Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anime... or manga?

Options
  • 08-06-2006 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

I was reading the Dragon Ball Z thread there, discussion of Bleach began and... it got me thinking. Which series' do you think are significantly better in anime form as opposed to their manga counterparts, and visa-versa?

For example, Berserk is a much better manga than anime imo... because one version actually has an ending. :) However, the Fullmetal Alchemist anime is superior to seemingly rushed and chopped up manga.

When ever I am introduced to a new series, I always want to view it in the generally best-regarded medium. I bought the first manga of Monster a few months back and loved it. Shortly after I had a watch of some of the anime. While they were actually very, very similar, I prefered reading the manga, so that's what I'll stick to till the end.

So which series' do you specifically prefer in anime or manga form, and why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Li'l Irish

the Inu-Yasha manga is superior to the anime because nobody tries to censor the blood and violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rei-chan

Li'l Irish wrote:
    the Inu-Yasha manga is superior to the anime because nobody tries to censor the blood and violence.

Well I'm sure the sub doesn't have anything censored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

Thomas%20the%20Tank%20Engine.jpg
    Dragonball Z is far better in manga form. I didn't really like the show but I loved the manga.
    It lacks the filler and the characters aren't actually all the same "man, I'm so mad" wrestler type guy.

The main improvement though is the different air it gives to historical events and people.
    (i.e. Freeza assaulted Planet Vegeta personally, the Namekians knew about the Super Saiyan, e.t.c.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ignis Divine

Hmm, well, I agree with the FMA anime being superior to the manga, but I've stumbled across some really weird anime/manga pairs.
    For instance, I can't decide whether or not I like the Naruto anime or Manga. The manga goes a bit further indepth, but since it IS a fighter style story, the anime gives it far more life. Keke, but then I usually favor Manga to anime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Cosine

I haven't as much manga as I have seen anime but mostly I'd favor the mangas. But Ignis Divine is right, certain anime/manga depend on what you are looking for, story-line or fights?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

Helling manga > Hellsing animé
    Love Hina manga > Love Hina animé
    Trigun manga < Trigun animé

That's my opinion anyway of the animé and manga I own. In some cases its best to watch the animé first and then read the superior manga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Son Goku

Thomas%20the%20Tank%20Engine.jpg
    Zen 2nd wrote:
    Trigun manga < Trigun animé
    I'd agree with that. I think the guy who actually created Trigun has a very messy drawing style.
    Anytime one of the characters uses their
    angle arm
    for example, it's very hard to tell what is going on. Legato doesn't have the Shakesperian vibe he has in the manga either, he's sort of just an all purpose madman.

Not to mention the extra gung-ho guns, I'm glad they got rid of the transexual, he/she recieved no characterization in the manga.

Although the section with Vash and Knives'
    sister
    was kind of cool and you got to know more about the plants.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Graki_Khan

Generally I find that the manga has more to a story than the anime, just because of the medium. Dunno if its true but from what I've seen, generally one anime episode is taken per volume of manga, if the manga was created first. So, in 25 mins of animation you would get considerably less content than in ... i dunno how many pages are in a graphic novel, but a fair few. So the anime tends to be watered down story, to make the viewing more ... user friendly?

Personally I like complication and I like thinking about a story long after I've read or watched it so, for me, the vast majority of the time the manga is better than the anime. (If the manga was created first)

Two examples of this are Great Teacher Onizuka and Gantz.

I've heard from a reliable sourse that the FMA manga are way better than the anime, even tho the anime is delightful! But, about were the story in the anime stops being unreal, to being kinda dodgy, is where the creation of the anime over took the manga.

One anime that I thought was better than the manga, even tho the manga was created first is Gravitation. Having seen the anime I skimmed through a volume of it until Shuichi said "Its ok. I don't mind that I was gang banged." I promptly droped it, and ran out of the shop.

So yeah, which ever one was created first, thus is truer to the creators vision, I think is better.

Advertisement