Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Net neutrality

Options
  • 09-06-2006 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

I'm sure a lot of you have already heard about this:
    "The U.S. House of Representatives definitively rejected the concept of Net neutrality on Thursday, dealing a bitter blow to Internet companies like Amazon.com, eBay and Google that had engaged in a last-minute lobbying campaign to support it."
    source: House rejects Net neutrality rules (CNet News.com)

I thought it might be interesting to ask if anyone had any thoughts on if or how this could affect us in Ireland (or indeed in other non-US countries).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm not sure if this is really applicable to IOFFL, maybe Nets/Comms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

seamus wrote:
    I'm not sure if this is really applicable to IOFFL, maybe Nets/Comms

Why not?

If phone companies get away with double charging for providing internet access in the US why not here? e.g. google.com probably pay the best part of $500 to $1,000 million to their ISPs for connectivity at the moment, globally.

Google.com users pay billions for internet access to google and every other site they visit.

This bastard initiative will allow the same phone companies who already get all this money from google and you and me to effectively impose a "relationship fee" on top. i.e. if google wants Probe to use certain features available on google.com google must pay an extra fee every time he does so.

No doubt it has already been discussed in the eircom and B+B boardrooms, under the "icing on the cake" agenda heading.

Reason number 899,222,123 for wide-spread preiswert loop unbundling to be imposed on eircom as a matter of urgency.

probe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I'd be more than happy to pay twice as much here as I would for the same service level in the USA. I could get then get a better service for a fraction of the cost,

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

The irish infrastructure is quite bad.Id be worried that prices will go up but the quality will remain the same.
    Will net neutrality affect how we view american hosted sites?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

FSL wrote:
    I'd be more than happy to pay twice as much here as I would for the same service level in the USA. I could get then get a better service for a fraction of the cost,

Us broadband is in the same state as ours only a little better. The Dutch are the closest working model for broadband.

The only way to get broadband working in this country is to put money where it belongs infastructure and proper cable/fibre.

The irish infrastructure is quite bad.Id be worried that prices will go up but the quality will remain the same.
    Will net neutrality affect how we view american hosted sites?

The servers will move to wherever the laws are thinner on the ground.

• Advertisement
Advertisement