Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about wakeboard and fins..

Options
  • 08-06-2006 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    A few years back I did a bit of wakeboarding and got pretty good at it but then stopped just recently I have started back at it with a friends board.. I got up every time from the word go but once im up the board is eally giddy on the water. I have to put all my concentration into staying up on it and I tend to drift out to the right hand side of the triangle if yhou know what I mean.. also it feels like the boards nose is constantly pointing to the left, right, left etc...
    I did notice that there were no fins on it but there were holes for fins.. Can I just order a fin or 2 (or whatever!) and just bolt 'em in place for hassle free wakeboarding??
    And if yes, where??

Thanks,

Hakko

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Depends really on the boat. is the board the right size for your body. The weight classification for the board will also make a difference. You can just order fins and try and see if it helps. But its not a dead cert that it will. Only places i know where to buy are up in the north or a small shop in sligo. surf & sails or something like that.

The boards should reach about ur shoulder. it shouldnt be larger than that. The larger the cut of the fin the more balance you u have from it. But if ur doing stunts then u should stay clear off them. aka u should only need a small fin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Thanks Nialo..Have you any contact details for Surf & Sails?

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

Sunset Sails And Windsurfing
    Adelaide Street
    Sligo

TEL: +353 71 62792

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Grimlock

Sounds like ride regular, if that is the case try letting go with your (right) back hand. Riding finless won't cause this to happen but it will make it a bit harder to keep it in line. when you drop your back hand your shoulders fall in line with your hips making it easier to keep the board inline.

You'll need to find the brand of board before you buy the fins because they all seem to vary, for example CWB use one screw with 2 supporting posts while hyperlites use 2 screws no support posts.

It sounds like the board could be too long, so not sitting deep enough in the water and not tracking as well as it should.

What height / weight are you?
    What brand / model and length is the wakebaord.

I can tell you more if I know these things :)

**double Post**

• Advertisement

Lidl are selling wakeboards with bindingss next week.

If you are taking it up again it might not be a bad investment.

Hers a link:
    http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20060619.p.Wakeboard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I don't like the sound of those boards.. A foam core.. Or maybe all boards have that??
    Anyway, My dad went into wind and wave and got some fins put on for fifty euro.. I have another question now..
    I am unsure about the spacing of the bindings.. they may be okay but what is the optimum space between your feet?

Thanks..

50 for fins :eek: I wouldn't pay that.

Have you tried letting go of the handle with your backhand? It should have helped. Fins will help you edge but if your stance and technique are worng in the beginnning there is nearly nothing fins can do for you.

Most boards have foam insides, but for one season, 250 it's not a bad deal.

To get to spacing right for yor bindings, stand on a height (chair, small wall etc), on to solid ground. When you jump up, tuck your knees into your chest, then when you land (knees no longer at your chest of course :p). Mark the postion of your feet, they'll be about shoulder width apart, but also look at their angles, both should be pointed outward, like a duck. Mimic this in your bindings, as placing the bindings on to the board straight you could blow out your knee a LOT easier. Bindings should be at a 5 to 15 degree angle, in general.

Once you've got your position marked out on the board place your bindings on and secure them tightly to the board.

hth's

Advertisement