Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tender

• 09-06-2006 12:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

Lidl seems to be doing sailing gear in a weeks time. One thing that caught my eye was a dingy which could be a nice tender. Has anyone seen this before? If you have whats the quality like? They claim it can take a 10hp engine but as an inflatable I'd imagine it could be too flexible.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Western Cruiser

Unless it is CE marked as an approved craft for carrying x amount of people it is not an approved "boat"...

Leaving aside the safety and quality issue, there would be all sorts of insurance problems in the event of an incident!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

It does appear to be CE marked and TUV with a approval for three adults. This is why I'm interested in opinions. I'd imagine that the insurance for the yacht will cover it as a tender if it has these although naturally I'd check the policy first. I've only ever used a plywood tender but this is getting on and needs to be replaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Alkers

Got a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭qmac

I have been looking for a new tender and noticed the Lidl boat this morning.
    It does appear to be certified (C type V certified) and has a much higher spec than anything else in this price bracket available through the usual boat suppliers.
    The design seems to include an inflatable hull that seems to form a reasonably sturdy V wich may provide the rigidity to carry the 10hp outboard
    Anything I have picked up in Lidls (I'm a very recent convert) has been of good quality – including wetsuits, tools, beach gear and household items.
    I must admit if it comes with a guarantee I'll be heading up there on Monday to pick up the dingy too.
    (Let me point out that I am in no way associated with Lidl)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

Yeah, It looks pretty good - in comparison to anything else in that price bracket its spec seems to be above average...

I'm contemplating getting one just for some minor fun about when there isn't enough wind out to take out my laser.

I'm rather concerned as to whats the story with the warranty - i wonder do lidl have a solution in place.

I picked up the dingy yesterday and it all seems to be up to scratch.
    The boat comes with a three year warranty (which is two year's shorter than the bigger brand names to be fair) but appears to be pretty tough for what it is.
    All the appropriate registration and certification info is in order so insurance shouldn't be a problem.
    The only real niggle I would have is the valves are not standard as far as I know. Any inflatable I have ever had has used a boston valve but this uses something produced by the manufacturer.
    As long as I don't lose the pump adapter I should be fine (it comes with a spare).
    The inflatable floor and hull are a very good design and should give much better performace than the price would suggest.
    The only other place i could price inflatables with these features was on the viking marine site - for a similar boat you would be talking about €1,000.
    All in all I'm happy with the boat - if it falls apart when I put her in the water in West Cork at least there is a Lidl in Skiberreen where I can return it.

Hope this helps.

nice one

any pics,

best of luck with her anyways.

Thats pretty big. Nice one

have you a engine to give it a test run...should be fun

Baby seem to be enjoying it too:)

digiking

• Advertisement

I do have a 2.5 mercury gathering dust in the shed in West Cork, I'll certainly give it a run when I get down there.
    On the down side it makes towing the tender a pain.
    A little rowing is good for the circulation!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

As a newbie to the world of boating apart from renting the occasional one for fishing, as a keen angler myself and a friend bought a lidl dinghy to test the water before commiting to a more expensive choice (don't excuse the pun.)

We brought it out to a small Blessington lake last night and are more than happy with it's size and portability, now the next aprt is an outboard.

As we'll primarily be fishing from it, the guy from our local tackle shop recommended an electric motor of about 2hp would be fine.

As luckily he happens to sell these exact types of motor, I thought I'd I'd fish about (again sorry, I can't seem to help it,) to see if this is the most approiate and manintenance free method as opposed to a petrol or diesal model.
    Also would 2 HP be suffecient?

Anyone got any advice?

yeah 2 to 4.5hp is plenty - i don't know how the hell it can take a 10 hp one.

My preferance would be a petrol one - and you don't have annoyance of charging the batteries either, all you do is pick up some petrol at the local station for it

digiking

I used a 4HP on a 23ft sailing boat. Does the job. I think anything over around 5HP on a boat that size is overkill. I don;t have much experience with electric motors but I have heard they don't have much endurance. If you're using it on a small lake in good weather it should be fine. On the Sea with some chop you may want a petrol outboard. 2HP should be fine on the boat.
    The downside to petrol is it's loud enough and can be messy if it's 2-stroke. All marine engines need to be maintained as it's a pain having to row in if it breaks down. Talk to Kileen marine in Dalkey or contact a local boat club as often people will be selling engines cheaply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

Hi

Dingly looks good.
    I would say it HAS to be CE marked to sell it in Europe

Never-the-less does anyone know where they still might be on sale ?

How much ?

Thx
    Spin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I was told that in Union Chandlery in Cork they have a big sign saying 'Don't be Lidled' or something, and have a similair dingy for sale for about 100euro cheaper. Might be worth giving them a ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

A-Trak wrote:
    We brought it out to a small Blessington lake last night and are more than happy with it's size and portability, now the next aprt is an outboard.

You do have your permit from the ESB ?
    You will almost certainly be approached by the warden If you do not have your registration numbers on the boat.
    Jim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭alinoee

it will be in lidn on 10th. i was wondering if it worth to buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Bought one of these last year and delighted with it, would defo recommend

Will plane with 1 person with a 3.5hp, will plane with 2 people with a 5hp. Come's with everything needed and tbh is good value for money

Advertisement