Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone ever used Natural Stone Carpets before?

Options
  • 09-06-2006 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

I have heard a bit about the product. does anyone have any experience in using them , I have heard from a few people that they are easy to deal with but I am no interior designer. Any tips on the product or prices?

Greatly appreciate the help.

Does anyone else have any experience with this company or these types of floor finishes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Yes my Uncle and Aunt had them installed in their new house last year, they look excellent I mean really really good.

The cost is about the same as tiles AFAIK, they mix the stone and some form of mortar then troll it level on the floor, about the same dept as a good floor tile, they then come back the following day and put the sealer on top.

They will mix up samples for you of whatever colours you want, they also do nice borders and breakers, my Uncle has two different mixes in his kitchen/living area withe a wave affect in the middle looks excellent.

He couldn't recommend them enough.

Only one thing I would say is if its a new house I would get it installed before teh kitchen goes in, he had it installed afterwards and the Island is now sat in the mix, could me messy if you ever need to move it!.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

Yeh I heard in the kitchen any free standing items i.e fridge , washing machine , island they would work under but not under the fitted kitchen itself. seemingly it saves money. thanks for your comments. do you have anidea of the price quoted

Not off hand but I can find out for you over the weekend if you like although that was a year ago so prices have probably changed, probably best to call them and get a price.

Thanks I might just do that. Regards Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Soledad

70 euro per sq metre fitted. But beware look at a few places whcih have had it for a while before getting it done.
    I was all for it until I investigated it further and went to see a few places whihc put me off.
    I was told by people who have it, admittedly in high traffic areas that it is very ahrd to keep clean, is like a skating rink when we etc.
    Do a search for it here and also on askaboutmoney where there are a few threads on it and ask the company to tell you who has it in your area so you can go and have a look. They were more than happy to arrnage with places in my area for me to have a look see.

• Advertisement

Well I have to say my relations have had ir for a year and have had no problems at, its actually not slippy at all when wet much safer than tiles and a lot easier to clean than tiles, well between tiles anyway.

i have seen it in a few places . i took your advice and called them. it is in fact 85 a m2. thats about 70 in sq yards flooring terms. i am overall impressed. there is a company in the north and he wont give references maybe it was him who is supplying to these areas. it has very high non slip properties. the same as a tile. so i dunno where u saw it sol. i will keep ypu posted on my progress have someone coming to measure up tomorrow. might be able t slot me in next week. hopefully!!

Hi Guys just letting you know. I have had the floors installed. They look marvellous. The company was a pleasure to work with unlike a well known carpet group in dublin. Des Kelly carpets. Fairly ignorant staff. The office staff were great at helping to pick colours and the lads who actually put the floor down were very accomodating. I had a few requests which semed to be not as big a problem as i thought. Overall exellent product excelent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

Could you post a pic so that we could get an idea what the finished product looks like?

I'm building nexy year and I'm always interested to see new products etc

Tks

• Advertisement

Naux wrote:
    Could you post a pic so that we could get an idea what the finished product looks like?

I'm building nexy year and I'm always interested to see new products etc

Tks

Iwould but i dont have a decent digital camera. have a look at the website there are a few pics on it www.naturalstonecarpets.ie

Highly recommend it.

I saw it done on the floors of the Limerick Youth Centre. Looks icky.

Soledad wrote:
    I saw it done on the floors of the Limerick Youth Centre. Looks icky.

What does icky mean. It really depends on the colours you pick. There is seemingly over two hundred and you can mix and match them aswell. I am delighted with mine as are others that you can see in the thread and on other boards.

I suppose different strokes for different folks.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Doesn't do it for me I must say, plus it's very dear at €70/sq.m if that's the price.

It looks like a real hassle to clean also.

It can look excellent if you choose a nice mixture of stone, its no more expensive than good tiles and its pretty easy to clean.

When I say icky, probabaly a silly word to use really but I meant just old and tired looking. It was down two years when I saw it and at first she said they were thrilled with it but after a while and probabaly in fairness due to the cleaning agents they were using it just got very dirty in places and worn unevenly and scuffed and just not nice.
    It was in a very high traffic area granted but it put me off buying it.
    If you have it and are happy then yours is really the only opinion which counts in this.
    TBH I have had to justify a lot of my interiors choices to people and got tired of it, please yourself, it is your house afterall.

Soledad wrote:
    When I say icky, probabaly a silly word to use really but I meant just old and tired looking. It was down two years when I saw it and at first she said they were thrilled with it but after a while and probabaly in fairness due to the cleaning agents they were using it just got very dirty in places and worn unevenly and scuffed and just not nice.
    It was in a very high traffic area granted but it put me off buying it.
    If you have it and are happy then yours is really the only opinion which counts in this.
    TBH I have had to justify a lot of my interiors choices to people and got tired of it, please yourself, it is your house afterall.

Well Sol i suppose each to their own.
    the colour i got is called a four bag mixture. four different colours. it works perfect in my area. now that you say it you get cleaning guidelines with the floors which reckons luke warm water is best. not to mop it but to scrub it three times a year and clean by hoovering like a normal carpet.

So far so good. and the whole experience was excellent considering that i am colour blind and my g/f i in the usa for a year. she the one that be good at that sort of thing.

thanks to those who pointed me in the right directions with tips and that.

If anyone has any questions about the product i will help as much as i can

Advertisement