Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Live and a new HD

Options
  • 09-06-2006 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭

i've done a few searches here and in general and I just want to confirm

From what I understand the sequence to having a large HD (for xbmc) and being able to connect to xbox live is
    1. Don't connect to Live
    2. Chip the xbox
    3. put in the larger drive
    4. lock the drive
    5. turn off the chip
    6. connect to live
    7. bob is you uncle

As long as you have the chip off when you're on Live then your ok...correct?

Am I close?

Move this thread if needed

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

you can keep the stock HDD and use it for live with the modchip turned off you can either have a switch and keep one hdd on top of the xbox and one inside and have the stock one on for live or simply swap them around or you can get this

http://www.divineo.com/cgi-bin/div-us/dd-xb-xtender.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

mustang68 wrote:
    i've done a few searches here and in general and I just want to confirm

From what I understand the sequence to having a large HD (for xbmc) and being able to connect to xbox live is
    1. Don't connect to Live
    2. Chip the xbox
    3. put in the larger drive
    4. lock the drive
    5. turn off the chip
    6. connect to live
    7. bob is you uncle
    As long as you have the chip off when you're on Live then your ok...correct?

Am I close?

Move this thread if needed

Thanks

What you said is fine, the reason you shouldn't connect to live BEFORE you upgrade the hdd, is that when you connect to LIVE for the first time, it takes an evil snapshot of your hdd, and the epprom code, and matches them to the motherboard, so even if your chip is turned off, and you have a new hdd installed, as soon as you connect to LIVE, the snapshot will be wrong, and it will ban your ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

what about a softmodded one? any chance of restarting it with the xbox dashboard first or something?

what about a softmodded one? any chance of restarting it with the xbox dashboard first or something?

With a softmod, you can easily turn the mod off, then log into LIVE fine, but the same rule applies for the hdd, once it's done before registering on live you'll be grand, but if you change hard disc after you have already been live active on the xbox, you'll get banned, even if the mod is turned off.

• Advertisement

turn the mod off? you can't turn a softmod off. maybe you mean launch the microsoft dashboard insteqad of the mod one. The question would be like: since the file structure has changed, will xbox live notice that or i'll be fine? never used xbox live before and the HD is locked and so.

juanjo wrote:
    turn the mod off? you can't turn a softmod off. maybe you mean launch the microsoft dashboard insteqad of the mod one. The question would be like: since the file structure has changed, will xbox live notice that or i'll be fine? never used xbox live before and the HD is locked and so.

Yes, you can turn the mod off, and no, you wont get banned, xbox live cant see the mod, if the mod is off. It makes a shadow C, so xbox live cannot view the modified files.

Advertisement