Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things to do with Tarragon

• 09-06-2006 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks to the nice weather, and my discovery that feeding herbs in pots actually does work (!), I've got more tarragon than I currently know what to do with. So, apart from tarragon chicken, tarragon vinegar and stuffing a whole chicken with tarragon, all of which I've done, and still have loads left, can anybody suggest a good use for it? Nothing too fancy-shmancy though ... I'm a 'handful of this and a glug of that' kind of cook :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I take it that's a no then ? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Didn't see this...

I have a recipe somewhere for chicken in an orange juice and tarragon sauce, which sounds odd but is fantastic. Off the top of my head though ... no help. Sorry.

But you've made me want to cook with tarragon again...its fab.

Thanks, that does sound interesting! I've googled a bit, and looked up recipes on bbc.co.uk/food and pretty much without exception they all involve chicken. Now that maybe because they work so well together, but I was kind of hoping for something a little different.

Reason is, I've got the stuff coming out of my ears at the moment, as we appear to be having our summer over here at the moment, and it seems such a shame to waste it. Mind you everything else ... coriander, mint, chives, parsley, thyme, marjoram is doing the same, but I'm not at a loss as to what to do with those :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

babaduck wrote:
    Thanks for that. It's an American site, so some of the recipes are a bit difficult to follow (all that broiling, skillets and 'heavy cream' :) ), but I've picked up a few basic ideas that I might be able to incorporate into something, like tarragon mayonnaise for example, or using it in salad dressings. Possibly the most bizarre though was a grapefruit and tarragon sorbet ... not sure about that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

Well then, check out

http://www.globalgourmet.com/cgi-bin/hts?convcalc.hts+britterm+new
    http://www.cooking-solutions.com/UK%20glossary.html

My nexty door neighbour/friend was American so she was great for explaining the mad terminology to me. Her pineapple casserole had to be tasted to be believed... some people loved it... me, not one teensy bit! I did introduce her to the delights of proper Norn' Iron' potato farls though, which she misses like mad in San Fran right now, along with decent crisps/chips

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Alun wrote:
    Thanks for that. It's an American site, so some of the recipes are a bit difficult to follow (all that broiling, skillets and 'heavy cream' :) ), but I've picked up a few basic ideas that I might be able to incorporate into something, like tarragon mayonnaise for example, or using it in salad dressings. Possibly the most bizarre though was a grapefruit and tarragon sorbet ... not sure about that :)

broiling = grilling
    skillet = griddle pan
    heavy cream = double cream
    a capsicum = a pepper
    cilantro = coriander

I can speak american!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

Alun,

Just saw this post, I posted two chicken recipes on the chicken fillet thread which use tarragon.
    Does tarragon have any wood turning applications?:)

AdrianR wrote:
    Just saw this post, I posted two chicken recipes on the chicken fillet thread which use tarragon.
    Thanks, I'll have a look at those!
    Does tarragon have any wood turning applications?:)
    LOL! Not that I know of, no :) I suppose I could use tarragon oil as a finish on a salad bowl to give it a nice smell at a pinch though :)

Advertisement