Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HD upscaling dvd players

• 09-06-2006 8:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Has anybody bought one of those upscaling dvd players?

I'll be buying a hdtv in the next couple of weeks (37/40" samsung lcd) and was wondering if they're worth buying, or are they a waste of money?

If they're worth getting, what one's the best?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

dajaffa wrote:
    ...and was wondering if they're worth buying, or are they a waste of money?...

The only reason to get an upscaling DVD player is if the TV that you buy prooves to have a poor internal scaler in it itself.

Fundamentely, the screen will display every picture at 1366x768 pixels. If you feed it a PAL signal (568 lines) then it will stretch it (scale it using the internal scaler on the TV) to 768 lines. If you feed it an upscaled picture (from an upscaling DVD player at 720p or 1080i) then the TV will scale it to 768 lines anyway. The second option might have a specific optimised algorithm that might be smoother but then again it might not.

Personally I would buy the TV and see what the DVD's look like "normally". Then if it is really bad - buy a upscaling player.

Being honest, the scaler in the "good" tvs (I've seen Samsung and LG ones) are more than adequate.

L.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

can recommend the sony 76, €150 bucks, hdmi out and divx playback

Advertisement