Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Day 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    "Puerto Rico... Costa Rico... Costa Rica"

Classic Giles.

Nothing beats "Yakabooboo"

Surpised how bad defensively Germany are. Cant see anything other than a Germany win but they are up against very poor opposition who have found huge gaps in their defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

3-2, game very much back on! Paulo Wanchope yet again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Does anyone still think Germany can win the world cup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Their defence is very disappointing :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

What a screamer from Proffessor Frink

4-2

How will anything live up to this??? 4-2, Frings. Definite goal of the tournament contender!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Ruu wrote:
    Their defence is very disappointing :(

They were saying that all last week alright. Apparently the defence were savaged in the German press after they drew 2-2 with someone in a friendly, think it was Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

Cracker from Frings.

Very entertaining game.

Great start to the tournament.

Cracker!

Two great goals today. The ball is moving a lot, Lambes shot moved in a way it probably shouldnt have. Inside of the foot should have been curling in all the way but it swereved in and out. Not taking anything away from the goals but it could be a summer of crackers! God bless the keepers!

• Advertisement

God bless the keepers!

Wasn't God himself a keeper? Or was that the Pope?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Nothing beats "Yakabooboo"
    My favourite (besides 'On-Ray') is when Giles talks at length about that former Spurs and Luton superstar Ken Doherty.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Wasn't God himself a keeper? Or was that the Pope?

God. Pair of hands on him like bunches of bananas!

PHB wrote:
    Does anyone still think Germany can win the world cup?

I never like to write off ze Germans. Everyone did four years ago and they went to the final. They're on home soil this year so will be more dangerous than ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Shocking defence! If the Germans get beyond the first knock out stage with that CB pairing it'll be a miracle.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

I wouldnt write the germans off just yet.They have some very good players and i think they will improve as the tournament goes on.They were missing Ballack and Huth too.

Lahm played really well i thought.

I think Souness is a great addition to the RTE panel.

• Advertisement

Anam wrote:
    I think Souness is a great addition to the RTE panel.

Potential for some great clashes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Anam wrote:
    I wouldnt write the germans off just yet.They have some very good players and i think they will improve as the tournament goes on.They were missing Ballack and Huth too.
    Their defence is still crap with Huth in it and has been for over a year. There's not a hope of them winning it. I have to write the Germans off this time. :) It's the team as a whole defensively, not just their defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

They're not going to win it, but they should improve if/as they gain momentum and when Ballack returns - remember they had a "terible" side at the last WC and at Euro 96! They still have some good players but the defence needs to be sorted out - can't help but think it's too late though. If they finish top they'll play Sweden or Paraguay, they should get to the quarters.

Sweden or Paraguary, shirley shum mishtake?

Mike.

Isn't it the winners of Group A versus the runners up of Group B?

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Don't know about that. From what I saw earlier Dunphy et al seemed to be licking Souness' arse. I wonder if Souness has heard the comments Dunphy made about him earlier in the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Jesus the German defence is a shambles.Not the sort of thing you can fix as you go through the tournament.
    I`d be surpised if they get past the quarter final stage,although I hope they have a good run as I stuck a few quid on Klose being topscorer in the tournament.

MJS - any chance you could save the Apres Match pieces and upload them? :) I thought the Ballack - Ronnie rap off was excellent. :)

eirebhoy wrote:
    I thought the Ballack - Ronnie rap off was excellent. :)

agreed! 10/10 for that one! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

How many complaints are going to be made about the new adidas balls? :)

It seems at every tournament there's a fuss about the footballs! Usually fizzles out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

MrJoeSoap wrote:

When Bill asked Souness how he would solve the defensive problem I was expecting Dunfy to say sure what we he know he signed Boumsong

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Friedrich at right-back was appalling, I can see why the Germans don't rate him. He needs to be replaced. Mertesacker and Metzelder did OK I think, Metzelder needs games.

Great game btw.

I hope Souness is there and Boumsong has a shocker. It'd be interesting what he'd say when Dunphy/Giles tore into him.

Is Olisadebe starting for Poland? Whatever happened his move to Portsmouth that time? I'm just remembering it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Ruu wrote:
    How many complaints are going to be made about the new adidas balls? :)

god they really fly , it's gonna make for some great goals.............and a lot of pissed off keepers .

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote:
    Is Olisadebe starting for Poland? Whatever happened his move to Portsmouth that time? I'm just remembering it now.
    He hasn't made the squad in quite a while.

Watched a few minutes of the game there. Didn't look great. Hopefully a cracking opener won't be followed by a boring 0-0.

Don't think I've ever seen that before. Throw > Head > Head > Goal! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

1-0 ecudoar

1-0 ecudoar

Fair play to them. Were Poland the favourites with the bookies? No one here in work was giving Ecuador a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Lemlin wrote:
    Fair play to them. Were Poland the favourites with the bookies? No one here in work was giving Ecuador a chance.

I think i was the only one on the boards too in the prediction thingy :p

COME ON ECUADOR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Triton

Are there any highlights shows on tonight?

eirebhoy wrote:
    He hasn't made the squad in quite a while.

Only one of the greatest strikers ever on Champ Man!

Surprised with the Polish, have two of their players in my fantasy team and thought this was a sure thing.

SPORT: World Cup Match of the Day
    On: BBC 1 Northern Ireland
    Date: Saturday 10th June 2006 (starting in 4 hours)
    Time: 00:50 to 01:35 (45 minutes long)

Adrian Chiles introduces highlights of the opening day of the 2006 World Cup. Hosts Germany got the tournament under way against Costa Rica, while also in Group A Poland faced Ecuador, who have never advanced beyond the group stages. England will no doubt have been paying attention as they'll play one of these four teams if they progress to the second round.
    (Widescreen, Subtitles)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

2-0 Ecuador

That second goal was a mile offside.

Don't think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

i believe, according to dazed and bewildered sources such as k cunningham, that olisidebe had a falling out with the manager. apparently up until their last 3 games before the WC, they played a 4-4-2, and were quite good at it too, but since that falling out, have played 4-5-1, and well, look at the match tonight

Well I'm glad Poland is our adopted nation for WC2006.

For the first ten minutes they had some decent stuff followed by 80mins of insipid gutless crap and then some kitchen-sink antics at the end thrown in for good measure that you in your heart of hearts was never going to pay dividends.

It's like we were actually there ourselves! :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Olé!

Nicely done by Ecuador.

• Advertisement

I thought Poland 2002 was the worst team Europe ever sent to a World Cup but this lot may run them close.

Mike.

i believe, according to dazed and bewildered sources such as k cunningham, that olisidebe had a falling out with the manager. apparently up until their last 3 games before the WC, they played a 4-4-2, and were quite good at it too, but since that falling out, have played 4-5-1, and well, look at the match tonight
    They played 2 up front throughout the qualifiers. Unlucky to have a perfectly good goal disallowed tonight. Some excellent individuals but there didn't seem to be any system tonight. I couldn't tell you if they played any central midfielders and I would put most of the blame on the manager for that performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

hit the bar twice unlucky. they need to do well against Germany

What goal.

Did I miss something or are you talking about when their No. 8 played on after an offside decision and should have got a yellow card for booting the ball away :D

mike65 wrote:
    I thought Poland 2002 was the worst team Europe ever sent to a World Cup but this lot may run them close.
    I take it you don't remember Greece in WC94? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement