Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claiming back rent allowance - possible?

Options
  • 08-06-2006 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭

Right, I've been living with my brother for the past five years, renting a room off him.

It's occured to us that since I haven't been claiming rent relief for all that time, I should be able to claim tax credits for this year and previous years, yes?

The only issue is that he never declared the income to revenue - but since he never received over the €7k threshold, this shouldn't be that big an issue, right?

Can I claim back tax credits for the full five years, or is there a limit on it?

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

seamus wrote:
    Right, I've been living with my brother for the past five years, renting a room off him.

It's occured to us that since I haven't been claiming rent relief for all that time, I should be able to claim tax credits for this year and previous years, yes?

The only issue is that he never declared the income to revenue - but since he never received over the €7k threshold, this shouldn't be that big an issue, right?

Can I claim back tax credits for the full five years, or is there a limit on it?

:)

i think it's up to 6 years you can claim.

i'd say you're brother would still be in trouble, even if he did earn bellow the threshold, as you're supposed to declare it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

You'll only be able to claim back to the beginning of 2003 as far as I know. 254 euro per year is what you'll get regardless of how much you say you paid.. They won't go after him as long as it's not over 7 grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I think the current limit is 4 years.

There are two ways of treating this. Either as a domestic situation, where there is no real profit and correspondingly no real entitlement to a tax credit or a commercial arrangement where tax was due (the Revenue can chase you back 12 years AFAIK) and you can claim your credits.

Advertisement