Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Stylish Game Ever?

Options
  • 09-06-2006 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

Style and sense of place is a thing that matters a huge amount to me in all games, not just in RPGs, especially now with the transition to cinematic techniques and greatly improved graphics rendering capabilties.
    I think the FMV in Final Fantasy VII was a defining moment for me, followed by the FMV and general style of the MGS games - especially the opening sequence of MGS2 with the leap from the bridge onto the barge, rumblepak going all the way :)

Now I've always *always* searched for a gritty, low budget feeling horror game - Resident evil was good at what it did but was mildly brainless - that was complimented with a truely outstanding soundtrack (GTA San Andreas probably holds that crown but the sense of atmosphere was negligible, especially considering it was user decided). The best example I can think of was the soundtrack to WipeOut 2097 which was way ahead of its time.

However, I just saw the trailer to a game called Rule of Rose - maybe I'm way behind the rest of you but I've just heard about it. The music... the cinematography... My GOD - this is genuinely the only trailer that has every raised goosebumps... Watch it !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmdjhnXN12Q&search=rule%20of%20rose

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

That looks creepy.

You should check out the Silent Hill games. More along those lines, and about a thousand times scarier than the RE games.

Killer 7 is very stylish, in a different way. A very bizarre way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Horror games aren't really my thing but I think in terms of atmosphere Silent Hill is generally considered the top of the pile.

In other genres though, Shadow of the Colossus is probably the best marriage of atmosphere, cinematic direction, music, tension that's ever graced a games console.

The Broken Sword games come to mind for their incredible cinematic soundtrack too, I've always enjoyed them a lot.

Fahrenheit is another, it's really pushed the idea of an interactive movie forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah I agree with the Silent Hill games. And sort of along the same lines, Call Of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth, has a great style to it. Granted, it may be because the graphics aren't state of the art, but they do seem really grainy, especially at the start of the game. And it makes great use of light and dark, which really drives home the paranoia. Add to this some amazing set pieces
    escaping the hotel for example
    and it all adds up to a neat little package.

And I think the original Max Payne really captured the whole comic book/film noir feel that it was going for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

jomanji wrote:
    And I think the original Max Payne really captured the whole comic book/film noir feel that it was going for.

Thats another thing - what a lack of Noir games! It's not like the general genre (gangster movies and the ilk) aren't videogame fodder, or that it's unattainable graphically... It just hasn't been pulled off properly yet, especially in relation to voice acting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i'll probably get tarred with the "fanboy" brush here, but half life 2 had such a great style and uniqueness (imo). from the first moment you really feel like this is a living, breathing world you're in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

EDIT: yay for double post

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

Looks like 'Rule of the Rose' will not be released in the US due to 'underage eroticism' concerns : http://www.digg.com/gaming/Sony_pulls_the_plug_on_video_game_due_to_underage_eroticism_

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Viewtiful Joe has a stupid, fantastically exciting comic book feel to it. Aside from just looking lovely, little touches like the increasingly raucous cheering during a long, impressive combo and the little cry of "my hero!" at the end of it make learning the levels inside out and showing off that much more fun. Clover's next game, Okami, looks like it's going to be absolutely gorgeous.

And We Love Katamari. Brings a smile to my face through its ridiculius amount of charm. You can tell the developers love Katamari too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

God Of War has a fantastic look and feel to it. Not sure about the most stylish ever, that question would need a fair bit of thinking.

bambam wrote:
    Looks like 'Rule of the Rose' will not be released in the US due to 'underage eroticism' concerns : http://www.digg.com/gaming/Sony_pulls_the_plug_on_video_game_due_to_underage_eroticism_

Atlas seem to be publishing it regardless. It's really just to do with the wildy conservative political climate in the United States - Sony (a japanese company to begin with) published it in Japan with a 15s ESRB (or whatever its called in the east) rating, yet refuse to do it in the States for fear of provoking a witch hunt. Think of the ridculousness of the "hot coffee" patch in GTA witchhunt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

My vote is for Okami too. Looks kinda like you're playing a painting, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Surely Rez or Darwinia have the award for "most stylish game". But are we just talking about "slickest FMV"?

ObeyGiant wrote:
    Surely Rez or Darwinia have the award for "most stylish game". But are we just talking about "slickest FMV"?

No - it's about creating a good sense of atmosphere, a sense of time and place, good soundtrack, personifying the characters outside of an RPG context... i.e.What I'm getting at are games with a strong narrative structure set in a plausible(ish) world...

Hope I'm making sense ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Clover's next game, Okami, looks like it's going to be absolutely gorgeous.
    Apprently its being doing awful regarding sales :(

Still, superb looking game and the artwork makes me weep.

Viewtiful Joe ftw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

Max Payne or omrikon

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

heggie wrote:
    Max Payne or omrikon
    Max Payne for me. Just because of the way his coat flapped as he dived across the room firing dual uzis in slow motion - and the comic/film noir feel to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Jet Set Radio for the win!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

XIII anyone?

Not great game by any means but very stylishly done...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

XIII anyone?

Not great game by any means but very stylishly done...
    Ill second that... i only had it for a lend on the GC and i enjoyed it a lot. Very pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yes, XIII was veeery stylish. Pretty standard FPS but visually it was very nicely done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ah it was fun up until about the snow level.

ICO looks the business. suprised it hasnt been mentioned. Killer 7 and viewtiful joe as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Would be between jet set radio and the original devil may cry (especially for its time.)

weemcd wrote:
    ...the original devil may cry (especially for its time.)

Definitely - beautiful, beautiful game and really amazing gameplay, especially the first time you do the slowmo jump with both revolvers blasting away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Clank

Jet Set Radio for the win!

Hells yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

I would say the most stylish games ive played are Jet set radio, Zelda windwaker, XIII, Viewtiful joe and ICO. Especially ico, that game is so atmospheric and artistic and you can sometimes lose yourself in its unique art direction and style. Beautiful game.

Advertisement