Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boresighters

Options
  • 09-06-2006 4:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

Dont know what yer thoughts are on this piece of kit, but any advice is welcome and any recommendations on what brand to get would be nice.

Dont know whether this is just another high-tec piece of kit for a shooter to play around with or maybe they have some merit. Yeah i know you can boresight without them by eye, but a faster more accurate way would be better no????

Anyway opinions/experience welcome!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

They're a handy tool for initial setup on a scope, getting you 'on paper' straight away, and saving a few shots during the zeroing process.
    Also useful for setting the scope perfectly level.

I borrow one of these (Tasco Shot Saver Boresighter) from a friend of mine-
    photo3035e2no.jpg
    http://www.tasco.com/riflescopes/accessories_3035e.shtml

We have eight or so rifles between us to fiddle with, so it gets a bit of use every now and then.
    Not terribly expensive, around US$55-65, the price of a cheapo scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I've a Leupold magnetic boresighter, got it fairly cheap off ebay, very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Wouldnt be bothered with one if it was a one rifle once of job cause its not that hard to do getting it on paper is easy enough manually boresighting it and more often that not it will be fairly well lined up anyway and then its just a matter of finetuning it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

A boresighter is very useful indeed if you need to check zero, like after transporting a rifle. Once the rifle is sighted in properly, just note where the crosshairs sit on the boresighter, and then confirm that later with the boresighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

somthing like $50USD for a lazer boresighter on Ebay,a well worth piece of kit to have to make life easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

CG how do those laser bore sighters hold up at about 100 yards in day light, the reason i ask is because the cheap laser pointers tend to be crap and their beam is very broad when pointed at anything far away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Vegeta wrote:
    CG how do those laser bore sighters hold up at about 100 yards in day light, the reason i ask is because the cheap laser pointers tend to be crap and their beam is very broad when pointed at anything far away

Not to brilliant[excuse the pun].As any laser is not much good in broad daylight or rain /fog.The unit itself is a very good unit that is used on some handguns and shotguns.Just it is mounted on a appropriate to the cal bore rod at the muzzle so you set the scope to the dot at specified range.Proably intended to be used on indoor ranges or ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

Read an article that they are to be used for zero at 100m and then you manually fine tune after that, cant remember the site have been doing heaps of reading on gadgets etc for ages now.

Advertisement