Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shabadu - Help! (Please!)

• 08-06-2006 10:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭

I'm trying to make some pastry for a quiche, and I'm not finding it easy at all. I even went to the trouble of going out and buying a rolling pin!!!

My mothers recipe says to crumb some stork into flour and add some water. Bam- that's all I have. When I do it, it is either too wet or it seems to dry and falling apart, not tough and doughy like.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I take it as a huge compliment that you requested me by name. <3

Firstly, you need to add the water only a tiny dribble at a time, and work it gently until it comes together. You'll need less than you think. When the pastry starts to come away from the edge of the bowl you're almost there. Unlike bread dough, you do NOT need to knead pastry. Remember to touch it with your hands cupped, don't prod it too much. Just form it into a ball gently & pop it in the fridge for half an hour so it's easier to handle.

When rolling, use a good scattering of flour over the worktop and your rolling pin.

I'd use butter but stork is fine if you prefer. Remember that a little fat goes a long way with quiche pastry which is meant to be quite thin. Don't forget a pinch of salt. Hope it works out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Well your the one and only when it comes to this. I don't think there's anyone else as passioonate about their food here!

Thanks for the great advice, I think I managed to fumble my way through it, but I forgot to do some of the things you mentioned, which on reflection I remember my folks doing. So I'll try and remember them for the next time.
    The first time I did it tonight, I DID add too much water, heh heh, WAY too much.

I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks again for the great advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Ah now, there are people here who are way more knowledgeable about food than me. I just post so much as I mod it, & would be reading the threads anyway, and just add my 2cents. Seriously, MAJD, bonkey, Babaduck, Blub2k4, tSubh Dearg, frobisher, all brilliant foodie types, and all the others who I have forgotten temporarily due to the insanely hot weather. You're welcome for the advice, I hope it turns out well. :)

Group hug everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

I agree with Shabadu that butter is better (the taste difference is incredible). Also if you suffer from hot hands, making pastry in a food processor can be the way to go - I know it's not the traditional way, but if it works for you, so flippin' what?:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Shabadu wrote:
    Group hug everyone!

Damned hippies at it again!!! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Shabadu wrote:
    Seriously, MAJD, bonkey, Babaduck, Blub2k4, tSubh Dearg, frobisher, all brilliant foodie types, and all the others who I have forgotten temporarily due to the insanely hot weather. You're welcome for the advice, I hope it turns out well. :)

Group hug everyone!

Ta for the compliment :)

Course...pastry is generally my downfall, so for this thread, I'd have been (b)utterly useless.

I've recently started getting to grips with pasta and potato-bread, though, so maybe there's hope for me yet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Pastry - everything's got to be coooool.

Cool hands, cool room, cool utensils, otherwise it'll become greasy and fall apart. My mother, of the cool, small hands, does magnificent pastry. My brother, of the banquet-preparing, massive, hot hands of the passionate meat chef, cannot make pastry to save his life.

Ceramic bowl (stays cooler), cold tap on your hands, cool room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Pastry - everything's got to be coooool.

Cool hands, cool room, cool utensils, otherwise it'll become greasy and fall apart. My mother, of the cool, small hands, does magnificent pastry. My brother, of the banquet-preparing, massive, hot hands of the passionate meat chef, cannot make pastry to save his life.

Ceramic bowl (stays cooler), cold tap on your hands, cool room.

Aha, this explains a lot, thanks MAJD.

Never could do pastry to save my life, it's the only* thing I buy pre-prepared.

*exaggeration rules ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

I'm dreadful at making pastry too - why can't I make it like my MIL???

I freely admit to cheating & buying the best ready-made stuff I can find. However, by the time I'm finished with it... it's flippin' gorgeous. I made some little tartlets last week - sundried tomato paste on the base, real smoked ham, sliced tomatoes, brie & a drizzle of olive oil.

I made way too many, brought the rest into work & the big thick country lads told me they were nicer than the jambons from the Spar... praise indeed!!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

while shortcrust is relativily easy to do.

how do ya do flaky/puffy stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Woo Hoo - We'er both still alive after eating the quiche!! Actually it wasn't too bad at all, the pastry turned out grand, despite one or two things I forgot to do in it's preperation!

Thanks a bunch guys for your good advice. I'll be making it more often and as my folks used to use the same pastry for apple tarts, I might give that a go.

Advertisement