Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

United 93

Options
  • 09-06-2006 2:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

zzzzzzzzzzz

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

As Iarnrod Eireann says, were not there yet but we are getting there.

There was an old tune/limerick about the West Clare Railway, went along the lines of...

"Are you right there, Michael, are you right?
    If we're lucky, we'll be there by night.
    It all depends on whether
    the train'll hold together.
    And it might, there, Michael, and it might!"

Actually, on some of the Irish Rail trains I've seen, it might still be accurate.

NTM

There was an old tune/limerick about the West Clare Railway, went along the lines of...

Actually, on some of the Irish Rail trains I've seen, it might still be accurate.

NTM
    You mean there could be an iarnrod eireann 93?:eek:

You mean there could be an iarnrod eireann 93?:eek:

Wasn't the Enterprise Express bombed once or twice in the 70s and 80s?

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

You mean there could be an iarnrod eireann 93?
    Anyone remember the story at the time about the Irish suicide hijacker?
    Apparently, he hijacked a hot air balloon and spent the day bouncing it off Liberty Hall.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

NTM
    A tad off topic, bu that tune was a Percy French song :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I saw the film today in the cinema and I have to say it was very moving. It provides a very realistic way of how events happened that day, sickening as they may be. But rest assured, the fundamentalists involved in this barbaric destruction made at least one thing possible, the destruction of them and their mates (allies). They did one thing right, forming a template for their own fanatics demise, ridding the world of their type of evil. As Iarnrod Eireann says, were not there yet but we are getting there. The world will be a safer place to live in time, so I pleed to everyone bear with the coalition till the job is complete, war is no easy business. However if it is in future generations that we hope our sacrifice now will bring them more hope and security in the future then I am all for it.
    You sound like GWB there Darkman. Since when has it been proven that Iraq had anything to do with flight 93? I dont see the "hope and security" in Iraq and afghanistan.
    The movie was a dramatisation after all, why take it at face value ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

tallus wrote:
    You sound like GWB there Darkman. Since when has it been proven that Iraq had anything to do with flight 93? I dont see the "hope and security" in Iraq and afghanistan.
    The movie was a dramatisation after all, why take it at face value ?

Planes have a terrible environmental impact who knows one day the hijackers might be seen as heroes for destroying these highly polluting machines.

Lets Roll (to save the planet)

MM

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

It provides a very realistic way of how events happened that day,
    Given that we know virtually nothing of the details of what happened on the flight, I find it somehow hard to believe that its more than a view of how events might have happened.
    But rest assured, the fundamentalists involved in this barbaric destruction made at least one thing possible, the destruction of them and their mates (allies).
    Last I checked, their mates/allies haven't been destroyed at all.

Iraq has been thrown to the dogs. Afghanistan ain't in much better shape. Tens of thousands have been killed or injured.

And the allies of the people behind the attack? They're still out there, working towards their aims, getting stuck into the chaos that has ensued from the US' response and generally continuing on how they were before.

Global terrorism is up, international security is down. The international opinion of the US and its foreign policy is in-or-around an all-time low, particularly in the nations where these allies of the attackers want their influence to be most felt.
    They did one thing right, forming a template for their own fanatics demise, ridding the world of their type of evil.
    The only way our current path will rid the world of their type of evil is if we supplant it with an even greater one.
    were not there yet but we are getting there.
    Are we? What basis do we have to judge that we're getting there? What yardstick can we use which actually shows that things are getting better?

This seems more hopeful than considered in nature, to be honest.
    The world will be a safer place to live in time, so I pleed to everyone bear with the coalition till the job is complete,
    Hold on. The world will be a safer place in time, or the world might be?

You seem to be implying here that the coalition needs people/everyone on board in order to succeed. If thats the case, then people pulling out of the coalition means that the world will not be safer. Conversely, if its irrelevant whether people stick by the coalition, then why are you pleading for this unnecessary support?

Now...if we look at the current situation, we have a trend of people leaving the coalition...but you still believe the world will be safer. This doesn't make sense when taken in perspective with your plea.
    However if it is in future generations that we hope our sacrifice now will bring them more hope and security in the future then I am all for it.
    IN other words, if it all turns out good, you're all for it? But you can't know it will all turn out good. So do you mean you're all for it if there's a just a possibility that it all turns out good?

Which means you're all for it even if it goes to hell in a handbasket, because it might have worked?

Whats that old saying about the road to hell and good intentions?

jc

Rovi wrote:
    Apparently, he hijacked a hot air balloon and spent the day bouncing it off Liberty Hall.

The headline I saw (with picture) said "Kerry suicide pilot attacks tower in handglider. Casualties: 1.

NTM

Advertisement