Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography (H)

Options
  • 09-06-2006 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭

Is anyone else dreading this? Hopefully it will be easy to bluff through. Im hoping for something on rocks, west of ire, mezzogiorno and india, and a desert climate question thingy for the biome (god i hate them!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Yeh, wouldn't mind that kinda stuff popping up.. I'm doing Global interdependance for the option.. Hope it goes easy enough..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I'm starting to have Significant Relevant Nightmares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

willowmegs wrote:
    Hopefully it will be easy to bluff through. Im hoping for something on rocks, west of ire, mezzogiorno and india, and a desert climate question thingy for the biome (god i hate them!)
    Yeah same with myself just hope they will go easy this year cos no1 has a clue wats goin on. biomes :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

im so fooked for this exam. took it up this year, didnt go to any of the classes. i still havent bought the papers for gods sake.
    and its on at the worst possible time too. wedged between maths and french and bio, ewh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

I'm looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 JohnPH

jimi_t wrote:
    I'm starting to have Significant Relevant Nightmares

lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

lol, 30 SRNs a night? The paper should be very similar to the sample paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭michelle_ie

yeah dreading this! repeatin so its a new course....

to all those hoping ireland,mezzigiorno and india come up= they will all be there, im bettin u will be asked a contrasting region aka ireland, and then a european country then a non european country- so no all 3!

im guessin language or religion in the culture and identity one

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

im guessin language or religion in the culture and identity one

Our teacher never did that with us :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

yeah i am..ive been getting As in geo all year...but then i FAILED the mock..so im ****ting it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

yeah i am..ive been getting As in geo all year...but then i FAILED the mock..so im ****ting it
    Im the opposite of you,I failed every geography test I've had until the mocks(I think my teacher hates me?) And then in the mocks I got 68,4 % off the genius of the class and one of 3 to pass.(My class are pretty stupid,and it was a **** paper it was nothign like the sample one,we got some crazy alternative paper)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I got 73% in t3h mocks :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Muiriosa

heard on the radio tonight that this exam won't be too far removed from the sample paper, the likeliness is that there will be a few topics from the sample in the actual so cover it this weekend!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

If you revise Desert Biomes, Deforestation, Globalisation and Global Interdependence for the essays, youll be covered. For the regional, you should look over Scania, East & West of Ireland, Mezzorgiorno and India. Thats what Im doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Don't depend on bullshítting either, they changed the course so you specifically wouldn't be able to do the BS thing. It's all points & concise info now, not rambling essays

I'm hoping on language/religion for culture & identity too

• Registered Users Posts: 30 joema

If doing global interdependence just learn global warming and deforestation - I would be VERY surprised if one of them didnt come up

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Bubba

Archimedes wrote:
    If you revise Desert Biomes, Deforestation, Globalisation and Global Interdependence for the essays, youll be covered. For the regional, you should look over Scania, East & West of Ireland, Mezzorgiorno and India. Thats what Im doing...

Whats desert biomes??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Its basically how desertification occurs i.e. how deserts are formed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

I haven't got much time for geography at all this weekend with hons maths monday morning... Guess I'll have to try and do a bit though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

Yeah exact same thing happened me! I couldn't believe i failed it!

Please please let something on the rock cycle come up!
    And religion/lanuguage as a cultural indicator for the last big essay, if that doesnt come up I'm flucked!
    Have the usual studyed: BMW+SE Ireland, Mezzogiorno, India, Paris Basin, now lets just hope I can understand the bloody question, AAAHHH!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

the whole thing with Significent Relevent Points.. anyone wanna sum it up for me in a few sentences??

i have only vague memories of hearing it explained...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Assmaster_Kronk

these biomes will be the death of me..........

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

i'm only doing 1 biome for geography, all i have time for, came up in my pre too. most of my year are ****ed otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭eamoss

Rockerette wrote:
    the whole thing with Significent Relevent Points.. anyone wanna sum it up for me in a few sentences??

i have only vague memories of hearing it explained...
    Yeah me 2 cant really remember it. I must have zoned out when he started talkin and I know i wasnt the only one.

I wonder wat the class avg will be in our class :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

just to be optimistic, i'll go 41% :D

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭River Allow

I got 75% in the mocks and only got half of geoecology question done cos I ran out of time so I'd be hoping for a high B ar even dare I say it an A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

An SRP would be "Hydraulic action is a process used in creating a waterfall" 2 marks
    or
    "Monsoons have a major impact on Indian agriculture" 2 marks.

Every "point" you state gets you 2 marks,check the marking scheme on examinations.ie.For a 30mark question,you would need 12-15 SRPs to be safe

I too am going for a B in geography,as my teacher was retarded and useless for help with the project and I think thats ruined all hope of my A. That and I'm pathetic at the culture and identity question."Bluffing" isnt my strong point so its a weak question for me.Regional geography will hopefully be 80/80 and same with the economic elective as they would be by far my strongest sections(Not including short questions of course)

I have a major problem with time in the exam :( In the mocks I didn't get finished. I aim to have the short questions done in 10mintues max,to get the extra time for other questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭roberta c

i got an e in the mocks! completely screwed! but still, left an entire q cause i ran out o time... so if i sort out the timing it could be ok....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

DonaldDuck wrote:
    An SRP would be "Hydraulic action is a process used in creating a waterfall" 2 marks
    or
    "Monsoons have a major impact on Indian agriculture" 2 marks.

Every "point" you state gets you 2 marks,check the marking scheme on examinations.ie.For a 30mark question,you would need 12-15 SRPs to be safe

What you have to take into consideration is that out of those 30 marks about 5mks are going for overall cohesion - i.e. how well do the points sit together in paragraphs, are they linked well together (i.e. you're not just putting down bullet points instead of an "essay" :D )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

jimi_t wrote:
    What you have to take into consideration is that out of those 30 marks about 5mks are going for overall cohesion - i.e. how well do the points sit together in paragraphs, are they linked well together (i.e. you're not just putting down bullet points instead of an "essay" :D )
    That's where I'm going to lose most of my marks. I'm useless at that.

Advertisement