall cuz it was a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

jimi_t wrote:

We did Thig na Tit Orm, by Maidhc Dainín. Fantastic Book.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

My irish teacher told the class before the summer holidays last year that we all had to get An Triail over the summer and read it. The problem was that when she told us this she was speaking irish so only a few people understood and actually did it. I vaguely remember some conversation where the words "i rith an tSamhraidh" kept coming up but thought nothing of it.
    When I did read it in sixth year I was one of only a few who did. Even the teacher didn't read it. You could tell cos when we were going through our notes on it she was saying "The house was falling down. That's a metaphor for her life." Eventually I pointed out that the house actually did fall down.

My irish teacher told the class before the summer holidays last year that we all had to get An Triail over the summer and read it. The problem was that when she told us this she was speaking irish so only a few people understood and actually did it. I vaguely remember some conversation where the words "i rith an tSamhraidh" kept coming up but thought nothing of it.
    When I did read it in sixth year I was one of only a few who did. Even the teacher didn't read it. You could tell cos when we were going through our notes on it she was saying "The house was falling down. That's a metaphor for her life." Eventually I pointed out that the house actually did fall down.

It is also a metaphor for life....

And its like 5 pages long(ok slight exaggeration) but still, easy to read

Rockerette wrote:
    yeah, draíocht

i did that too

Oh sorry, i thought he meant the other question, that also mentioned greann, my bad! As you were....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Se&#225 wrote: »
    i thought..

stair was handy. i did dubhglas de hide agus an ghluaiseacht athbheocain, gaeilge agus na meain chumarsaide and just in case dha.

i maybe the only person in the country to do the teicniochta dramatuil for an triail. i love that aspect of the play and loved writiing about it.

the poems were good. i liked an ghealt and nil aon ni is by far my favourite poem on the course.

for ard section i did an toilean. i knew both of the poems well and i thought... everyone is going to do an chead drama cuz its easy or whatever and like the examiner will see so many an chead drama answers.. so i did an toilean and said it was about deirdre brennan's want for sex.. i made it work! ha!

all and all brilliant paper! and i think they were nice to non-fluneters. nothing was too hard on it, or too easy!

Ha! I didn't do on tOilean because I think an Chead drama is easier, but we had a right laugh looking for all her not-so-subtle double meanings in an tOilean! Seriously some of them are just creepy...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 brianfiel

did neone do cursa roghnach?

Advertisement