Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

who would you put your money on?

• 08-06-2006 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭

just to see what the opinions are for the winner of the World Cup, who do you see winning / hope to win?

(obviously I can't put all the teams into the poll)

who will win? 67 votes

Brazil
    0% 0 votes
    England
    34% 23 votes
    France
    4% 3 votes
    Germany
    1% 1 vote
    Italy
    2% 2 votes
    Spain
    16% 11 votes
    Argentina
    10% 7 votes
    Portugal
    23% 16 votes
    USA
    2% 2 votes
    Czech Republic
    1% 1 vote
    Trinidad & Tobago
    1% 1 vote
    Togo
    0% 0 votes
    Mexico
    0% 0 votes
    Costa Rica
    0% 0 votes
    Croatia
    0% 0 votes
    Sweden
    0% 0 votes
    Other - Name
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Much as I dislike them, Italy probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

Argentina for me.I expect the germans to go far though,perhaps the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Argentina v england/brazil final. argies win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

It's impossible to look beyond Brazil IMO. I think the Dutch will go far, as will the Germans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I`ll go out on a limb and go for Brazil.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Can't see past the Brazilians either to be honest. Not only have they got the wonderful Ronaldinho but they have Kaka as well! I predict an Argentina Brazil final with Brazil prevailing 3-1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Argentina all the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

brazil for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i have to go for england

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I put my money on Spain and the Czech Rep - tenner on each.

Neither will probably do it. Meh.

*Shrugs*

Tis only 20 euro.

EDIT: I should point out tho that Brazil are obviously who I expect to see win. But their odds ain't great at the bookies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I reckon it's got to be Brazil for the win, but I'd really love to see Holland doing it. I just hope van Basten doesn't live to regret leaving Huntelaar at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Definitely Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I'd love to see Germany win, I feel they are over due one. I predict a Germany v Brazil final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Argentina for me...Tevez to take over the world! :D

Argentina to win.I think that Messi will absolutely shine at the world cup.He is a special player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

agreed. Messi is the one player who, if fully fit, will kick some ass at this world cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I went for England because I've had this nagging feeling all week that they're going to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I put a few euro on Spain and Mexico both each way bets so hopefully they do something for a change :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

Woo Wooo my first footie post!! (thanks mod)

...anyways....

I cant see past Brazil either, look at the subs they have... Robinho, Cincinio, etc...

that being said for puttin money on i went each way on Spain and Argentina and top scorer Mickey Owen @ 16-1, hoping for a hatrick vs T & T...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

do messi and cicihio make the first 11??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I'm going to go for Italy.

I know it's hard to look past Brazil but I think its going to be a European team. The obvious ones being Ingerland, Germany, Italy, Spain, Holland.

Italy will just about scrape through the group stages. Then they will actually turn up in the knockout stages and I'd say go quite far. they will be difficult to break down as usual and have Luca Toni in form.

Good value at 9-1 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

mada999 wrote:
    do messi and cicihio make the first 11??
    messi is an argie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Obviously Brazil are overwhelming favourites and I expect them to win.

But I think Portugal are a good bet. Last I checked they were around 25/1, which is amazing I think. With the likes of Deco, Figo, Ronaldo and Tiago I reckon they have one of the best midfields in the competition. Up front Pauleta and Nuno Gomes are in form apparently and we all know about Carvahlo and Ferreira at the back. With Big Phil as manager I give them a decent chance.

England, Italy, Spain, Holland, the Czech Republic and France also appear to have a decent shot, and you can never discount Germany. Despite Messi, Riquelme and Tevez I don't fancy the Argentinians, so I reckon a European winner is fairly likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Obviously Brazil are overwhelming favourites and I expect them to win.

But I think Portugal are a good bet. Last I checked they were around 25/1, which is amazing I think. With the likes of Deco, Figo, Ronaldo and Tiago I reckon they have one of the best midfields in the competition. Up front Pauleta and Nuno Gomes are in form apparently and we all know about Carvahlo and Ferreira at the back. With Big Phil as manager I give them a decent chance.

Looked into Portugal myself but dont rate them enuf, nuno gomes and pauleta aernt up to much tbh and wont score enough goals, Figo is well past his best, their defence is a bit shaky and do they still have vitor bia in goal? He isnt great.

Surprised theres not much mention of the Czechs, i put 10euro at 33-1. Very strong, physical, technical team and Koller and Baros always put a few goals in. Really strong defence with Cech in goal and nedved in the middle.
    they should have won euro 2004 and I think they threw it away, great side imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Nah, I'd currently rate Portugal a lot higher than the Czech's. Poborsky, Koller, Nedved and Galasek are all crucial players for the Czechs but are all over 33. Nedved has had a poor season with Juve and is nowhere near the player he was.

i know he's an argi.... i meant do cinciho and messi start in the first team for brazil and argentina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

never saw the betting thread

mada999 wrote:
    i know he's an argi.... i meant do cinciho and messi start in the first team for brazil and argentina
    I don't think Messi has many caps so far but there would be murder in Argentina if he's not in the world cup team. He should start most games.

who is definite to start for the argie's

Tevez, crespo messi ???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

mada999 wrote:
    who is definite to start for the argie's

Tevez, crespo messi ???
    Not by the looks of it.

http://home.skysports.com/worldcup/article.asp?hlid=393633&CPID=4&clid=632&lid=&title=Messi+misses+out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Grr, delete USA and put in Holland :)
    Holland are my bet

was just looking at skysports and they have predicted the brazil starting 11...up front they say ronaldo, ronaldinhio and robinho... is there no room for Adriano ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

the coach has already said he'll eb playing "the 4" - Kaka, Ronaldinho, Ronni & Adriano.

As for argentina, no Tevez or Messi starting the 1st game... interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dont think England will (hopeing to be proved wrong) so I went with the Italians. Its the sort of thing that would happen, they don't to win so they will.

Mike.

The Italian 12 year theory...

1970 (outside Europe): runners up - Lost to Brazil in the final

1982 (Europe): champions - Beat Brazil in the 2nd round.

1994 (outside Europe): runners up - Lost to Brazil in the final

2006 (Europe): ??? - likely to meet Brazil in the 2nd round...

Also in '82 Rossi began the tournament a hated man among Italians for match fixing - he got player of the tournament...

;)

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

On my predictor I got an Italy - Spain final, with the Czechs being the ones to derail Brazil!

I can only hope.

I think Brazil will have to be on their game for every minute to win this. Unlike say Italy who could put in a poor performance and still come out with something. If Brazil are lackluster I couldn't see them keeping a clean sheet. It's different to other years when they had a solid defense and 2 defensive midfielders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

I think the 5 teams who ''can'' win the world are : Argentina , Brazil , France , Italy and Spain ... i personaly think Italy will do it as they have much to prove because of all that scandal in italy at the moment... and they have an excellent team too!

Thank fck for this:
    DUISBURG, Germany, June 10 (Reuters) - Italy defender Alessandro Nesta has been given the all-clear for Monday's World Cup Group E game with Ghana.

"From today Nesta is avaliable to the coach," Italy team doctor Enrico Castellacci told reporters on Saturday.

Central defender Nesta has been struggling with a muscle injury and has not trained with the team since they arrived in Germany on Wednesday.

Castellacci said that defender Gianluca Zambrotta and Gennaro Gattuso -- who will both miss Monday's opener with thigh injuries -- could return to full training next week.
    I'm actually not disappointed that Gatusso is out. De Rossi is a better all-rounder. Gatusso was rubbish against the Swiss last week. Every pass went astray, he's a glorified Neil Lennon. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

portugal have a great chance of winning they have a very good team and there are 22/1 to win the tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Has to be Brazil, I think Kaka is just as good as Ronhaldino & then of course there's Ronaldo, Robinho & Adriano & even Juninho who is starting on the bench for some reason thaught he's been alot better than Emerson & Ze Roberto this season & not only is he the best in the world at free-kicks but his link up play with fowards is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

chiller wrote:
    portugal have a great chance of winning they have a very good team and there are 22/1 to win the tournament.

I have a tenner on them to make the final at 9/1, there a great outside bet to wn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Trinidad and Tobago have convinced me to go for them after today's performance. Dwight Yorke to lift the world cup after a final hat trick! :p

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Serbia and Montenegro fools

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Brazil are unbackable at 5-2. It's shockingly low odds for a team who have to win 7 games to lift the trophy. Still fancy them myself.

Other then that, Portugal have a good group and a good run to the Final. Plus big Phil Scolari is a super Tournament manager.

Argentina too are a solid enough bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Head says the Argies
    Heart says Czech Republic
    Money went on Spain :)

Advertisement