Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotten Apples

Options
  • 09-06-2006 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭

Games that almost ruined an othwerwise perfectly good series.

Hitman Contracts

F1 2000

Tekken Tag

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Tekken Tag was great. Tekken 4 was the disaster.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Regarding F1 2000, F1 98 was one of the worst series games ever, it followed what is still one of the best F1 games ever F1 97 and I was assured by a Sony rep it would be great and when it appeared it stank like an old nappy, and on the PSone Need For Speed 2 nearly sank the franchise, it was truely awful.
    Lets not forget Driv3r and WingCommander 4, the latter of which did kill the series, and WingCommander 3 was so good, especially if you had a 3DO!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Driver 2 and Driver 3. Driver 4 is at least restoring a bit of glory to the series.

Tomb Raider: Angel Of Darkness. Terrible game.

Perfect Dark Zero. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were both great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

fifa 2003 destroyed fifa as it went downhill after 2002.
    fifa 2003 was possibly the worst football game I have ever played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i wasn't all that taken with Metroid Prime: Hunters
    it just felt a little... "meh"
    guess i was just expecting an engrossing 20 hour+ adventure in the style of Metroid Prime...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Halo2, and metal gear solid three was pants compared to one and two. - but still worth a play (ONCE)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Resident Evil 3 ... the words "horse", "dead" and "flog" come to mind .. thank God for Resi 4

And any of the Sims Expansions (all 6 million of them). It gives me a pain in my left testical to think how much money EA made with them off of poor non-gamer eejjits. Example of an intersting game, well designed and executed, just been ruined by money grabbing marketting suits ... Sims Rectal Exam Expansion anyone?

Wicknight wrote:
    Resident Evil 3 ... the words "horse", "dead" and "flog" come to mind .. thank God for Resi 4
    i actually enjoyed Resi3 quite a lot
    a hell of a lot more than code veronica, anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

I have to agree with Tman, Code Veronica was the poorest of the main Resi's i thought, though none really compare to any of the Resi Survivor games or the Outbreak games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Probably gonna get well and truely flamed but San Andreas. Not sure why all the things that made the others good were there, but it felt very lacking. I played the others nearly to completion and haven't even gotten to the 2nd city in san andreas. Just ruined the rep of III and vice city imho.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Doom 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

UT2003, imo anyway. The new engine was novel, but the gameplay was lacking a lot when compared to UT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Fibbers Games

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Regarding F1 2000, F1 98 was one of the worst series games ever,

Thats actually the one I meant I think. The one where the car looks all bent going around the corner?

4Xcut wrote:
    Probably gonna get well and truely flamed but San Andreas. Not sure why all the things that made the others good were there, but it felt very lacking. I played the others nearly to completion and haven't even gotten to the 2nd city in san andreas. Just ruined the rep of III and vice city imho.
    i'm definitely with you on that one.
    i got onto the third city but never really felt compelled to finish it. (compared to finishing vice city 100% from scratch twice:p )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

4Xcut wrote:

You have my vote, its not that it was bad it just didnt do anything different from the last one. Ruined the whole concept for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Revelation Joe

Lemlin wrote:
    Driver 2 and Driver 3. Driver 4 is at least restoring a bit of glory to the series.

I enjoyed Driver 2
    Verily Driv3r did stinketh most heinously :(
    As for Parallel Lines, it's pretty good but I'm still not happy with the aiming/targeting system

Del

I enjoyed Driver 2
    Verily Driv3r did stinketh most heinously :(
    As for Parallel Lines, it's pretty good but I'm still not happy with the aiming/targeting system

Del

Driver 2 was where it all started going downhill. It was released too early and could of done with at least another few months development. Alas, it sold by the bucketload on the back of the reputation of the first game and Reflections thought that they'd get away with releasing a shoddy product again with Driv3r.

Rainbow Six Lockdown is another very poor game in a series. I didn't like the way they dumbed the game down at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

All moh other than mohaa.

kdjac

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Regarding F1 2000, F1 98 was one of the worst series games ever, it followed what is still one of the best F1 games ever F1 97 and I was assured by a Sony rep it would be great and when it appeared it stank like an old nappy,

Yes, have to agree, F1 97 was absolutely brilliant. But, as you say, whatever they had in 97 they totally lost in F1 98. Diabolical.

KdjaC wrote:
    All moh other than mohaa.

kdjac

The original Medal Of Honour and Medal Of Honour on the PlayStation were very good. It was when the entire team fecked off to develop Call Of Duty that the game went downhill.

Medal Of Honour: Rising Sun..... just the thought of it makes me shudder.

Championship Manager is another series that has gone to feck since the developers, Sports Interactive, fell out with Eidos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Lemlin wrote:
    The original Medal Of Honour and Medal Of Honour on the PlayStation were very good. It was when the entire team fecked off to develop Call Of Duty that the game went downhill.

Medal Of Honour: Rising Sun..... just the thought of it makes me shudder.

Championship Manager is another series that has gone to feck since the developers, Sports Interactive, fell out with Eidos.

Yeh but SI still continue the series under the title "Football Manager",

Still as great as ever, avoid the CM series like the plague now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

metal gear solid three was pants compared to one and two. - but still worth a play (ONCE)

can't agree with you here. MGS 3 was miles better then 2 Both gameplay and story made excellent improvements and its the only one of the 3 to get a proper reimagining in substence (MGS 3 Substance, new camera, MG 1 and 2 and multiplayer!)

Twin Snakes is the rotten apple of the MGS series, a great game redone in the worse possible way.

i actually enjoyed Resi3 quite a lot
    a hell of a lot more than code veronica, anyway...

i thought both resi 3 and veronica were good, it went wrong with survivor and outbreak.

The sonic series has been going downhill since Sonic adventure 2, but its decline goes back further with the aweful sonic 3d and chaotix.

Blue shift is the weakest of the half life series.

command and conquer generals (saved by zero hour.)

WellyJ wrote:
    Yeh but SI still continue the series under the title "Football Manager",

Still as great as ever, avoid the CM series like the plague now.

I'm well aware of that but it still seems a great pity to see the great name of CM gone down the plughole.

Football Manager is a class act though. I'm espeially enjoying the PSP version on the bus at the moment:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Star Wars Rebel Strike on the GC, Rogue Squadron series had been a good one til then and, frankly, how they could have released a game as broken as this is unbelievable, the on foot sections were more like some early demo, god only knows if the series can, or should, be revived.
    With y'all on Medal of Honor Rising Sun, after Frontline was actually good fun they made the worst type of crap, of course by then Brothers In Arms and Call of Duty had shown us the way to true WW2 gaming happiness!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Empire Earth 2 - The first empire earth was miles better and the second one looks kack with the 3d graphics.

Vietcong 2 - i was so disapointed with this game after enjoying the original so much.

Resident Evil Code Veronica & Outbreak - All the main resident evils were good, just that Code Veronica was the poorest of them and im not saying code veronica was bad, i actually enjoyed playing it but i enjoyed the others more. Outbreak was a brilliant idea just very poorly executed.

Command & Conquer Generals - i just didnt like this game one bit, it felt like playing a completely different game altogether than a command and conquer game.

Devil may cry 2 - nothing compared to the original and 3.

Hitman Contracts - as the OP already said this game, yes this is the worst of the hitman series, you dont feel like a hitman, just some guy who has flashbacks as missions.

Might & Magic 9 - If any of you are fans of the series like myself then you know you would have been disapointed of what would have been the first 3d version of a might and magic game. lets just hope dark messiah is a good comeback game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

twisted metal black, loved the first 2 but this one annoyed me
    all the tomb raiders apart from tomb raider 1
    code veronica
    doom 3

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Suikoden 4 was awful stuff altogether. Thankfully Suikoden 5 is meant to be a return to form.

Sparkster the sequel to Rocket Knight Adventures was very meh.

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance took the excellent FF Tactics name, dumbed it down and made it boring. Final Fantasy has a few duff games, FF2 was awful FF8 was comercial piss but not terrible. FFX2 however is a sham of a game. Dirge of Cerberus supposedly rapes the FF name as well.

Xenosaga was a pretentious and boring prequel to the fantastic Xenogears.

Wasnt all that fond of Medal of Honour Frontline. Two excellent opening levels and then boring corridor shooting.

Castlevania 64 was a little naff but nowhere near as bad as it has been labelled in some circles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Super Mario Sunshine was so far off the mark compared to the main Super Mario series, and worse still - it was over-rated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Escape from Monkey Island. - Granted the third one wasn't as good as the first two, but it had charm and funny voice acting. This was shieeeite. Never should have been made. A black mark on the series.

Sonic 3D - I still can't believe I played through it several times. Utter garbage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Sonic 3D - I still can't believe I played through it several times. Utter garbage.

Ruined the series altogether, although I wasn't a fan of Sonic vs. Knuckles either!!!!

Advertisement