Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparing for French?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RagShagBill

Nerd,

If you look at the French Ordinary level results from last year, only 0.1% of the candidates received an A1. So, it seems that either they have a very high standard, or everyone taking Ordinary level is, well, just a bit thick. You can choose whichever conclusion you prefer.

I think I'm sorted for an A or a high B in French. I've been reading some French blogs for the past 2 months and can read whole articles now without reference to a dictionary. So, the comprehensions should be grand. My problem will be the essays. I have 10 prepared, and they are, I'm certain, A standard. However, they deal primarily with pretty heavy topics; AIDS, the War on Terror, Unemployment, Racism, Drink, Drugs, Smoking, the Environment, Nuclear Power and something else which I can't remember. I'm therefore going to be thrown-off if they present us with stupid questions like Les pressions des jeunes de nos jours, Il faut avoir les amis de nos jours, oui? or la role joué par nos grand-meres. Teachers have a habit of preparing altogether worldy issues, when the test is, in actual fact, littered with ****ty questions indiqué ci-dessus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭TX123

it wud be quite funny if abercrombie didnt get an A1. shes been so cocky about how good she is at the language.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

TX123, you would be too if you were taking an english test in france. It would just be too easy.
    I had an au pair who was french for 3 years back when i was 1 and I kept up basic lessons till 1st year where i started studying it proper. Got an A in honours junior and an A2 in the mocks. If you have a basic grounding in the alnguage it's not complicated at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

obl wrote:
    TX123, you would be too if you were taking an english test in france. It would just be too easy.
    I had an au pair who was french for 3 years back when i was 1 and I kept up basic lessons till 1st year where i started studying it proper. Got an A in honours junior and an A2 in the mocks. If you have a basic grounding in the alnguage it's not complicated at all.
    your au pair spoke french to you?
    i have had au pairs for years---until i was 13 and they never spoke french to me EVER.
    the only i learnt was merde.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

ordinary level french is very easy!!!id say der is ppl who are worthy of a's in ord french but dey dont give them a's becoz it would look bad if everyone was gettin high grades!!!do u ever notice dat in the north everyone seems to get A's in their a-levels??dat piss.es me rite off!!!im the only one of my relations from the south and i look stupid compared to them coz im repeating!!!

• Advertisement

eh the A mark in your a levels in 70%+
    so its considerably easier
    i know a guy who went in stoned to his english a levels and came out with an A. bloody waster

i kno its dead snakey!!!i wish we could get a's dat easily!!

yeah but there tests are harder

spose so!!id love if we cud focus on a few subjects like dat tho!!apparently der changin the leavin to be more like the a levels tho!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

TX123 wrote:
    it wud be quite funny if abercrombie didnt get an A1. shes been so cocky about how good she is at the language.
    i'm FLUENT in the language so of course i'm good at it!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

SOME OPINION PHRASES

je suis entierement de votre avis - i am entirely for your opinion

Je suis tout a fait d'accord avec - i am in total agreement with

Je ne suis pas tout a fait d'accord avec - i am in total disagreement with

il me semble que + subjunctive- it appears to me that

D'après moi / À mon avis / Selon moi - in my opinion

C'est mon opinion que - it's my opinion that

Il est impossible de nier que - it is impossible to deny that

Pour ma part - as far as i'm concerned

Je pense que/ je crois que/ je trouve que - i think that

Je suis convaincu que - i'm convinced that

Je ne partage pas cette pointe de vue - I don't share this point of view

Je ne supporte pas - i can't stand

En ce qui me concerne - as far as i'm concerned

Je suis contre - i'm against

Je suis décu par - I'm disappointed by

Je condamne - i condemn

Je ne peux pas accepter - i can't accept

À vrai dire - to tell the truth

C'est à en perdre la tête - It's enough to drive you crazy

Il s'announce bien que - it looks promising that

Il se peut que + subjunctive - It may be that

on pourrait faire davantage pour - we could do more for

de sorte que + subjunctive / pour que + subjunctive - in order to

quoique + subjunctive - even though

ok these are pretty simple phrases but i'm not too sure what you guys want so just let me know and i'll help yous out :)

thanks a mil...i owe ya;)

Advertisement