Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live World Cup on BBC Online: Bitrate?

• 09-06-2006 3:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭

With BBC showing live World Cup footy online, does anyone know if there is some way of getting it here? I think I heard it's only for UK users?

Also, will the video be the same 32K dialup quality that they have for their news video clips? I'd imagine football would be unwatchable on that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

plazzTT wrote:
    With BBC showing live World Cup footy online, does anyone know if there is some way of getting it here? I think I heard it's only for UK users?

Also, will the video be the same 32K dialup quality that they have for their news video clips? I'd imagine football would be unwatchable on that.

This is just a **** exercise from the Backstreet Broadcasting Company! They don't have the kit in place to meet demand. Totally futile.

I was watching football in France last weekend via a DSL line. An 8 Mbits/sec chunk of bandwidth dedicated to the TV using an MPEG4 codec. Giving a perfect HD picture. With an infinitely scalable platform so that it doesn't matter how many people "tune in". The only way to do it via broadband!

http://www.agence.francetelecom.com

probe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Er.. 8Mbps will only allow 4 ordinary channels at the same or one HD at poor quality compared with satellite.

Nothing is "infinitly scalable".

Satellite MPEG4 is using much higher quality and Millions of people can wathc thousands of different channels at the same time. Not possible on Broadband.

BBC limit viewing IP address. Some people on what was NTL's Cable Broadband in Dublin (now UPC) have still got UK based IP addresses so can watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

We're sorry. The content you requested is available for UK users only.

My IP is NOT UK based :)

Regular Sport that I can watch is apparently 80Kbps (About 3x what typical Irish dialup can really do). The BBC site says the player will be switched to a High Quality setting. Then it is blocked by IP filtering.

So perhaps about DVBh quality? DVB-h can do up to 500k, which even on a 10" screen would not be bad at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

watty wrote:
    Er.. 8Mbps will only allow 4 ordinary channels at the same or one HD at poor quality compared with satellite.

Nothing is "infinitly scalable".

Satellite MPEG4 is using much higher quality and Millions of people can wathc thousands of different channels at the same time. Not possible on Broadband.

8 Mbits/sec using MPEG4 = about 20 Mbits/sec using older MPEG codecs – i.e. = nearly 100 Mbits/sec out of the HD camera.

You can get over 100 TV channels from most (loop unbundled) DSL ISPs in France. And you can use your broadband internet connection and VoIP phone at the same time as someone else in the household watches TV.

Using this technology, only one TV signal at a time is streamed from the DSLAM to the customer. If your DSL service runs at 24 Mbits/sec, 8 Mbits/sec is reserved for HDTV carrying whatever channel you select to view only. The other 16 Mbits/sec capacity remains available for internet, VoIP etc.

It is infinitely scalable because you only have to bring one copy of the TV stream for each channel to the DSLAM and can connect everyone who subscribes to that service to same.

While the limitations of satellite HDTV bandwidth aren’t with us at the moment, if you have enough HDTV channels you can exhaust the available radio spectrum. You can run an infinite number of fibre strands, transporting gzillions of bits of MPEG4 feed into your DSLAM for your subscribers to choose from!

probe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

watty wrote:
    My IP is NOT UK based :)

Regular Sport that I can watch is apparently 80Kbps (About 3x what typical Irish dialup can really do). The BBC site says the player will be switched to a High Quality setting. Then it is blocked by IP filtering.

So perhaps about DVBh quality? DVB-h can do up to 500k, which even on a 10" screen would not be bad at all.
    proxy but wouldn't that not be a laggfest lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

My IP must have changed as about a month ago i couldnt access bbc uk only content online but now I can.

I checked online and my ip falls in a UK ip range now. The live stream of the games is not too bad in a window... well watchable

Advertisement