Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup Day 1

13»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Saudis 02...

I didn't think Poland were that bad, they just didn't have enough cohesion in the final third.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Delighted with the result, had Ecuador backed for the win and to get out of the group, so am a happy man so far, 1 down, 1 to go! :)

Poland got exactly what they deserved - nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pepe I said European side. :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

empirix wrote:
    Germany should win easily- i'll go 3 -0 myself. Word on the street is Ecuador are not that bad and have caused a few upsets in Sth. America whilst qualifying, i myight take them to beat the poles,i ddint think they were anything special myself although we may hot a polish bar and hope the women get frisky, now where can we find a polish bar in Dublin!

Yep as i thought, lads you try to hard:D and i think Paraguay might trouble the English, i'll go for a draw

Poland not that bad!! very ordinary

empirix wrote:
    Yep as i thought, lads you try to hard:D and i think Paraguay might trouble the English, i'll go for a draw

Poland not that bad!! very ordinary

I doubt the women were too frisky after that result! ;)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

mike65 wrote:
    Pepe I said European side. :)

Mike.
    oops, the masturbation is making me light-headed.

MrJoeSoap wrote:

sorry to be such a beggar, but do you have the other goals from todays games hosted anywhere ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

sorry to be such a beggar, but do you have the other goals from todays games hosted anywhere ? :)
    http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=psychohare
    What goal.

Did I miss something or are you talking about when their No. 8 played on after an offside decision and should have got a yellow card for booting the ball away
    Well he was onside and clean through and scored after the whistle was blown. OK, it technically wasn't a disallowed goal but I'd have been raging.

I've just gone looking to see who actually was playing in central midfield for Poland tonight.

Radoslaw Sobolewski (Wisla Krakow) Born: 13.12.76 Caps: 17 Goals: 1
    Wisla Krakow turned down a 400,000-pound bid from Scotland's Hearts for Sobolewski and another from Southampton during the transfer window in January. Primarily a midfield enforcer, he has widened the scope of his passing and now regularly gets into the box when Poland attack. Emerged with credit from October's 2-1 defeat against England, but has struggled for form since returning from injury in March.

16-Arkadiusz Radomski (Austria Vienna, Austria) Born: 27.6.73 Caps: 18 Goals: 0
    Has failed to prove himself as the Poles' holding midfielder despite numerous starts but has improved steadily and goes to Germany hoping to press Sobolewski for a starting place.

Judging on tonight's performance I think that's where their problems lie. Poland were good when they started but as soon as they conceded and Ecuador began to attack they looked ordinary. A bit like England. :) Let them play and they'll beat you, go and attack and you'll exploit them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

Poland were terrible, they had some bad luck with some shots hitting the bad/post but for 85 minutes they looked as if they didn't want to win by putting constant pressure on the Ecuador defence.

waiting until the last few minutes of the game to try and win back something was really bad. Ecuador on the other hand defended very well.

btw - shouldn't there be a new topic for each match or is there going to be a "World Cup Day 2", a "World Cup Day 3" etc type threads from now on instead? would be better to have seperate threads imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

I know this isnt part of the Day 1, appareantly the Togo manager has quit, and they'll have no manager for the WC. I have no proof of this, but i read something earlier and cant find it anywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

btw - shouldn't there be a new topic for each match or is there going to be a "World Cup Day 2", a "World Cup Day 3" etc type threads from now on instead? would be better to have seperate threads imo.

I guess thats up to you (and me and eveyone else) to decide!

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    I guess thats up to you (and me and eveyone else) to decide!

Mike.
    done. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

eirebhoy wrote:
    MJS - any chance you could save the Apres Match pieces and upload them? :) I thought the Ballack - Ronnie rap off was excellent. :)

Really sorry but only recorded the games themselves... Went to get changed after the Germany game and could hear the lads in stitches laughing at whatever Dunphy was on about. Should probably have kept recording!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

shouldn't there be a new topic for each match?

Yes, yes and Yes !!
    Who started this "World Cup Day 1" one anyway ?!?! ;-)

Germany 4-2 Costa Rica
    A great start to the WC it has to be said. Germany under Klinsmann do get their men forward and their goals came, good ones at that. They are weak in defence but as a neutral I would take a 4-2 rather than a 2-0.

Ecudaor 2-0 Poland
    Poland were poor against Ecuador. However, they hit the woodwork twice but only after they were 2-0 down, once they woke up and brought on some subs. Ecuador were ok, but also not great.

Overall, Group A is weak. Germany seem to be playing with confidence and at this moment in time it make take them far. However, it remains to be seen if a leaky defence will be their undoing early on. At least they look as if they will be entertaining. I'm not a fan of Klinsmann as during his playing career his just did too much of his diving which unfortunately will always live with him and taint him for life. He is an ok guy otherwise and had some reasonable talent as a forward but watching that diving and rolling around was just pure sickening, and he revelled in it as well.

Looking forward to a good world cup. Brazil, have a very strong chance, Argentina would be my next, and then like Brady I would bunch the rest of th next level group together, including Holland, France, Italy, Spain (well, ya never know!). I'll try not to think of England too much, will get our of their group. Would be good to see them up against Germany. Either ide couldwin that and what would the likelihood be that it woud go to peno's, Rooney to miss!

redspider

Advertisement