Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location of plastic ducting in walls?

Options
  • 09-06-2006 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi,

I am putting in a HRV system in my self build which means that I have some plastic pipes running down the external and internal walls. My plasterer is starting next week and I wanted to check if there is any standard way of marking where the pipes are in the walls for the future? I took pictures of the walls b4 the plasterboard was put up but maybe there is a more common/better way of marking these? Also, is there anyway of protecting the pipes?

Lastbuilders

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

Best way I can think of is to mark the floorboards directly below them - that is assuming they are running vertical and you are carpeting so that easy access can be made to the marks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭tribesman

I don't know of any way of marking where the ducting is but I found that taking photos with a measuring tape in the picture was very useful. I used a metric only tape that had easily visible red marks every 10cm. This meant that you could read the tape from the red marks even though the photos were taken too far away to actually read the numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭dmck

You could try a crude record drawing, draw out the room including windows and doors etc (it doesn’t have to be perfect or even to scale) and mark in the measurements on that. A simple sketch coupled with photos should cover you for future reference. Don’t forget to mark in heights from the ground as well as distances.

d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sparkyjo

well there is a nice little scanner you could get it no a 100% accurite but it gives a good rough guide to were cables and joists and other obstructions are maybe that could save you a bit work

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭beolight

to protect your pipes what i done in my house was gun o prened some exterior grade floor tiles i had left over onto the back of the plasterboard which was covering the pipes this worked fine except were you came accross apipe located close to a joist

otherwise perfect

i had to use a diamond table saw to cut and a diamond bit to drill any type of hole in the floor tiles(after burning out countless masonory bits) everything pretty safe now unless of course you come accross somebody veryt determined to drill a hole in that location:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement