Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard opinions please

Options
  • 09-06-2006 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Am finally jumping to PCI ex due to the untimely (arctic cooling assisted*) demise of my X800 XT PE. So I need to get a new mobo to replace my trusty MSI K8N neo 2 platinum.

It's going to be running an opteron 146 which is currently running happily at 2.9 so it's gotta be a good overclocking board. I know that DFI is the obvious choice but I hear the fan is a bugger and i can't afford the expert. So anyhow I'm thinking about any of these
    Abit AN8 SLi nForce4 SLi
    ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
    DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-D

I'm leaning towards the abit due to cost and also reviews. Any thoughts, or other suggesions?

*arctic cooler killed the fan header on the x800 and i don't think i'll get an agp rma from asus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

beg, borrow, steal and buy the Expert!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

DFI DFI DFI DFI DFI DFI:D

Well the board depends on what GFX card you are getting.......

If you hope to get an equivelant PCI-Express ATI card from the RMA then get the DFI lanparty Ultra-d......

If you are getting a Nvidia card and want the option of SLI, get the SLI-d

If they give you a X1800XT or X1900XT (unlikely :p ) Then get a LanParty UT CFX3200-DR, its an amzing overclocker and it gives you the option of going Crossfire...........

If you want to overclock get a DFI, If you got 2.9ghz with the MSI, The DFI should easily get you to the 3ghz mark..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I knew that DFI would be the popular choice :). Was thinking the sli-d as i've just got an nvidia card. Thing is I'm wary about laying down a significantly higher amout of money on what will be in a few months (weeks if conroe hits as hard as it should!) a defunct platform. The DFI would cost more than the opteron and i don't know is .1 ghz and a ton of options that i might not use worth that. aargh decisions decisions...

still on a related note, is it true that the chipset fan a noisy bugger.

Its not bad at 4000rpm, but it is still audible.......

All chipset fans are noisy..........

Its a tough decision.......

Maybe you shoulkd sell the 146 on fleabay or boards.

And get a conroe setup in a few weeks........

Because if the $250 E6600 conroe beats a FX-62, It would put a 2.9ghz OPteron 146 to shame........

And The E6600 is clocked at 2.4ghz and they do 3ghz easily enough from what i have seen.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

The Asus Premium board has a passive heat pipe..no noise...

• Advertisement

the abit also, and from the reviews i've read the abit seems a very good clocker too...

I dunno.....

Im crap at making decisions:D

I wouldnt invest in S939 with AM2 released and conroe so close......

I would go AM2 and get a €105 athlon 64 to last you until K8L.

Or I would go 775 and get a €140 805 to last you the few weeks until COnroe is released.

Either way you will need DDR2....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think you need toi be careful about what intel boards you buy now for conroe, as not all revisions will support it...there was a good post over on overclockers about which boards are currently available.

Come on Conroe, plz be as good as intel say!

ok so made a few decisions:

1) conroes not in the equation yet, wanna see what amd come up with to counter it so i won't be doing a full upgrade till xmas at least

2) the abit is out of the picture, seems it doesn't like the ram I have (gskill 4000hz)

That leaves the asus or dfi (unless anyone else has suggesions). The asus is about 20 euro cheaper than the dfi (if i find a place that has them in stock - apart from ocuk who want to charge 22 sterling for delivery:rolleyes: ) though the dfi is definitely more tempting.

anyone else got words of wisdom for me on this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'd go with the Asus Premium, DFI are very fussy with bios and RAM, they can be a b*tch to get stable.

• Advertisement

DFI are rock stable out of the box, They can be as easy or as complicated to use as you choose.........

I have never had problems with my lanparty other than it not booting after a case change which was fixed with by clearing th bios........

The DFI also has CMOS reloaded, so you can save 4 whole BIOS configurations :)

I have a stock configuration and a overclocked configuration, and either can be loaded at startup with the press of a button :)

The DFI will also hold it value a lot better, You will get good money for a DFI lanparty Ultra-d in a few months.......

Good luck getting more than €60 for a ASUS a8n-E......

Advertisement