Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who's taking the Golden Boot?

• 08-06-2006 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭

So who do you think is going to finish as the World Cup's top scorer? Suker nabbed it for Croatia in '98 and Ronaldo took the honour in 2002 but what player will take this year's tournament by storm?

I've found out that Ronaldo is 10-1 with Stan James, Adriano is 12-1 with Bet365 and Ronaldinho is 14-1 with Coral.

Thierry Henry is also 14-1 with Coral.

My own view is that Ruud Van Nistelrooy will take the accolade. He has something to prove after falling out of favour with Fergie and he won't be tired having not played much for United. I'm thinking of placing a bet on him.

Who do you believe will end up with the Golden Boot though?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Peter Crouch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Luca Toni. It's a given!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Theo Walcott is a shoe in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Adriano is surely good value at 12-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Can't see past Ronaldo or Adriano taking it with a fully fit Ronaldinho + midfield behind them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Larsson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Ronaldo or a good bet Close @33-1 considered who they playing not a bad bet gauranteed 5 games at least.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

nipplenuts wrote:
    Luca Toni. It's a given!

18-1, very kind odds for a pure goalscoring machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Spreaking of the Italians, Del Piero is 100/1 on Paddypower with 1/4 of those odds for a top 4 finish. what am I missing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Ill go for Henry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'm gonna say Pauleta (28/1). He was Europe's top scorer in the qualifiers with 11 goals (Portugal played 12 games) and if Portugal can get to around the semi's he should be up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I'd fancy Crespo at 20/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Its looking like the big man is going to recover from his knee injury so Pighead is gonna plump for Shevchenko at a whopping 25/1.:eek:
    Heres why:

Ukraine are in one of the easier groups and I expect Shevchenko to bang in a couple against the Saudis and maybe 1 or 2 against the Tunisians.

Assuming they come 2nd behind the Spaniards Ukraine would more than likely meet the French in the next round. I'd fully expect Ukraine to beat the Frenchies with a solitary Shevchenko goal and set up a meeting with the Czechs.

Ukraine V Czech Republic is a toss of a coin game in my opinion which means we have a decent chance of seeing the Ukrainians in the Semi Finals V Argentina.

Thats as far as I see them getting but thats more than enough time for Shev to leave his rivals for dead. I predict he'll bag 7.

Pigheads bets: Ukraine E/W: 66/1
    Shevchenko to win Golden Boot: 25/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

Yeah I think Sheva could do it.He scored tonight btw.But watch out for Podolski too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i think baros might be worth a few quid, him or kezman. they both score fairly consistantly at international level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Pighead wrote:
    Its looking like the big man is going to recover from his knee injury so Pighead is gonna plump for Shevchenko at a whopping 25/1.:eek:
    Heres why:

/QUOTE]

He wont be played in either if he has a niggle, and they shouldnt miss him. Assume him to start and come off when the game is won. If he was fully fit it would be a good bt but with that niggle they wont risk him if they have qualified after 2 games.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I think Schevchenko too. Lineker showed in 86 that you don't have be on the best team or play all 7 matches to take it. You just have to be lethal in front of goal.

Plus it'd be a fitting accolade for the best striker since VanBasten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

€10 on Luca Toni
    €10 on Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuud. I think it will be either or.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Pigman II wrote:
    Plus it'd be a fitting accolade for the best striker since VanBasten.
    I think Ronaldo has to take that crown. :) I think Sheva is a good bet at that price for the Golden boot but I can't see Ukraine going very far. I completely forgot about van Nistelrooy. He'll definitely bag a good few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Italy have a tough group, so dunno how many Toni is gonna score. I'd look at Klose/Podolski, Villa and Sheva, who are all capable of banging them in against the group teams they've drawn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Disagree on Ruud - tough group. Golden boot willprob come outof a group with at least one whipping boy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

i have money on henry and ballack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

I am with pighead here....in PP last night and seen Mr Cenko at 25/1 and i was thinking well Ukraine can play a bit on their day and wondered who was in their group Spain, TUNISIA, S ARABIA, i'll be having some of that. wHO IS Spains top man these days, will also be in with a shout.

I also fancy Portugese striker their group isnt the toughest either.

Advertisement