Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography notes..

Options
  • 09-06-2006 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭

Just realised today that Geography is on Monday.. I need to do well in this, but amn't 100% what's gonna be on the exam..

Does anybody know where to get good notes on what's expected to be there etc? Even just some general help..

Skoool.ie is good, but all the stuff there seems kinda dated (were talking about the field study and it was in future tense.. 'The date for the completion of the Geographical Investigation has yet to be set but it will probably be between January and April of 6th Year.')

Cheers for any help!

BTW: I'm doing higher level..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

I'm really worried about this too and our teacher has picked the biggest balls of a course for us to try and learn :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭willowmegs

Im worried too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Yeh, it's 100% new by the sounds of it.. And it's not like maths/physics etc, where there's a bit of a limit to what they can change.. There's so much in Geography!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/gettingitright/geography_roadshow2006.pdf

Sample answers. Sample paper should be a lot like real thing.

nedward wrote:
    http://www.rte.ie/radio1/gettingitright/geography_roadshow2006.pdf

Sample answers. Sample paper should be a lot like real thing.

I'm praying it's almost identical - no chance I guess :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

It'll be very very very similar (well it SHOULD be) as that's all we have to go off, no past papers or anything

Funkstard wrote:
    It'll be very very very similar (well it SHOULD be) as that's all we have to go off, no past papers or anything

But the Biology one's were quite different years ago between the sample and actual paper :(

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Rob30888 wrote:
    But the Biology one's were quite different years ago between the sample and actual paper :(

Stop it. It's gonna be the same.

*crosses fingers*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

Rob30888 wrote:
    The large variation in case studies means the geography paper won't be as changable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Look, it should boil down to this:

Question 1 - Physical

One question on rocks
    One question on landforms
    One question on plate movement

Question 2 - Regional

Part A of any given question will be a sketch map/Ireland
    Part B - Ireland/European
    Part C - Non European

Question 4 - Human Elective

Eh..haven't studied this one yet! If memory serves me there'll be OS skills required in this question anyway

Culture & Identity

Relgion/Language as a cultural indicator

Titles similar to those on the sample paper, which were:

Difference between Race/Ethnicity

Someting about the Nation state

Stuff like that..I forget the rest of the titles

If you know 2 of the physical questions you'll be fine, for regional I'm thinking of what questions they could ask on each region and preparing it from that, for the human I'm going to look over the sample papers posted above and get my head around it, for the option I'm just learning the essays I've already done.

For the short questions, know the appearance of landforms and various effects eg. features in a glaciated valley, limestone areas, all of the river/glacial/mass movement landforms (just be able to recognise them) and whatever else, a soung overall knowledge will get you through here.

If you just look at the sample papers and see what kind of questions they asked, even learn off the answers to them because a few of them are bound to pop up again somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Nerd007

Paris Basin, Mezzigiornio and India are good to study cos you can use them all over the place as case studies and comparisons!

Case Studies are a HUGE thing! You need to have examples for everything!!! And about 9-12 SRP's for each essay - probably more for the Global Interdependence or whatever you study!

Does anyone know how simple/complex the SRP's have to be? The ones on the RTE website one look far too basic :confused:

Also, do you reckon they could ask a specific question on secondary/tertiary activties in a region? I reckon it's too difficult, especially for the first year. Primary/Physical far more likely, I hope...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Pez

omg case studies as loads of examples??:eek:
    plz help me! what case studies??? what kind of Q requires case studies? and can u pllzzz give examples of case studies for different things? plz my teacher didnt teach us the course! she didnt even no where new york was! she sed it was on the west of US beside LA:rolleyes: and thats no joke. helllpp :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 chairs

Pez wrote:
    omg case studies as loads of examples??:eek:
    plz help me! what case studies??? what kind of Q requires case studies? and can u pllzzz give examples of case studies for different things? plz my teacher didnt teach us the course! she didnt even no where new york was! she sed it was on the west of US beside LA:rolleyes: and thats no joke. helllpp :confused:

Madness, sure get this, a guy in my class couldn't even recognise Spain on a map! I could not believe it, he must have been purposefully trying to avoid knowing something like that.

geography's a bit of a mess, fieldwork was back and forth with what they were looking for (bullet points wanted, bullet points not allowed etc). im just hoping the written paper is similar to the sample and that they cant mark it too hard seeing as they were so unclear on what they wanted.

Advertisement