Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital Cover

Options
  • 08-06-2006 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My long term gf and I are expecting a young Audioslaven near xmas. We haven't (Well She doesn't) any health cover so I am wondering whats the story with hospital bills for the birth etc. Our GP said that all visits are free as well as 3 nights in a public hospital. Would this be correct???

Any info on this would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭ST*

We haven't (Well She doesn't) any health cover so I am wondering whats the story with hospital bills for the birth etc. Our GP said that all visits are free as well as 3 nights in a public hospital. Would this be correct???

I don't honestly know myself, but I can't think why a GP would tell you that she is covered for 3 nights unless she would be.

One thing you haven't accounted for is a C/Section. These will require a weeks stay in hospital, and the procedure itself will cost. I really hope that doesn't have to happen, but it is something you have to take into consideration here. I think you need to go back to your GP, ask about the 3 nights cover again, and also what fees are expected of you in the event that a C/Section must be carried out.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

GP visits are covered under a government scheme afaik. You're entitled to X number of visits, I can't remember the exact amount. You're entitled to free care to an extent in a maternity hospital also, but afaik you would have to pay for extras like epidurals etc.

One of the mums can probably give you a more precise answer. We are going private so am not sure what's covered by the public system exactly.

Oh and congrats btw. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Ya Cheers for the information.

I don't know alot about this stuff, so any info is appreciated. I do believe the GP but just like to know the full details.

Thanks
    Audioslaven

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Basically, as I understand, all women are entitled to free antenatal and postnatal health care. Your gf will go to her GP, pay for the first visit, then they'll send off a form to get her signed up with the government scheme. After that, all visits are free.

Which is good, considering GP visits are every month, then she'll go to the maternity clinic (either in hospital or elsewhere) to meet the resident obstetrician. These visits will start around 17-20 weeks, and will repeat every 8 weeks or so, getting more frequent as time goes on. The OB will refer her for the scan, which takes place at the hospital usually around week 20 (unless something concerns anyone, in which case it may be earlier).

All of this is covered by the government (our tax money at good work I think).

Once at the hospital, I don't know the particulars about costs for epidurals, c-sections, etc, but all women are entitled to 3 nights' stay in a public room (usually has around 6-8 beds, although they may or may not be filled). Your GP would know the info about any extras.

All normal care (ie: delivery, post-delivery care/counseling, etc) is covered, and I think a nurse visits the new babe at home for the first couple of days to make sure everything's ok (I could be wrong on this point though). After that, 2 visits with the GP are covered (2 week and 6 week, I think?).

I have insurance, and I thought the perk to this was that I got a private room in a public hospital, but I just found out from the hospital that this isn't true (at least there). Only private patients get private rooms.

So really, I don't see any difference in having insurance versus not, although there could be a difference if any "extras" are required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.nmh.ie/Internet/index.php?page=FrontPageFormat/PatientInfo/ObstetricPat/MaternityCare.html

http://www.cidb.ie/live.nsf/0/802567ca003e043d80256c6800478fb4?OpenDocument
    Public Care

Every woman is entitled to free maternity care including all antenatal care, all care during labour and childbirth, and all postnatal care and covering hospital accommodation costs for mother and baby in a public ward. At the public antenatal clinics in your hospital attempts may be made to ensure that you see the same doctor each time (continuity of care). Several hospitals offer public patients the choice of attending the Midwives' Clinic which are staffed by experienced midwives and provide continuity of care for women with uncomplicated pregnancies.

During labour and usually during delivery you will be cared for by the hospital midwives. You may not need to see a doctor at all. If you need an assisted birth or Caesarean Section, you will be delivered by the doctor on duty. The doctor will see the mother six weeks after delivery

nesf wrote:
    but afaik you would have to pay for extras like epidurals etc.
    All of the proceedures are covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I had my first baby in February.

Your GP visits are free, but not endless visits. I think there are 8 -10 in total, two of which you have to use for your babys 2 and 6 week check-ups. Any GP visits that are not strictly pregnancy-related (for example, I had to see mine about gallstones) you will have to pay for.

Hospital-wise, I went public, and it was completely free. I ended up staying 3 nights and 4 days (admitted on a Friday to be induced, let out on Monday) and I didn't pay a penny. You don't have to pay for epidurals/sections/ either if you go public.

As a first time mammy, I found it better for me that I went public and I was in a ward with 5 other mammies. Sounds cramped, but when you're a first timer, its great to have other mammies there who can give you advice etc. My aunt had a baby boy three weeks ago and went private. Was in a room of her own and felt very lonely (she was in for 5 days though, as she had a section). She actually asked to be moved into a public ward as she was so bored. There isn't that much difference in public V private hospital care post-natally. Only difference I saw was, in ante-natal check ups, you see the same doc each time if you go private. I went public, and I saw three different docs. That was more down to the hospital I went to (Our Lady Of Lourdes Hospital, Drogheda) as it services a huge catchment area.

A c-section does not require a weeks stay anymore - it is five days maximum. This whole thing of being charged if you stay over 3 days public isn't true either - a lady in my ward was on her 3rd section, went public, and didn't pay for any of the "extra" days she stayed over.

After the baby is born, the PHN will come to your house to do the heel prick test, weigh the baby etc. She will also call again at some stage, and also at 3 months to do a developmental check. After that, you don't see her until the baby is 9-12 months old, when a hearing test is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

Advertisement