Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preview Maths (H) Paper 2

Options
  • 09-06-2006 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

What do u think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

I think I need to do better on this one than on Paper 1.

Apparently the first option almost everyone does. My teacher was telling us about two of the other option questions, last year three people did one of them and there was another that literally no-one did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Can anyone predict the proofs? I have to learn them.
    I want like 100% in this paper because I messed paper 1 up....highly unlikely really! I was expecting an A1 but I'd say Ill get about a B1 now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I'd expect a few proofs on paper 2 since there was only 1 on paper 1. The Cosine rule and cos(a-b) proof, learn them. I can't think of anything in Q1., Q2, Q3...look over 1-3 of the linear transformations, but since no.4 came up last year I wouldn't pay too much attention to them.

If you're doing the further calculus optiom, learn the proof for the MacLaurin series...there's a few more too which I can't think of.

Yeh about the options, the further geometry one wasn't done by one person last year. 95% of people do the first option. The other ones are insane. The first option is one of the easiest questions on either paper IMO. Having said that I bet you I'll screw it up on Monday :p

Funkstard wrote:
    I'd expect a few proofs on paper 2 since there was only 1 on paper 1. The Cosine rule and cos(a-b) proof, learn them. I can't think of anything in Q1., Q2, Q3...look over 1-3 of the linear transformations, but since no.4 came up last year I wouldn't pay too much attention to them.

If you're doing the further calculus optiom, learn the proof for the MacLaurin series...there's a few more too which I can't think of.

Yeh about the options, the further geometry one wasn't done by one person last year. 95% of people do the first option. The other ones are insane. The first option is one of the easiest questions on either paper IMO. Having said that I bet you I'll screw it up on Monday :p

There's a proof for the macLaurin series??? That doesn't sound nice...
    And I better not screw up or I'll hold you responsible for jinxing me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

There is no proof for the Maclaurin Series. You have to be able to derive it for a given function( like f(x)=sin x )
    Watch the Circle question and the parametric equations of a line
    And the proof for the Difference Equation Theroem-that q has been so predictable for the last few years.
    Paper One was slightly on the easy side- especially compared with last yr so watch out for paper 2

• Advertisement

There is no proof for the Maclaurin Series. You have to be able to derive it for a given function( like f(x)=sin x )
    Watch the Circle question and the parametric equations of a line
    And the proof for the Difference Equation Theroem-that q has been so predictable for the last few years.
    Paper One was slightly on the easy side- especially compared with last yr so watch out for paper 2

I thought last year's paper was easier...my nerves got the better of me, I think that I really freaked out yesterday, I spent half an hour staring desperately at question 1a for christ's sake! I got down to the end of it and I realise now that I kept adding the x instead of taking it away! Talk about a stupid mistake ruining my leaving cert...I'm going to be calm on Monday!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I though last year was a doddle compared to this year! This year messed me up, maybe it was the nerves. If Paper 2 is gonna be hard, I think I'll just give up on everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭belinea06

not many thought p1 was easy.. hope p2 isnt as hard as u tink..else im fcuked and have to repeat. any other banker parts to qs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

im an o.l student but was listening to teh 2fm review of paper 2. the teacher said that everything this year that the chief examiner noted as problems in his 2005 report turned up on paper one. so look at the chief examiners report for paper 2. www.examinations.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I don't care what anyone says, Paper 1 was harder than usual and I will be well unhappy if Paper 2 is the same, I really need a good one.

I'm somewhat worried about probability. I think I've been lulled into a false sense of security, and a difficult question will most likely destroy my confidence. Other than that, I'm looking forward to trig and Q8, they usually have a few challenging but achievable questions, and vectors is a joke. But if anything goes wrong and I'm forced to rely on the Circle.....:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

im expectin the difference equation proof and the angle between the lines one..hasnt come up for years

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I screwed up paper 1 so I need to do well on paper 2. I wouldn't mind I got 51% on paper 1 in the mock without a q and it was a harder paper. I don't know what happened to me. I just want to pass it now. My hopes of a C are gone :mad: and last year I was annoyed when I didn't get an A in my summer test. I know it was only a summer test but still. The only difference between this year and last year is the teacher that I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

I'm glad I'm effectively sidestepping the Trig questions. Some love for probability and statistics needed.

Also, I guess i'll be one of the few people doing Q9 Option (Further Discrete Mathematics I think). Fully one half of my paper 2 will be probability and statistics stuff with some crossover between the questions. I'm actually kind of looking forward to paper 2. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

Yeah, i'm pretty poor at paper two while paper one would have been my strong point, but I didn't do that well in Paper 1 so it's a long weekend with the books for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Paper 1 was lovely compared to last year's one, I would have been down in C or low B territory on last years one but I'm confident enough for an A2 on this year's.

I'm just about to start into all those horrible proofs of paper 2.... Luckily I was still in maths classes untill a week ago so most of it is still fresh in my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 piggy

fatal wrote:
    im expectin the difference equation proof and the angle between the lines one..hasnt come up for years

What question does the difference equation proof come up in? One of the probability ones is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

paper 1 last year was well handier than this years. i was up to a1 territory but after this years paper 1 im hoping for a b. feckin paper 1... paper 2 better not be as "lovely" as this years paper 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anna.fun

My maths teacher said that binominal series is likely to come up this year on question 8... but don't know... I'm not going to bother answering the line, too many proofs if they come up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

anna.fun wrote:
    My maths teacher said that binominal series is likely to come up this year on question 8... but don't know... I'm not going to bother answering the line, too many proofs if they come up...

what's the binomial series?

I presume he means the MacLaurin series

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ladyspud

I think there's a binomial thingy to prove under McLaurin Series......? I saw it in the less stress more success book i think!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

He means the maclaurin series for a binomial. ie the maclaurin series for a bracket to a power. (there was one on my mock paper)

Enill Nick; is the Q9 option any easier than the Q8 one 95% of the country does

/\ It's probability...I wouldn't touch it anyway. I'm not touching probability at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

No q8 is supposed to be easiest. Last year 4 people did question 11!

NADA wrote:
    No q8 is supposed to be easiest. Last year 4 people did question 11!

Yeah question 8 is one of the easiest! I hope we get a cylinder question and I hope the maclaurin series isn't too long!

Advertisement