Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing for French?

Options
  • 09-06-2006 6:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭

How are you all preparing for french. What do ya learn. I'm at a loss at what to do apart from learning some grammar and listening to the tapes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭Faerie

Vocab for the written section and format of the formal letters. I'm praying for a letter and a compensez vous on the riots, bird flu or drugs/alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Just learning loads of useful phrases worth adapting to any question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Daddio wrote:
    Just learning loads of useful phrases worth adapting to any question.

Times two. But probably less phrases.

Heh heh. :D

Good idea on the topical instances though, anyne got any useful phrases about the france riots et all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

ahahaaa

preapring for french

ahahhaaaa.

i wish i cared.. :eek:

i really should

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Verbs and tenses aswell. I might get up a bit earlier that day than normal and goin through a comprehension or two, just to get myself into a "French mindset" as my teacher would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

hmm which french riots? theres been a few recently.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

absolutely nothing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

damn you being fluent at french..............im so jealous right now.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

Would you care to divulge any useful phrases over the coming days???

Help the serfs like...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭deisedolly

I never learnt any vocab about the riots! But I'm thinking they are hardly going to ask an opinion piece about them, surely that would be too difficult?? maybe it could appear in the comprehensions alright but jaysus anything could appear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭disney

abercromie u fluent in french?
    how.....................?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    what u think will show?

disney wrote:
    abercromie u fluent in french?
    how.....................?????!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    what u think will show?
    my mum is french! i've no idea what will show to be honest...teachers in my school have been saying something bout homeless people..i don't think the riots will show, but i wouldn't take my word for it either!!
    Daddio wrote:
    Would you care to divulge any useful phrases over the coming days???

i have a couple of phrases in mind but i'll make a big long post later when i've time..just to help all of my LC family :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

does nobody else think that something about football will come up? like guys being obsessed with it? they could probably mix that with riots too---football riots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Sawa

Hopefully if I stick to a plan Im gonna tryn learn a few lines about:

-Accidents on the Road
    -Problems of the young (drugs alchohol, pressure etc.)
    -Obesity
    -Famine
    -Poverty (I did this for my oral for my document thing so i know a bit already about the poverty in central america!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Nerd007

Im doing Ordinary French. Just wondering if it's possible to avoid Formal Letters completely?? I know there isn't that much to them but I really dont have the time! Ok maybe being on here doesnt help!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Road accidents is too sensitive an issue to come up (after last year). However in the last 2 years frances road death rate has been reduces greatly so maybe somthenig on safety on the roads, accisent prevention.

AND A FORMAL LETTER OF COMPLAINT

SOME OPINION PHRASES

je suis entierement de votre avis - i am entirely for your opinion

Je suis tout a fait d'accord avec - i am in total agreement with

Je ne suis pas tout a fait d'accord avec - i am in total disagreement with

il me semble que + subjunctive- it appears to me that

D'après moi / À mon avis / Selon moi - in my opinion

C'est mon opinion que - it's my opinion that

Il est impossible de nier que - it is impossible to deny that

Pour ma part - as far as i'm concerned

Je pense que/ je crois que/ je trouve que - i think that

Je suis convaincu que - i'm convinced that

Je ne partage pas cette pointe de vue - I don't share this point of view

Je ne supporte pas - i can't stand

En ce qui me concerne - as far as i'm concerned

Je suis contre - i'm against

Je suis décu par - I'm disappointed by

Je condamne - i condemn

Je ne peux pas accepter - i can't accept

À vrai dire - to tell the truth

C'est à en perdre la tête - It's enough to drive you crazy

Il s'announce bien que - it looks promising that

Il se peut que + subjunctive - It may be that

on pourrait faire davantage pour - we could do more for

de sorte que + subjunctive / pour que + subjunctive - in order to

quoique + subjunctive - even though

ok these are pretty simple phrases but i'm not too sure what you guys want so just let me know and i'll help yous out :)

ah abercrombie ur such a pet!!!!!

ah abercrombie ur such a pet!!!!!
    it's the least i could do for all you poor people who have to slave away learning the language :D can't wait for the exam..it's the only A1 i know i'm gonna get :D

• Advertisement

ah i got a b2 in it last year so i know ill prob get the same this year or maybe a b1. havent done any work in it all year. my fav subject tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Actually...how do you know when to use the subjunctive? I thought I was great learning it for the oral, but then everything got muddled up and I don't know when it's right to use it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Subjunctive - It's all in your head.

http://www.gbarto.com/languages/frmoods1.html

More detail at about.com

it's the least i could do for all you poor people who have to slave away learning the language :D can't wait for the exam..it's the only A1 i know i'm gonna get :D
    Cheers AberC

<thumbs up>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

"Something that effectively takes place in the subject’s/speaker’s mind because it is either a matter of envisioning a thing not known to be true or focusing on the emotion or feeling the thing provokes rather than the fact of the thing."

Sound. That page is deadly cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

Nerd007 wrote:
    Im doing Ordinary French. Just wondering if it's possible to avoid Formal Letters completely?? I know there isn't that much to them but I really dont have the time! Ok maybe being on here doesnt help!!

of course it is!!!just do the fill in the blanks/form filling and den all u;ve got left are the postcard or notes!!!its handy!!ord french is a peace of piss!!i got a c1 last year wit no work and i said oui the whole way thru the oral!!lol

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

I thought most schools like ours just avoided the letters as they're very difficult. I've heard something on a part-time job is also likely...

flynnser19 wrote:
    of course it is!!!just do the fill in the blanks/form filling and den all u;ve got left are the postcard or notes!!!its handy!!ord french is a peace of piss!!i got a c1 last year wit no work and i said oui the whole way thru the oral!!lol

i dropped from higher about 2 months ago cos it was too much work so i should be A-ok!! well as long as i can avoid formal letters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

You should avoid letters cos theyre so restricted, you have to be able to translate whats on the paper really well. Opinion and Diary questions give you more freedom

• Advertisement

How high is the standard for Ordinary Level??? I doubt its that high?

Advertisement