Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its stupid laws like this that make me angry

Options
  • 08-06-2006 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

Protection of legal rights should not be done in a capricious manner. And yet IRMA, as they admitted on the Last Word, do not believe that it is lawful for the owner of an iPod or other MP3 player to copy music from their own CDs, bought and paid for, onto their own music machine, bought and paid for.

They say that this is a breach of copyright, and therefore - by their emotive language, used in campaigns this year and for many years before - theft.

However they also say they don’t intend to do anything to enforce their rights to prevent this just now. Why should action against uploaders be a vital priority - no matter who they are - when the larger threat, from their point of view, must be the fact that every MP3 player and iPod is an occasion for wholesale theft of IRMA’s claimed property? Or, conversely, why should owners of MP3 players have the threat of potential legal action hanging over them if they haven’t done anything wrong?

We didn’t get an answer to that one on air.

DRI are in favour of civil, legal and human rights being protected in a digital world. That must extend to the legal rights of copyright holders, as much as individuals. However, perceived breach of a legal right would not excuse responding breaches of the civil right to privacy.

Further, if IRMA’s belief that it is illegal to move your legitimately purchased CDs to your own music player is correct, we believe that the law must be changed

To make things short its illegal to put music on your mp3http://www.digitalrights.ie/2005/11/16

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I knew this sounded familiar, the news report is from last year. But yes, it is a silly law. I would have thought prior to this being brought up by IRMA that copying an album onto an mp3 player was covered by fair use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

The BPI in the UK have moved the trasfer of legally owned tracks to a listening device out of the illegal grey area it was in.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5053658.stm

Personally I hope IRMA come looking for people on this so that it can be brought out in the open just how idiotic the outdated law is in the digital age...I can go out and pay 15 quid for an album but if I want to listen to it on my 300 quid portable device I have to pay ANOTHER 10-15 quid for a lower quality, DRM protected digital copy from iTunes or whatever? F*ck that sh*t yo.
    I tend not to buy much music...IRMA's stance tends to push me toward continuing down the illegal route...they're cutting off thier nose to spite their face on issues like this...artists are who end up suffering, when they should be protected

Advertisement