Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

02 Fabia Comfortline Skoda Gearbox

Options
  • 09-06-2006 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭

Have it booked in for a service in a weeks time but wondering what the damage is likely to be.

Whats wrong :-
    Some times cannot put into first, is an audable clank from under the stick putting into third, and crunching feeling on the stick when its moved into pretty much any gear, no gear change is smooth.
    The car revs fast during gear changes, cannot make them smooth at all, unless you consider smooth to be rev like crazy and change gears like on a race track, smooth city driving is impossible. i've tried easing the throttle but have stalled it several times doing this and its just embarrising, it seems to be rev like a racing driver or stall..

Is this fixable (suspect not), how much is a new gear box likely to be ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Longfield wrote:
    Have it booked in for a service in a weeks time but wondering what the damage is likely to be.

Whats wrong :-
    Some times cannot put into first, is an audable clank from under the stick putting into third, and crunching feeling on the stick when its moved into pretty much any gear, no gear change is smooth.
    The car revs fast during gear changes, cannot make them smooth at all, unless you consider smooth to be rev like crazy and change gears like on a race track, smooth city driving is impossible. i've tried easing the throttle but have stalled it several times doing this and its just embarrising, it seems to be rev like a racing driver or stall..

Is this fixable (suspect not), how much is a new gear box likely to be ?

I'd be thinking it's maybe the gearbox linkage or the clutch rather than the gearbox itself. I wouldn't have a clue how much either would cost to repair, but I'm sure it'd be a whole lot less than the cost of a new gearbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Anan1 wrote:
    I'd be thinking it's maybe the gearbox linkage or the clutch rather than the gearbox itself. I wouldn't have a clue how much either would cost to repair, but I'm sure it'd be a whole lot less than the cost of a new gearbox.

I'm hoping its something like this myself, I quite like the car feel, but the gearbox realy needs sorting out, have heard Polo gearboxes had issues in the past, is this the same thing and what was the cost of putting it right ?

I'm missing my old Opel this point :(

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement