Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students in New York!

Options
  • 09-06-2006 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

hey guys,

i'm thinking of going over to some friends in new york for a few weeks and i'm just wondering if anybody from college has been there and been 20 and tried to get into clubs and bars etc? should i try to get a Fake ID? i look much older like i never get asked for ID in dublin but i just dont wanna be left behind! any ideas ppl?

thanks in advance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I haven't been over myself, but I've read up a bit and the general concensus is that they're very strict on that sort of thing, and you'll need to get a fake ID if you wanna get in anywhere. Sorry bud! I'll face this dilemma next summer if I go on a J1 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 nursebetty

Hi. I went to America after my LC, not new york spacifically but we couldn't get in many places tbh! One of my friends boyfriend was 21 and he used to get stuff from the offie and we generally drank at home and went to house parties when we got to no people over thre. Sorry to put a damper on it but they are strict!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Economaniac!

alright cool,, thanks Dave just wanna know ppl's experiences, lots of ppl on here are postgrads so they might have been and returned etc. i heard that you can get into places but ur tagged so that u cant buy drink, i wouldnt be too bothered about that like. my cousin owns a bar so getting drink wudnt be a problem just wanna be able to go out with my older friends, ya know? anyway any more people's thoughts wud be cool?

thanks nursebetty! any more ppl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Yes I was in New York recently and although i dont actually drink (they didnt know that!) I still couldnt get in anywhere. Which was crap cos loads of my mates were 21. bah! Its a beautiful city during the daytime though........... sorry I know thats no help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Yep you'll definately need ID! Very strict on that kind of thing over there. Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Anneju

Hi ! I was in NY last year, no one ever asked to see my ID, and I was only 19 at the time (and I really do not look older !!!). But I must say that I was with my cousin, who is about 30 and who really looks old, and he always ordered drinks so.. I guess it depends on the kind of place you go to, and on the kind of people you are with !
    And anyway enjoy yourself in new york :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

In a big city like NY you can get away with some sort of fake ID, doesn't have to be a passport/driving license. But they will ask for some ID.

Sangre wrote:
    In a big city like NY you can get away with some sort of fake ID, doesn't have to be a passport/driving license. But they will ask for some ID.

i guess the next question is how to get ID thats says i'm older! should i ask a friend? or shud i have one done *cough* by some ppl who know ppl who rob ppl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

i guess the next question is how to get ID thats says i'm older! should i ask a friend? or shud i have one done *cough* by some ppl who know ppl who rob ppl?

Yeah, but might want to be careful there cos its illegal to have fake ID.So be careful!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

And in they're becoming wise to the fake irish driving licences that were popular in recent years.

You def need ID. They ID prac everyone who looks under 40. Usually has to be a driving licence, student ID won't do. You'll find it very hard to get booze without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I didn't get ID'd at all when I was in NY, I was very disappointed. The implications for my apparent age are worrying.. I'm only 22 :(

rain on wrote:
    I didn't get ID'd at all when I was in NY, I was very disappointed. The implications for my apparent age are worrying.. I'm only 22 :(

Hmm...that is worrying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Samos

I "know of" someone who makes excellent IDs, which are almost indistinguishable from the real thing. He started earlier this year in order to capture the mrket from Trinity and DIT too. As a result he is rather loaded due to his asking fee of €50. Oddly enough, his tendancy to regularly purchase dozens of rolls of adhesive vinyl from school supply shops hasn't aroused much suspicion. And he's looking at some serious prison time if he's ever caught...

But you don't have to take that risk. Last summer, my friend simply made a photocopy of his passport, altered the DOB slightly and photocopied the original copy, and he claimed that this worked 60% of the time. His travelling partner simply relied on the fact that the American date system is back to front, so a reversal of day and month made him appear over 21 to the bouncers. This approach failed only when he attempted to order a drink in an Irish bar!

Samos wrote:
    I "know of" someone who makes excellent IDs, which are almost indistinguishable from the real thing. He started earlier this year in order to capture the mrket from Trinity and DIT too. As a result he is rather loaded due to his asking fee of €50. Oddly enough, his tendancy to regularly purchase dozens of rolls of adhesive vinyl from school supply shops hasn't aroused much suspicion. And he's looking at some serious prison time if he's ever caught...

He will be caught sooner or later because the Garda investigate where people get their fake ID's so people will tell them where they got their fake ID's and sp he better get out of the scam soon...

Advertisement