Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cleaning engine?

Options
  • 08-06-2006 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

As per my (thankkfully misguided diagnosis) head gasket thread, theres a fair bit of oil and dirt all around my engine. Has anyone got any tips on how to/what to use etc when getting an engine sparkling? cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I used a basic engine degreaser a while back, it did the job but since then plain old diesel has been recommended to me.If you have a compressor with the spray gun, the long nose type, apparently they do the job best.Anyone who has bought a compressor from aldi or b+Q would have one.;) They come with the kit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

gunk, no seriously, Gunk is what you want. Smells nice too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

i used engine degreaser followed by a good hot powerhoseing. But watch out for the electricks. Safe enough with a deisel but i have been told petrol engines should be running when washing them. i did it and was running on 2 or 3 cylinders for about 20 mions drive after, dont think it would have started if i didnt leave it runnin.
    My dad washed me sis engine one time and didnt drive it after next day it wouldnrt start, but did with a bump start. car died about 3 miles later on a hill!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Mix a bit of washing power with water, can't beat it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Throw a bucket of very hot water with washing up liquid over the engine. It's powerful stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

If you're at all concerned about the electrics, I recommend following the advice in that link I posted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I use a degreaser, brush it in, powerhose it off, and spray on autoglym rubber and vinyl protector. Then drive the car for a few miles to dry that. You get a very shiny engine bay that'll last a couple of months.

As said above, spray away from electrics, or cover them with a plastic bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭VeVeX

A good 'traffic film remover' or TFR is the only man for cleaning engine bays. You can buy Concept - Delta Force Plus in a 5L from PR Reillys in kilbarrack for about €19. You just spray it on neat while engine is running. Works best after a drive. Leave it 2-3mins and then Power hose off. It will lift anything off an engine. Also use it 50:1 for pre-soak prior to washing your car.

Advertisement