Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blackburn Transfer Rumours & General Chat

• 09-06-2006 9:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭

There are quite a few Rovers fans on here now so I thought I'd start a thread, especially since I got the best news I've had since the end of the season and proof that there is a God today:

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/06/06/09/SOCCER_Blackburn_Snap.html

Morten Gamst Pedersen has signed a new four-year contract at Blackburn.

The 24-year-old Norway winger cost the club £1.5million when he signed from Tromso in 2004 and scored 10 goals last season as Rovers qualified for the UEFA Cup.

The new contract which will keep him at Ewood Park until the summer of 2010.

"We are absolutely delighted that Morten has extended his deal with the club," said chairman John Williams.

"He has made a major impact here and it is very good news that he is happy to sign a new deal.

"Morten has become a big player for us and I am sure this news will be warmly welcomed by all Rovers fans."

Fantastic news. Hopefully Stevie Reid will put pen to paper on a new deal soon too. More reports linking him with Tottenham today and a few more linking Bellamy with a 6 million move to Liverpool.

Until I hear either player come out and say they want to leave though, I'm not believing a bit of it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

as much as i always dreamed we'd get a thread like this, i dont think we#ll have nearly enough dealings in the transfer market to warrant it, hehe :)

either way, no complaints and YES on the MGP! heard it on the radio earlier, was absolutely delighted and i figured he definately would after the way he rebuked spurs earlier in the season when they tried to sign him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

as much as i always dreamed we'd get a thread like this, i dont think we#ll have nearly enough dealings in the transfer market to warrant it, hehe :)

I wouldn't say that Ricky, we've already been linked with:

Emile Heskey - http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/blackburn/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/06/06/09/manual_111455.html&TEAMHD=blackburn
    Jason Roberts - http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/blackburn/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/06/06/06/manual_115212.html&TEAMHD=blackburn
    Matteo Ferrari & Marco Materazzi - http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/blackburn/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/06/06/07/manual_091354.html&TEAMHD=blackburn

Meanwhile, Liverpool are meant to be keen on Bellamy http://www.sportinglife.com/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/06/06/09/manual_121052.html

Whatever about Roberts and the two Italian defenders, I'm hoping that we won't be letting Bellamy go and replacing him with Heskey.

Hopefully there's no truth in the Heskey story at all, although if there is, I think Hughes would be buying him because Kuqi hasn't worked out and he wants a striker who can win and hold up the ball (if Heskey can even manage that) to partner Bellamy.

Paul Dickov was released last week too. He was a great servant to the club but perhaps it was time for him to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Whats the budget this summer? With UEFA football Hughes should have a reasonable war-chest.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Do all managers in England have a disorder which makes them think that Heskey is a good player?!
    Getting MGP to sign on was as good as any new signing Rovers could have made, especially with a lot of other clubs sniffing about.

mike65 wrote:
    Whats the budget this summer? With UEFA football Hughes should have a reasonable war-chest.

Mike.

Hasn't been announced. The board have just announced that Hughes will have money to strengthen the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Do all managers in England have a disorder which makes them think that Heskey is a good player?!.

If they do sign him, i'll give him a chance......but to be honest i hope i dont have to, blackburn should be aiming for someone of a higher standard than heskey, but unfortunetly of a similar price/wage range - id much prefer to see hartson ahead of heskey, although id also have my doubts about him.

If they do sign him, i'll give him a chance......but to be honest i hope i dont have to, blackburn should be aiming for someone of a higher standard than heskey, but unfortunetly of a similar price/wage range - id much prefer to see hartson ahead of heskey, although id also have my doubts about him.

I'd imagine Hughes is only enquiring about Heskey in the hope that he'll get him on the cheap because Birmingham will want to offload some players on high wages.

There's no way Rovers would pay the 5 million that the Blues are apparently looking for. Did Heskey even score 5 goals in the PL last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I think you're being overly harsh on Heskey. Of the three names I've seen mentioned as CF signings (Mido and Hartson the other two) I'd take Heskey every time. He shouldn't be judged on last season. He combines pace and strength, and would be a good foil for Bellamy, though at £5million he's overpriced. Unfortuantely, the transfers of Andy Johnson and Dean Ashton have sort of set the standard for transfer fees of forwards from the Championship.

I think you're being overly harsh on Heskey. Of the three names I've seen mentioned as CF signings (Mido and Hartson the other two) I'd take Heskey every time. He shouldn't be judged on last season. He combines pace and strength, and would be a good foil for Bellamy, though at £5million he's overpriced. Unfortuantely, the transfers of Andy Johnson and Dean Ashton have sort of set the standard for transfer fees of forwards from the Championship.

Of the three, I'd take Mido any day, poor attitude or not. He's far younger than the other two and proved himself in the PL last season.

I thought he was a tremendous player for Spurs and that was shown when they struggled while he was at the African Nations Cup. That said, they didn't depend on him as much towards the end of the season but he was still an important player for Spurs for alot of the season.

Heskey has not been a good player since he left leicester ( well and that first season at liverpool )...he wasnt particularly great after that with liverpool or with england during his time at liverpool and with birmingham...well really gone off the boil altogether.

I would take any player in the world at blackburn ahead of heskey...hell, i could do a better job then heskey atm!

• Advertisement

Heskey has not been a good player since he left leicester ( well and that first season at liverpool )...he wasnt particularly great after that with liverpool or with england during his time at liverpool and with birmingham...well really gone off the boil altogether.

I would take any player in the world at blackburn ahead of heskey...hell, i could do a better job then heskey atm!

I'd take Heskey on a free or for 1-2 million but I wouldn't be happy if Blackburn gave any more than 2 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Brilliant news for Arsenal if this happens.

I'd say there'd be one or two unhappy Blackburn supporters.

Roddy23 wrote:
    Brilliant news for Arsenal if this happens.

I'd say there'd be one or two unhappy Blackburn supporters.

For a minute there i thought they were going for bellamy..........but this is worse :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

He'd be a decent backup for blackburn. Skysports have picked up on the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Great news that MGP is signed up to a long term deal, Same with Reidy. Essential that Blackburn hold onto players who preform. We'll see more of Reid next season as well.

I wouldnt give 5c for Heskey, he hasnt done it at teh bigger clubs, even takin him 4 free, why? he would just be a drain on resources. Roberts would be a smarter move.

I'd like to see Blackburn make big money for Rude Van Nist. < 20 goals per season right there.

Mido is maybe a more realistic target, fiery and lively,sharp in front of goal, just what we need.

Also someone said Kuqi hasnt worked out! eh What!!!??? ok he'll never be as good as Bellamy, but hes a v useful team player who knows were the goal is and can score when the pressures on. 2/3 choice striker.

Great news that MGP is signed up to a long term deal, Same with Reidy. Essential that Blackburn hold onto players who preform. We'll see more of Reid next season as well.

I wouldnt give 5c for Heskey, he hasnt done it at teh bigger clubs, even takin him 4 free, why? he would just be a drain on resources. Roberts would be a smarter move.

I'd like to see Blackburn make big money for Rude Van Nist. < 20 goals per season right there.

Mido is maybe a more realistic target, fiery and lively,sharp in front of goal, just what we need.

Also someone said Kuqi hasnt worked out! eh What!!!??? ok he'll never be as good as Bellamy, but hes a v useful team player who knows were the goal is and can score when the pressures on. 2/3 choice striker.

First off, Blackburn wouldn't have near the cash for RVN. He wouldn't be interested in signing for the club either and TBH I wouldn't want him to, why pay 10 million+ for a striker his age. Not that Rovers would have the 10 million in the first place.

As for Kuqi, I remember watching him in the semi-final against United and he was dire. Bellamy and Dickov were injured and I knew if Rovers were to score, the goal would come from midfield, which it did. In fairness, if he'd worked out Blackburn wouldn't be looking for a player like Mido or Heskey to play off Bellamy.

Still, he is a good third or fourth choice striker and was free so I can't complain too much. He's worth keeping to throw on with twenty minutes left to trouble the opposition's defence.

As for Cygan, he might do a bit better without the bright lights and constant pressure of Highbury (or Ashburton Grove) on him but I'd still prefer to see a better left back signing. That has been a weak point for Rovers for a number of seasons now.

Hughes is apparently holding talks with Stevie Reid - http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/blackburn/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/06/06/15/SOCCER_Tottenham_Nightlead.html&TEAMHD=blackburn

I still won't believe anything printed about Reid wanting to leave until I see a quote from the man himself though.

Possible Bid For Delaney of Villa

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/news_details.aspx?story_id=366199&l_id=1&t_id=5
    Blackburn boss Mark Hughes has been urged to make a bid for Aston Villa defender Mark Delaney or risk losing him to Watford

Bellamy is being linked with Liverpool again for 6 million. Apparently it's his "dream move", although I've yet to see a quote from the player, like many of the stories I've seen about Blackburn players that apparently want to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Steven Reid has signed a new contract with Blackburn

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/blackburn_rovers/5094508.stm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Good news for Blackburn fans! was one of there best players this season!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

great player. I'd liked to have seen him at Utd all the same though as I think he has the ability to boss the midfield there but he will do wonders for Blackburn all the same.

Fantastic news. All Rovers need to sign now is Bellamy.

excellent news :) he made the right decision! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Bellamy looks almost certain to join Liverpool for £6million. It's a decent price (from a Liverpool point of view) for a player with such a chequered past, but I'd still have some doubts over his termperament.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/liverpool/article1090902.ece
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,27-2233219,00.html

If he does go, it leaves Blackburn with one striker, Kuqi. Hughes had better get the cheque book out soon!

2 out of 3 vital players signing on isn't too bad for Rovers I guess. In fairness to Bellamy, I imagine any pro would find it hard to turn down a move to your boyhood club.

2 out of 3 vital players signing on isn't too bad for Rovers I guess. In fairness to Bellamy, I imagine any pro would find it hard to turn down a move to your boyhood club.

He hasn't left just yet. I'm hoping he'll act like the arrogant little fooker he can and Benitez will pull out of the deal.

I am expecting him to go though. Hopefully Rovers can get a replacement because, without Bellamy, the team are in bad need of a goal scorer. At the same time, they managed to get by without him for large chunks of last season.

Lemlin wrote:
    If he does go, it leaves Blackburn with one striker, Kuqi. Hughes had better get the cheque book out soon!

Yeah they will need to sign a quality striker with the money they get for bellamy. Id love to see Derbyshire given a chance though - too many times down the years blackburn have produced good talent and not really given it the chances it needs,

Beattie and Gallagher spring to mind straight off, im sure there are more.

• Advertisement

Yeah they will need to sign a quality striker with the money they get for bellamy. Id love to see Derbyshire given a chance though - too many times down the years blackburn have produced good talent and not really given it the chances it needs,

Beattie and Gallagher spring to mind straight off, im sure there are more.

I know that but Rovers need a proven striker. Speaking of Beattie now almost makes me sick - 6.5 million and him for Davies, what a waste.

Lemlin wrote:
    He hasn't left just yet. I'm hoping he'll act like the arrogant little fooker he can and Benitez will pull out of the deal.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/5097454.stm

He has now

what has Sparky got in mind for forwards to replace him

Blackburn's first signing of the season:

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=398550&CPID=8&clid=5&lid=&title=Rovers+clinch+first+signing

Whoop-de-woo ;)

Meanwhile, Lucas Neill has been linked with a move away after his WC performances and Wigan have had a bid turned down for Savage, apparently they offered a player and cash.

Word has it the player was Jason Roberts because Dave Whelan was on Sky Sports News this morning saying that Roberts will more than likely be leaving Wigan and Blackburn have already enquired about him. I have no link for this but several people have commented on it on the official Rovers board.

Link to Savage story: http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=399688&CPID=8&clid=5&lid=&title=Rovers+turn+down+Savage+'bid'

what has Sparky got in mind for forwards to replace him

Francis Jeffers on a free

Can't believe he's still only 25!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Lemlin wrote:

Word has it the player was Jason Roberts because Dave Whelan was on Sky Sports News this morning saying that Roberts will more than likely be leaving Wigan and Blackburn have already enquired about him.

I've no link, but I've just heard Roberts has signed for Blackburn.

• Advertisement

Nope, not at all. He's a tremendous player and, as I said before, whatever he does off the pitch is his own business. Chances are that, like most of these cases, this will be thrown out of court anyway.

Great news about Roberts. He's not Bellamy but he's the best striker we'll have had in a good few years before Bellamy arrived. Is Roberts on a free or is it undisclosed?

As for Jeffers, only Hughes knows why he signed him. If he comes good I'll be amazed and it is then that I will actually begin to believe that Mark Hughes is God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Not really blackburn related but no where to post it(sorry lemlin!)

Anyone think wigan are in serious trouble of being relegated next season? Bullard's gone and now roberts. Chimbonda wants to leave aswell. The top players they try to sign arent interested in a move to wigan. Next season will be a big struggle.

Jason roberts only has a year left on his contract so it wont be for free but cheap enough.

As for jeffers, hes not bad for a free. He wasnt too bad last season for charlton when he played alongside bent. They went 5 in midfield and dropped him so he struggled. He had no chance of taking bent's place. He'll be a decent squad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Roberts is a good signing and a decent replacement for Bellamy. Probably provides a little bit more of a mix of pace with power compensating for the loss of Dickov too. I still reckon they need someone else there as I can't see Jeffers coming good.

I was going to post and say why the hell anyone would sign Jeffers, but I hadn't realised that Roberts had joined, that's a great signing. He offers a more physical presence than Bellamy and he still has bags of pace to burn.

• Advertisement

He needs a partner though. Jeffers shouldn't be more than a squad player, like Kuqi. That said, I've been doing some maths:

Let's say Roberts cost 2 million.
    If Hughes had 5 million spending to start with (which he should of at least had thanks to UEFA Cup qualification) and Rovers got 6 million for Bellamy, that leaves near enough ten million after buying Roberts.

I reckon Hughes has a few tricks up his sleeve. I'm still hoping Mido is one.

Edit: Just reading the official website and the chairman talks about how Franny's contract is "heavily incentivised" so looks like if he does bugger all for the club, he'll get bugger all from the club.

Mido "turns down" Blackburn
    Blackburn apparently had a £3m bid for the 23-year-old Egyptian international accepted but the player opted to stay with the Serie A club.

Mido, who had an 18-month loan spell at Tottenham, is quoted as saying: "I am not interested in Blackburn.

"I want to remain at Roma and prove that I can help this team go on to achieve success."

Fair enough then Mido. Hopefully Hughes can get someone else. About a month left to the start of the season now and the WC over so it's time to start buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

THe fact Roma will be in the champions league and be a serious challenge for the Seire A next season is a great incentive for him to stay at Roma now.

Mido and Jason Roberts would be a great strike force.

I hope Hughes manages to get him somehow.

More rumours in the papers today about the possibility of signing both Benni McCarthy and Mido, something more solid seems close with sky sports reporting the following:
    Blackburn Rovers are set to snap up Chile international midfielder Jorge Acuna on a free transfer.

The 27-year-old is out of contract following the conclusion of his Feyenoord deal and is en-route to England.

Acuna is set to undergo a medical with the Ewood Park outfit before penning a three-year deal with the Premiership outfit.

More here: http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=404195&CPID=8&clid=5&lid=3&title=Acuna+nears+Rovers+switch

Hopefully another shrewd free transfer capture for Mark Hughes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Acuna was my man of the match in the Ireland-Chile game. He looked an excellent player and I was very suprised to see that Feyenoord were letting him go for nothing. He's a holding midfielder who does a lot of work off the ball.

Hopefully Hughes can get a few of these players in soon. They need pre-season training.

Didier Agathe is on trial too. Roberts and Jeffers both scored in a friendly today:

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=404361&CPID=8&clid=5&lid=2&title=Wednesday+friendly+round-up

Looks like Mido won't be coming. Benni McCarthy was mentioned again on Sky Sports News this morning.

Apparently it's in the papers today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement