Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Smoked (practically black) Rear Lights : Legal?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I would hope they are illegal.

What do you think is going to happen when you're driving at night and someone crashes into the back of you?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the reflector wouldn't work, therefore it'll fail an NCT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Back in the day I used to have clear white lights (I mean totally white) on the back of my car and although you can clearly see the brake light they were illegal. I changed them back to the standard to to save myself the wrath of the Garda and what not.

I know reflectors don't really apply at night because you have your lights on but they are important. Say you park your car on some dingy country road where it's pitch black and somebody comes down that road, your car will not been seen and may possibly casuse an accident.

They do look cool though, shame really :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

layke wrote:
    I know reflectors don't really apply at night because you have your lights on but they are important. Say you park your car on some dingy country road where it's pitch black and somebody comes down that road, your car will not been seen and may possibly casuse an accident.(
    Or if a bulb blows.

I really hate when people tint or paint over their rear light clusters, it's impossible to see when they're stopping or turning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

i would presume they're for "show purposes" (read illegal)i think there are much nicer types out there aside from anything else. fk automaotive do a beautiful red/ white/ red type that would really suit the shape of your lights. that LED rear lamps are pretty swish......

yeah, those smoked lenses aren't anything special.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

NCT Failure:

http://www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf

Part 27 (Page 36)

Rear Lamps - Reason for failure (No. 3) NOT RED IN COLOUR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

No offence OP, they are a seriously inconsiderate modification. Your lights are there for the benefit of other road users.

I give anyone with these lights a wide berth, they have traded dubious cosmetic improvement against increased risk of being rear ended. At night you'd have some chance of seeing what the cowboys are doing, but in sunlight you really can't see the brakelights. If you're lucky there will be a high level LED brakelight, if not then it must cut at least a second off reaction time.

Just to satisfy my own curiosity, are you "pimpin" a diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Most people around my way don't wash their cars so you can't see their lights anyway. You are unlikely to get hassle from the cops but if you have an accident it might draw problems - ultimately its up to you. Heres a picture of one I made earlier - as you can see I masked the reflectors so they still work.

'cptr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭manti452

wow.. I never expected to draw such a vehement negative opinion.. sorry for the late reply I went to the pub after posting this ;)

From all the research I've done.. and it's considerable as my first thought is safety.. not style.. these lights pass MOT in the UK (so can't be completely non functional in terms of reflectors) and the process used as best I can find with this set uses a substanace that clearly allows light out from the inside.

-stark : my lights would be on at night .. therefore I would be seen no as layke commented. He raises a good point about the parked issue tho so I would hvae to see a set working before even considering them.

-cantdecide : I've seen those LED light clusters and was considering them but as its only a bog standard 306 I thought they might look out of place being one of the few things I plan on doing to the car. I wonder would they pass NCT (they are red lol)

-colmmcm you've posted a few times on this withnothing really more than a one line comment. I am a daily reader of this forum and have seen people being told not to bother with lexus lights anymore as they are "common" and "out of date". Smoked lenses were recommended instead.. I will not put lexus lights on my car so instead of just posting random comments can you help me with an alternative maybe? I am looking for help.

-wishbone .. thanks for that mate ! will be great to have it!

- carGrouch - nope mate just a 1.4 petrol.. thought about getting the diesel as I do a fair bit of motorway but the m50 in the mornings wouldnt justify the fuel prices with diesel so close to petrol.

I apologise if this is a bugbear for some people but I don't think people should judge someone just because of something they are thinking about doing or an opinion on what looks nice to them. I would hope the fact that I came here to get others advice on something I know little about would show maturity and consideration for other road users was a high priority for me.

thanks for all the comments they are much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Ah thats ok, you have the power of judgement so I can share one other tip. Keep your old lights and swap them on for the NCT. A mate of mine has to swap his lights, entire exhaust, induction system and ecu in order to pass but he drives an NCT'd car which is more than I do.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭cargrouch

Was being a bit cheeky there, a lot of the sported up 306s seem to be diesels in denial:D

Maybe the smoked lights I've seen in the past were DIY rattlecan jobs, but I've seen plenty that would be lucky to pass NCT. Mainly on 94ish Corollas, the country boy racers weapon of choice:D

I'd be 100% sure that there must be some drop in visibility even if these particular models do pass MOT. With the amount of spacers on the road I'd be trying to make my lights more visible! If my car hasn't had a wash for a while I will generally give lights front and back a wipe at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

wow their not near smoked, their black!! To dark imo

What would ye think of these ? http://cgi.ebay.ie/Peugeot-306-Red-Lexus-LED-Rear-Lights_W0QQitemZ4648577168QQcategoryZ10406QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would they not be very bright when lit against a dark colour car.. the car is 99 so these would be kinda shiny new compared to the rest of the car.. maybe a bit out of place?

As for 94 corolla's.. maybe someday if I save real hard.. I can get one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

manti452 wrote:
    What would ye think of these ? http://cgi.ebay.ie/Peugeot-306-Red-Lexus-LED-Rear-Lights_W0QQitemZ4648577168QQcategoryZ10406QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Would they not be very bright when lit against a dark colour car.. the car is 99 so these would be kinda shiny new compared to the rest of the car.. maybe a bit out of place?

As for 94 corolla's.. maybe someday if I save real hard.. I can get one ;)

These don't look too bad. I got these for my car: http://cgi.ebay.ie/BLACK-SMOKED-LEXUS-LIGHTS-VAUXHALL-TIGRA-NEW-E-MARKED_W0QQitemZ8072132954QQcategoryZ43117QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I feel that these lights add style to the car and are a big improvement on the factory fitted lights. Definately do NOT go for the ones which have chrome in them and are practically see through. I see these on boy racer cars all the time and they look god awful!

i.e these http://cgi.ebay.de/peugeot-306-lexus-rear-lights_W0QQitemZ8073311614QQcategoryZ23010QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Those tigra ones don't look too bad alright, I don't mind smoked lights when you can still actually see through them!

I really like the stock smoked headlights on the 2005-onwards hyundai coupes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

from the NCT manual

REAR LAMPS AND REGISTRATION PLATE LAMPS
    Method of Testing
    1. Check that two lamps are fitted symmetrically to the rear of the vehicle.
    2. Check that each rear lamp when in use provides a red light which is clearly visible. Fail
    3. Check that the registration number plate lamp(s) shows a white light and is operating effectively.
    Rear Lamps (1) Not working or faulty.
    (2) Missing or not clearly visible. Fail
    (3) Not red in colour. Fail
    (4) Lens broken or missing.
    (5) Not of the same dimensions and intensity. Fail
    (6) Insecurely mounted.
    (7) Not fitted symmetrically.
    (8) Contains water / moisture.
    Registration Plate Lamp (9) Not working, faulty or not fitted.
    (10) Not white in colour.
    (11) Lens missing or broken.
    (12) Showing white light to rear.
    ITEM REASONS FOR FAILURE
    36 National Car Test Manual

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

There way too dark,definuitly not smoked,more like burnt out!

Itd be easier to DIY,buy the can of light paint for like 15e and do a light coat over your lights,everything will still be visable but theyl have the smoked effect.I had them many moons ago and never had hassle but they werent really dark to draw attention.White spirits and elbow grease will take it off for the nct too

I've been reading the NCT manual and noticed it says this :

Check that each rear lamp when in use provides a red light which is clearly visible.

Now this would seem to be relevant to the bit that is being posted saying "lights will fail if not red". I'm wondering if that means not red when lit.. in respect to the above comment

I was doing more looking and found an auction showing lights actually lit : http://cgi.ebay.ie/PEUGEOT-306-PHASE-1-MIRROR-BLACK-SMOKED-REAR-LIGHTS_W0QQitemZ8072612441QQcategoryZ72245QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem If you look halfway down at the changing panel it would seem they light up quite well?

I'm so confused now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Considering the NCT boyos can fail you for your orange indicator bulbs not being orange enough (I still haven't seen them use an orangometer!), they'd probably be quick to hit you for the smoked lenses.

Like Interceptor said, keep the originals and sway them across for the NCT. Remember to do the same if you put on fancy number plates!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

layke wrote:
    I know reflectors don't really apply at night because you have your lights on but they are important.
    Some people don't put on their lights at night. :rolleyes:

Advertisement